Wattnode Installation Picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wattnode Installation Picture?

I just purchased a wattnode WNC-3Y-208-MB on Ebay for really cheap. It came brand new in a Sunpower box. If anyone is looking for one there are many of them on ebay right now cheap. I want to hook it up to my Solaredge SE5000 which i read it is compatible with. I have a line side tap so I would be installing it on my main panel. I understand the wiring part but saw a few pictures where it is installed in a separate metal enclosure outside the panel? Can it just be installed inside the actual panel? How are these typically connected. Does anyone have a picture of their wattnode install so I can get and idea of the mounting, wiring, etc.

It really depends if you have enough space in your panel. Most likely it needs to go outside (between the panel and the inverter). I'm attaching some documentation on the installation. I'll need to open up my panel and the junction box that I used to install my WattNode which I can probably do tomorrow for you.
    Attached Files
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

Originally posted by macaddict View Post
      It really depends if you have enough space in your panel. Most likely it needs to go outside (between the panel and the inverter). I'm attaching some documentation on the installation. I'll need to open up my panel and the junction box that I used to install my WattNode which I can probably do tomorrow for you.
      Macaddict, I look forward to your reply. Will be doing the same install as the OP.

Comment

Most likely it needs to go outside (between the panel and the inverter). .
        To measure consumption OP wants it between his MSP ( panel ) and meter not between the MSP and inverter.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Since I have a line side tap I think I might just install it in the disconnect box under my meter. Should be plenty of room to install it inside. The utility did put a lockout tag on that box but I don't see what the issue would be opening it up?
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry it took so long. Totally forgot to take the pictures until today.

Here is my complete setup: IMG_2622.JPG

This is my complete electrical panel showing the line-side tap, CTs and 240v circuit breaker:
            IMG_2610.JPG

Here is a closeup of the line side taps and CTs: IMG_2611.JPG

Here is a closeup of one of the CT's showing the orientation (labels towards the outside meter): IMG_2612.JPG

Here is how I routed the power and CT's to the Wattnode. I used a 1/2" conduit and I couldn't fit both (the romex and the CT wires) hence the CT wires are outside the conduit. I would suggest using at least a 3/4" conduit: IMG_2617.JPG

Closeup of the Wattnode. CT wires and COM wires on the left side. AC on the right side. When you are putting the CT's, you need to make sure that CT for line 1 (A) is hooked up the AC cord from Line 1 (Black cable for me). CT for Line 2 (B) is lined up to AC cable for Line 2 (B - RED). I used used a very simple 240v meter and checked each line from the circuit breaker against the lines coming into the panel. If I got 240 v, I knew that I had the wrong one. If I didn't get any voltage between them, I knew it was the same line. IMG_2616.JPG

I used a shielded Cat 5e cable to connect the Wattnode to the Inverter. Green cable is for internet connection, blue cable is coming from the wattnode: IMG_2618.JPG
            IMG_2619.JPG

Sorry it took me so long. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Comment

Thanks for the update and pictures. Will definitely be useful when we take the plunge.

Comment

Originally posted by inspron View Post
                Thanks for the update and pictures. Will definitely be useful when we take the plunge.
                inspron Did you end up installing your consumption meter?

Comment

I was excited to see your post with exactly the information I was looking for! But when I click on the pictures, I get a blank page. Is there something I need to do to see the pictures?

I was also wondering if it is possible to not install a new double pole 240V breaker and instead connect line voltage phase A to one 120V breaker and B to the next breaker down (and N to the neutral bar)?

Thanks!

MOD NOTE: Hang in there, you should be able to see the pictures soon after the forum admin has given your account the final approval. Welcome to the forum.
                  Last edited by sdold; 03-28-2018, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Just had a WattNode installed by my solar installer. I have the SolarEdge SE-10000A. When I look at the graphs on the solaredge monitoring site, I'm seeing some really weird numbers. For example it shows I generated 47kWh today and that I've used roughly that much (which is impossible because when you look at the previous day the numbers were much lower). Anybody got any idea what is going on?

The installer said this was his first time installing this. And I was watching him work.

1) CT's are below the CT's of the SE-10000A.
                    2) Kept switching wires on the Wattnode around (he had the CT's wired the wrong way).

Thanks!!!

Attached Files

Comment

It looks like the CT's may have been switched for Line 1 and Line 2.
                      Last edited by macaddict; 04-02-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

It looks like the CT's may have been switched for Line 1 and Line 2.
                        If thats the case, how do I know where what goes where?

Comment

Originally posted by kkingsto View Post
                          Just had a WattNode installed by my solar installer. I have the SolarEdge SE-10000A. When I look at the graphs on the solaredge monitoring site, I'm seeing some really weird numbers. For example it shows I generated 47kWh today and that I've used roughly that much (which is impossible because when you look at the previous day the numbers were much lower). Anybody got any idea what is going on?

The installer said this was his first time installing this. And I was watching him work.

2) Kept switching wires on the Wattnode around (he had the CT's wired the wrong way).

Thanks!!!
                          I think the CT are in the wrong position they supposed to go on the incoming power lines

Comment

i think the installer has to turn on the function in solaredge portal.... i had the same issue before
                            Last edited by Jayc5627; 04-03-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kkingsto View Post
                              What is it that you are trying to measure with this device?
                              it sounds like you have an Inverter with built in Revenue Grade Meter (RGM) and added another wattnode, thus two sets of CTs.
                              putting the CTs in the same location will measure the same thing though.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                              X