X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Syberdog
    Where would I find that information? (the "installation requirements).

NFPA allows free access to the NEC via their website. click on "NEC" then "Free online access to..." then "NFPA 70 ..." then "Free access" next to the 'View this document'

Concrete encased electrode is 250.52 A(3)

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Other metal (rebar, mesh) must be electrically bonded to the initial 20' rebar.
      It's what our inspector wanted. 1 solid piece for the initial length and bond (rebar twist ties were OK) the rest of the rebar to the initial
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Syberdog
        • Sep 2017

Thanks for that link Foo1bar, it's very helpful to have code books available - especially for a one-off project reference. Section 690 is also relevant.
        I have been trying to do as much I can beforehand, in order to minimize the time & cost of the electrician I contacted a few months ago,to handle the actual hookup.
        It looks like something as simple sounding as a ground rod is actually more involved than first thought.

Also interesting that the code says the copper coated ground rod needs to be 8' while my elect. company (who will be doing the only inspection) only requires 6' per their manual.
        It appears my choices are either pound the copper grounding rod in or use 20' of #4 in conc.
        Since I need another ground rod at the at the other end of the run, (PV Meter/Disconnect switch equip grounding), I may get a roll of #4 to put into the concrete.
        A 25' roll is only $20 and I could do both center ballasts since the inverter is mounted on a pole in the middle between them.
        Do I just leave a few inches of #4 sticking out of the conc or do I need a short piece of 5/8" rod also sticking out of the conc to clamp the #4 and equip/frame all together?

An observation was made about my sandy-clay-silty soils- yes we have had grounding issues with the elec. fence- and have to use multiple ground stakes for the solar energizer.

It appears I am getting to the point that I should contact my electrician to review & advise or start his work-
        But anything going into the ballast holes has to be decided now as I gotta get the conc poured this week -temps are dropping into the 40's at night and the rails have shipped.....

Comment

• AzRoute66
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2017

I am also in caliche land and had to drive a second (third?, i forget) full length ground rod to get my electric fence to work. Caliche sucks.
          Last edited by AzRoute66; 10-08-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...