X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NukeEngineer

No need, I linked a video to youtube with a scope showing the signal. Also, here's the patent on the communications method.

As disclosed, a two-way automatic communications system (TWACS) and method are used by an electrical utility in which outbound messages are sent from the utility to a consumer and inbound messages are sent from the consumer to the utility. The respective outbound and inbound messages are sent and received over the utility's power distribution system. A receiver including an analog filter component, an A/D converter and a digital processor detects the outbound messages. A substation transceiver is configured for sending analog outbound messages from the utility to a consumer. A transponder is configured for sending inbound messages to the transceiver from the consumer to the utility, the respective outbound and inbound messages being modulated on a mains signal of the utility's power distribution system. The receiver in another form includes an analog filter component, a detecting circuit and a demodulator.

It's a Part 15 device, so if Alcara and SolarEdge can't get a filter algorithm for it, I can have it removed due to the interference it's causing.
    The link pics aren't coming through on my Apple. But if the modulation is on the order of the line
    frequency, you can forget about beads helping. Apparently the distortion on the basic 60HZ is
    being seen as a fault. Equipment exists to help, but at the operating power level could be quite
    costly. Maybe removing the generator is the best solution, if you can't turn off the detector in
    the inverter. Bruce Roe

Comment

• NukeEngineer
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2017

I think I read that the comms is at 63KHz. The meter manufacturer was being very responsive (I got forwarded the emails between them and POCO) so I imagine they understand that their meter cannot be allowed to cause interference. I did google for "PLC filter" and saw one product, which was a boxed filter (not a small choke) that you had to put in series with your load-side feed. No price, but I'm guessing several hundred $$$ or more.

If there was a simple cheap fix, I would think the meter manufacturer would just say so.

I'll let them (Aclara and SolarEdge) try to work this out for a little while, but if they can't figure out it then I will insist they replace with either a cellular comms module, ethernet, or basically anything else. If I get pushback, then I'll go the FCC route.
      https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• idnominal
        • Aug 2016

I think I read that the comms is at 63KHz. The meter manufacturer was being very responsive (I got forwarded the emails between them and POCO) so I imagine they understand that their meter cannot be allowed to cause interference. I did google for "PLC filter" and saw one product, which was a boxed filter (not a small choke) that you had to put in series with your load-side feed. No price, but I'm guessing several hundred $$$ or more.

If there was a simple cheap fix, I would think the meter manufacturer would just say so.

I'll let them (Aclara and SolarEdge) try to work this out for a little while, but if they can't figure out it then I will insist they replace with either a cellular comms module, ethernet, or basically anything else. If I get pushback, then I'll go the FCC route.
        That looks like a particularly nasty form of PLC. Do your lights flicker because of the voltage change from the meter PLC, or because you have smart lights, where the dimmer or light controller reacts to the power company smart meter PLC? Do you neighbors have the same meter, and similar flickering of their lights?

Comment

• max2k
          • May 2015

according to patent link you sited before it's in 30-90 bits/s range, very low frequency / data rate. The issue here as I see it these comms 'leak' to the load side of the meter interfering with your equipment. If the meter kept this on the line side it wouldn't be such a problem. I don't see an easy way to filter them out at those low frequencies.
          Last edited by max2k; 09-30-2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• fresnoboy
            • Mar 2016

What kind of smart meter is it? Most of the ones out here are Silver Spring units that communicate over 900 MHz spectrum. It would be hard to believe that the Solaredge inverters are causing that kind of interference, but they are pretty bad from an RFI POV so maybe so.

Part 15b compliance doesn't give you the right to create harmful interference, but if it's your own inverters you are responsible for fixing it. I talked to the FCC recently about the topic, and this FCC seems to be willing to be more aggressive about stopping harmful interference from inverter companies, including laying down significant fines on installers, etc...

Thx
            mike

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by fresnoboy
              What kind of smart meter is it? Most of the ones out here are Silver Spring units that communicate over 900 MHz spectrum. It would be hard to believe that the Solaredge inverters are causing that kind of interference, but they are pretty bad from an RFI POV so maybe so.
              The meter is causing the interference and interrupting the SolarEdge inverter as well as flickering lights etc. It sounds like the meter is quite faulty if it is so bad it flickers lights though.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• fresnoboy
                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ButchDeal

The meter is causing the interference and interrupting the SolarEdge inverter as well as flickering lights etc. It sounds like the meter is quite faulty if it is so bad it flickers lights though.
                Thanks for correcting me. That's pretty darn weird - I reversed what the OP had being trying to flag!

thx
                mike

Comment

Working...