X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macaddict
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by kkingsto

If thats the case, how do I know where what goes where?
    If you look at my pictures, you will see that there are Lines A, B and C. You have to make sure that the CT for Line A is for Line A coming in from your meter. Same with Line B.

Can you post pictures of what your setup is?
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

• kkingsto
      • Mar 2018

Installer told me that the solaredge portal was misconfigured so they said they fixed that. I'm wondering if the placement of the CT's is an issue or not.

Here's my picture of the main panel. On the red wire, you can see the CT for the watt node and right behind it is the connector to the SE10000A. On the black wire, the connector for the SE10000A is close to teh bus with the CT up and behind it.20180403_172306.gif

Does it matter where the CT's are connected, assuming everything else is wired correctly.

Thanks.
      Last edited by kkingsto; 04-04-2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• macaddict
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Installer told me that the solaredge portal was misconfigured so they said they fixed that. I'm wondering if the placement of the CT's is an issue or not.

Here's my picture of the main panel. On the red wire, you can see the CT for the watt node and right behind it is the connector to the SE10000A. On the black wire, the connector for the SE10000A is close to teh bus with the CT up and behind it.

Does it matter where the CT's are connected, assuming everything else is wired correctly.

Thanks.
        The picture didn't come through

Comment

• kkingsto
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by macaddict

The picture didn't come through
          Should be there now...

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Here's my picture of the main panel. On the red wire, you can see the CT for the watt node and right behind it is the connector to the SE10000A. On the black wire, the connector for the SE10000A is close to teh bus with the CT up and behind it.20180403_172306.gif

Thanks.
            Yes you have to configure solaredge to correspond with how the CTs are installed. In this case he has one measuring NET and the other measuring consumption.

You can see the lineside taps for your inverter and one CT is on the MSP side while the other is on the line side of the tap.

The ****ty part is that the taps are are the ends of the available wire so it doesn't look like either CT can be moved to match the others placement.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• weather spotter
              • Jul 2018

Thanks for the thread! I found this thread and signed up to see the pics I just did this install last night and this morning and thought I would share what I found out. I have a SE 3800 HD wave inverter (US) grid tied to a secondary remote breaker box, this meant I had to pull ~100 feet of wire thorough a crawl space to make the connection. I bought the cheep watt meter from the ebay link in the first post (comes in a Sun power box and has a 2015 MFG date and no instructions) and a spool of shield cat 5e wire.

Just as a warning to others The solar edge installation guide for the meter is out of date for the newer HD inverters, this caused me 2 hours of pulling my hair out trying to figure why it was not communication to the inverter.

After some digging I found an updated (Europe guide) https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...ge-devices.pdf it calls out three difeernt things than the older US guide does:
              1. on page 4 it calls out that wires for a wattnode install bust be reversed at the inverter B-A and A-B.
              2. It also lists that the ground wire from the RJ486 must also go to the main ground bar at one end of the cable run (missing from US guide). so it goes to the G screw and to the ground bar in the safety disconnect box.
              3. Thirdly it also showed that the HD screen shots and the procedure for setting up the meter on the HD inverter which is missing the "revenue grade meter" option on the device list screen. The way around this is to set up as a multi unit with only one meter then the option shows up and the inverter configuration is just like described.

After I fixed the wires and could configure it right I was good to go and it started uploading the new info right away. it even showed up in my app within 5 min my only issue was my export and import data was backwards. I checked my CT clamps and they were positioned with the "this side to grid" pointing to the grid,but since my data was backwards I flipped them and then my data was correct.

Hope that helps anyone else looking to do the upgrade for a fraction of the cost! its a 20 min install in the breaker box if you are comfortable working in there and should take about 5-8 min to set up at the inverter if you follow the non US installation guide.

Comment

• macaddict
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Glad it was able to help.

This is interesting...

Originally posted by weather spotter
                1. on page 4 it calls out that wires for a wattnode install bust be reversed at the inverter B-A and A-B.

Comment

• weather spotter
                  • Jul 2018

I thought that the reversing of the wires was odd, I hooked them up A-A B-B at first before I found the correct configuration screen and it did not work. I changed the wires and the configuration at the same time so I don

Comment

• johnhon
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by macaddict
                    Sorry it took so long. Totally forgot to take the pictures until today.

Here is my complete setup: IMG_2622.JPG

This is my complete electrical panel showing the line-side tap, CTs and 240v circuit breaker:
                    IMG_2610.JPG

Here is a closeup of the line side taps and CTs: IMG_2611.JPG

Here is a closeup of one of the CT's showing the orientation (labels towards the outside meter): IMG_2612.JPG

Here is how I routed the power and CT's to the Wattnode. I used a 1/2" conduit and I couldn't fit both (the romex and the CT wires) hence the CT wires are outside the conduit. I would suggest using at least a 3/4" conduit: IMG_2617.JPG

Closeup of the Wattnode. CT wires and COM wires on the left side. AC on the right side. When you are putting the CT's, you need to make sure that CT for line 1 (A) is hooked up the AC cord from Line 1 (Black cable for me). CT for Line 2 (B) is lined up to AC cable for Line 2 (B - RED). I used used a very simple 240v meter and checked each line from the circuit breaker against the lines coming into the panel. If I got 240 v, I knew that I had the wrong one. If I didn't get any voltage between them, I knew it was the same line. IMG_2616.JPG

I used a shielded Cat 5e cable to connect the Wattnode to the Inverter. Green cable is for internet connection, blue cable is coming from the wattnode: IMG_2618.JPG
                    IMG_2619.JPG

Sorry it took me so long. Let me know if you have any other questions...
                    I'm trying to view the .jpg's you posted but I keep getting an 'invalid file specified' message. Is this because it's an old post?

Comment

• macaddict
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by johnhon

I'm trying to view the .jpg's you posted but I keep getting an 'invalid file specified' message. Is this because it's an old post?
                      I can still see them...

Comment

• johnhon
                        • Feb 2019

Thank you! I guess I had do get accepted by the moderator to see the images. Great write up!

Comment

• Somedumbhomeowner
                          • Feb 2019

This is Excellent! I just had an inverter warrantied and the new one came with a revenue grade meter for production. I just bought a second one from ebay to measure consumption. Hopefully I can figured the details of having both connected to the inverter when the time comes. Appreciate all the info in the thread!

Comment

• macaddict
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Somedumbhomeowner
                            and the new one came with a revenue grade meter for production.
                            Doesn't that meter also provide you with consumption data?

Comment

• weather spotter
                              • Jul 2018

The revenue meter is just for the production numbers you need a second one for consumption.

Comment

• liquix
                                • Apr 2019

Thank you very much for these instructions. I just had a question on hooking up power to the wattnode. Here is a picture of my panel, which breaker would be best to tie the power into?

Comment

Working...