Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice PLEASE! 2 @ 235 watt Hanwha 60 cell solar panels & 40A EPEVER Tracer 4210A CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice PLEASE! 2 @ 235 watt Hanwha 60 cell solar panels & 40A EPEVER Tracer 4210A CC

I'm just getting started... Off the grid system... So here's what I have so far, any and all advice is appreciated! I also have purchased 50' 10awg pv wire, MC4 connectors & crimper, 2 30amp inline mc4 & 2 20 amp (really could use some advice wiring in general, fusing the system properly, what size fuses and where? disconnects, grounding etc...) panels were $110 each, MPPT 40 Amp CC $119, wifi adapter $20, maybe another $50 for the rest... still need batteries (how many? what type?)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by texman38; 09-29-2017, 06:40 PM.

What are you wanting to power with this?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      What are you wanting to power with this?
      I have 3 acres, with a barn and some other out building, an RV, a golf cart etc... but basically I'm building it just as an emergency back up power source and as a hobbie at this point, once i see what it can do I will expand from there... so basically having an inverter (not sure size, advice?) and how many batteries for a system like this? what can i expect from a couple panels and a 40 amp CC? I really am not going to be running anything significant (i know thats what everyone asks... load calculations, then build a system to meet it) thats really not what I'm doing... I bought the panels and what i believe will be a correct CC for my panels and want finish out the rest of it with a reasonable amount of batteries so that I can run a reasonable size inverter based on my 2 panels and CC...
      Last edited by texman38; 09-29-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Was just looking at the panel sticker/specs. I think this is the first one I've seen that doesn't have the voltage temperature correction factor although I suppose it could be lower down than what the picture captured. If not specified, is that common?

As far as batteries go, your charge controller should support either a 12 V or 24 V system. If you have a preference, choose one. The 12 V system would mean the batteries could receive 470 W / 12 V = 39 A and the 24 V system could receive 20 A of charging current. Hence a nice target, if you go with lead acid, would be something around a 390 Ah capacity for the 12 V choice and around 200 Ah for the 24 V. I think you will find bargains on the 200-ish Ah batteries easier to find. Without knowing more about location, mounting, and loads that might be all the answer you will get.
        Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-29-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
          Was just looking at the panel sticker/specs. I think this is the first one I've seen that doesn't have the voltage temperature correction factor although I suppose it could be lower down than what the picture captured. If not specified, is that common?
          there was no other technical info below what was pictured

Comment

Originally posted by texman38 View Post

I have 3 acres, with a barn and some other out building, an RV, a golf cart etc... but basically I'm building it just as an emergency back up power source and as a hobbie at this point, once i see what it can do I will expand from there... so basically having an inverter (not sure size, advice?) and how many batteries for a system like this? what can i expect from a couple panels and a 40 amp CC? I really am not going to be running anything significant (i know thats what everyone asks... load calculations, then build a system to meet it) thats really not what I'm doing... I bought the panels and what i believe will be a correct CC for my panels and want finish out the rest of it with a reasonable amount of batteries so that I can run a reasonable size inverter based on my 2 panels and CC...
            Quick battery size calculation with 470watts of pv and that 40amp MPPT CC would be around a 400Ah 12 volt FLA type system which should safely generate about 1200 watt hours a day.

Comment

A more complete data sheet is here. I am not sure that temp coeffficients typically make it onto the the label on the panel.

http://www.mlsolar.com/hanwha-sf-235...w-solar-panel/

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Hence a nice target, if you go with lead acid, would be something around a 390 Ah capacity for the 12 V choice and around 200 Ah for the 24 V. I think you will find bargains on the 200-ish Ah batteries easier to find.
                Can you explain this a little more plz, break it down in terms of how many batteries exactly what type? alink maybe even to the kind of battery etc..)and what kind of dc to ac power inverter would be correct/reasonable??? thanks BTW all this is very helpful...

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Quick battery size calculation with 470watts of pv and that 40amp MPPT CC would be around a 400Ah 12 volt FLA type system which should safely generate about 1200 watt hours a day.
                  Thanks for the info... i wish I understood more about all this but i don't... so if you could explain it a bit better i would appreciate it... 400AH at 12 volt would be how many batteries and what type? any recommendations? would you suggest 12 volt? why not 24 volts? is 12 volts more versatile in terms of being able to run small things...

Comment

Can you explain this a little more plz, break it down in terms of how many batteries exactly what type? alink maybe even to the kind of battery etc..)and what kind of dc to ac power inverter would be correct/reasonable??? thanks BTW all this is very helpful...
                    OK, if you go with Lead Acid, your two choices boil down to Flooded (FLA) and AGM. If you go to the Batteries section of this forum, starting with the stickies, you can get a feel for their differences in maintenance, charging, cycle life, price, warranty, etc. You should get a good idea from that which you might prefer. That was a lot of variables so I think you can appreciate that pointing out a specific battery as a 'good deal' is impossible. Also, good deals on batteries are very regional and time dependent, you may get more satisfaction by identifying batteries that are in stock in your area that narrow down your choices a bit.

Edit: I will add to limit your consideration to batteries that are sold as 'deep cycle'. Also, if you think most/all of your loads will be off the inverter, I would suggest the 24 V system, either with 2 x 12 V or 4 x 6V, all in the 200 Ah capacity vicinity.
                    Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-29-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

OK, if you go with Lead Acid, your two choices boil down to Flooded (FLA) and AGM. If you go to the Batteries section of this forum, starting with the stickies, you can get a feel for their differences in maintenance, charging, cycle life, price, warranty, etc. You should get a good idea from that which you might prefer. That was a lot of variables so I think you can appreciate that pointing out a specific battery as a 'good deal' is impossible. Also, good deals on batteries are very regional and time dependent, you may get more satisfaction by identifying batteries that are in stock in your area that narrow down your choices a bit.
                      ok, yes i understand the difference between flood and agm, so my system at 12 volts will really only support 400AH, which is essentially 2 12v 200ah batteries, or 4 x 6volt 200AH. My understanding is that the flooded will last longer and i believe are cheaper, golf cart batteries ok in your opinion?
                      Last edited by texman38; 10-01-2017, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks, i wonder if you would mind talking on the phone with me about this? do you have an hourly rate

Comment

so my system at 12 volts will really only support 400AH, which is essentially 2 12v 200ah batteries, or 2 6volt 200AH.
                          Two 12v batteries in parallel is 12v 400ah
                          two 6v batteries in series is 12v 200ah
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Two 12v batteries in parallel is 12v 400ah
                            two 6v batteries in series is 12v 200ah
                            Thanks ButchDeal, it looks like you have been on here awhile, i have quite a few other questions, would you mind talking about this over the phone?

Comment

Whoa. Give some other folks a chance to chime in before you commit to anything. Or else be back here "well I thought this would work, but the shop is full of smoke now"....

First, everybody's loads always grow, and 12V systems are limited by the amount of power you can move through the cables to the internal wires in the inverter (that means most 12V inverters skimp on the inside wires)
                              I'd suggest wire the panels in Series (if the Voc spec x2 is under the Max input rated voltage of the Controller) and use a 24V battery bank. Start cheap with a couple of 12V "marine batteries" which would give you 24V @ 200ah ($200) Or 4800 watt hours, half of which are usable. Need more power ? You panels could support 4, 6V golf cart batteries wired in series, giving 24V @ 400ah ($400) 9,600 watt hours , 4,800 usable.

Sizing the inverter. It needs to be large enough to not overload on your heaviest load. But larger inverters consume more power at idle. So knowing what your loads are before you start buying stuff, becomes important.. Most energy star fridges consume about 1Kwh daily.... Little dorm fridges, consume as much, or more, made really cheaply, little insulation, higher losses.
                              Most fridges will require a 1,000w inverter (pure sine) to reliably start up.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                              X