X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Afrmthabay
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2017

Solaredge inverter reliability

I was getting a quote from an installer who told me I should stay away from solaredge hd wave and he had 3 go down within a year of install I am prone not to believe him with my gut instinct though as he says I should go with microinverters. Anyone have any expierences or have solaredge for a few years no problems. I know that a few faulty ones of anything can happen but the way this installer made it sound is that it will not last
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Afrmthabay
    I was getting a quote from an installer who told me I should stay away from solaredge hd wave and he had 3 go down within a year of install I am prone not to believe him with my gut instinct though as he says I should go with microinverters. Anyone have any expierences or have solaredge for a few years no problems. I know that a few faulty ones of anything can happen but the way this installer made it sound is that it will not last
    The HDwave inverters have not been out for a year.
    Ask the installer for references and how many solaredge installs he has done? I think you want a new installer regardless of the inverter brand
    Last edited by ButchDeal; 09-19-2017, 11:22 PM.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• max2k
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Afrmthabay
      not against microinverters, that is impossible IMO. OTOH it's their new product line which doesn't have much statistics yet - good or bad.

Comment

• Afrmthabay
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2017

Okay thanks I figured my gut feeling was on the right track

Comment

• solarix
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2015

I can't speak definitively to their new products, but I installed SolarEdge almost exclusively for about 18 months when they first came out. I still say their distributed architecture system makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I've had about half of those systems fail since then. Just replaced another 7 year old inverter two days ago. My conclusion is: their engineers are not so good at getting the details perfect, and I would wait on buying any of their new products a couple years to prove themselves.
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• adoublee
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by solarix
            I can't speak definitively to their new products, but I installed SolarEdge almost exclusively for about 18 months when they first came out. I still say their distributed architecture system makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I've had about half of those systems fail since then. Just replaced another 7 year old inverter two days ago. My conclusion is: their engineers are not so good at getting the details perfect, and I would wait on buying any of their new products a couple years to prove themselves.
            Were you also installing Enphase that early as well? If so, did you find those held up better? I would think volume has increased dramatically from that time - hopefully that experience will keep newer systems online. SolarEdge is significantly discounting the 20 and 25 year extended warranty on HD Wave if that says anything other than just being a lower cost product to produce.

Comment

• NukeEngineer
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by adoublee

Were you also installing Enphase that early as well? If so, did you find those held up better? I would think volume has increased dramatically from that time - hopefully that experience will keep newer systems online. SolarEdge is significantly discounting the 20 and 25 year extended warranty on HD Wave if that says anything other than just being a lower cost product to produce.
              They are? I checked the warranty extension price a week or so back and it was $192 for 20 and $307 for 25. Not worth it at those prices, when the inverters were $1200 each anyway. Is this the already discounted price?
              https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• adoublee
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by NukeEngineer

They are? I checked the warranty extension price a week or so back and it was $192 for 20 and $307 for 25. Not worth it at those prices, when the inverters were $1200 each anyway. Is this the already discounted price?
                Warranty cost depends on the inverter size, but HD Wave's are about 40% less than previous generation for equal wattage.This is not to claim the cost is worth it for you, but that is a very long warranty for an electronic device. https://www3.solaredge.com/service/warranty

Comment

• NEOH
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2010

"...
                  If SolarEdge determines that the reported defect is eligible for coverage under the Limited Warranty,
                  SolarEdge will notify buyer accordingly, and SolarEdge may, in its sole discretion, take any of the following actions:
                  A) repair the Product at SolarEdge
                  B) Issue a credit note for the defective Product in an amount up to its actual value at the time buyer notifies SolarEdge of the defect, as determined by SolarEdge, for use toward the purchase of a new Product; or
                  C) provide Buyer with replacement units for the Product
                  ..."

Regarding Option B - a Credit Note ?

Is the warranty Pro-rated?
                  If yes, then what is the formula?
                  How do they determine the "value" of a 19 year old inverter with 20 year warranty?

1/20 of $1,200 = "up to" a $60 Credit Note, if you purchase a new Inverter ?
                  Last edited by NEOH; 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• NukeEngineer
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by NEOH
                    "...
                    If SolarEdge determines that the reported defect is eligible for coverage under the Limited Warranty,
                    SolarEdge will notify buyer accordingly, and SolarEdge may, in its sole discretion, take any of the following actions:
                    A) repair the Product at SolarEdge
                    B) Issue a credit note for the defective Product in an amount up to its actual value at the time buyer notifies SolarEdge of the defect, as determined by SolarEdge, for use toward the purchase of a new Product; or
                    C) provide Buyer with replacement units for the Product
                    ..."

Regarding Option B - a Credit Note ?

Is the warranty Pro-rated?
                    If yes, then what is the formula?
                    How do they determine the "value" of a 19 year old inverter with 20 year warranty?

1/20 of $1,200 = "up to" a $60 Credit Note, if you purchase a new Inverter ?
                    The warranty for my two HD Waves would be $614. I could put $614 in a 1.2% savings account for the next 12 years and have $709 guaranteed (or probably more if interest rates go up). Or, I can lock the $614 in today as being gone, and 'perhaps' get it's value back in 12-25 years later?

Plus, in 12 years, if they have these same inverters, they may be cheaper at that time to just buy another new one... or, more likely, they'll have something else out that is better anyway.
                    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• adoublee
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2009

That is troubling text. And no matter what anyone says it is now, it's value is "as determined by SE" which could change at any time.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by NukeEngineer

The warranty for my two HD Waves would be $614. I could put $614 in a 1.2% savings account for the next 12 years and have $709 guaranteed (or probably more if interest rates go up). Or, I can lock the $614 in today as being gone, and 'perhaps' get it's value back in 12-25 years later?

Plus, in 12 years, if they have these same inverters, they may be cheaper at that time to just buy another new one... or, more likely, they'll have something else out that is better anyway.
                        Yup, a problem in engineering economics, comparison of alternatives analysis and process economics.

Comment

• GlennT
                          • Oct 2015

Mine is a 6.4 kW system. SolarEdge SE6000 Inverter with Power Optimizers on each of the solar panels. Since I installed it nearly two years ago, there has been a move toward adding batteries to increase self-consumption and also have a backup for power outages. (Currently I use a generator for outages) A salesman has told me I need to replace my SE6000 with a SE7600A StorEdge Inverter to do this. Is this the only solution? I mean, my system is only 2 years old and I would like to get 10 or 15 years out of the SE6000 I have. It was a sizable investment. Are there other components I can buy which will work with my SE6000?

Comment

• solarix
                            Super Moderator
                            • Apr 2015

I have never installed Enphase as have always considered them too big of a reliability risk. I've been doing warranty replacements on them though that were installed by other (now defunct) dealers.
                            Spent some time talking to the SolarEdge people at SPI last week. I'd say the storage technology is really in a state of flux these days and to not chase after it yet. Solaredge redesigned their 7.6kW inverter to work with the Powerwall1 and then Tesla changed it and now SolarEdge is having to come up with a new solution for that. No thanks.
                            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by solarix
                              I
                              Spent some time talking to the SolarEdge people at SPI last week. I'd say the storage technology is really in a state of flux these days and to not chase after it yet. Solaredge redesigned their 7.6kW inverter to work with the Powerwall1 and then Tesla changed it and now SolarEdge is having to come up with a new solution for that.
                              Not enough time talking to them.
                              the StorEdge works with the powerwall 1 as well as the LGChem RESU10h batteries.
                              it also works with the powerwall 2but then all the solaredge inverters work with the powerwall 2. The powerwall 2is AC coupled so to get backup from it you need to add a bunch of third party switching gear.
                              The StorEdge is DC coupled and thus more efficient and easier to get backup from it.
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...