A 3rd class of solar systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 3rd class of solar systems?

I'm often asked, and subsequently corrected when asked what kind of solar system I have.
    Is it grid tied? No. Oh, so you're off grid? No. I am supplemental.
    So, I would like to see "supplemental" as the 3rd type ; on grid, off grid and supplemental. Yes, that would stop people from scolding me when I say "oh no, it's off of the grid". I imagine half the people here with small systems fall into this category. There is enough to explain without having to explain this too.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

There is sub-forum called... "Hybrid Solar, Grid-tied solar PV with batteries"

If you are talking about people who are grid-tied but just want to power a shed (for example), the sub-forum for that should probably be something like "Solar as an expensive hobby".
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

But is am not grid tied with batteries? I am on grid, but use solar for lighting, tv, tv boxes and other stuff. Working up to an appliance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
        But is am not grid tied with batteries? I am on grid, but use solar for lighting, tv, tv boxes and other stuff. Working up to an appliance as well.
        Ok, that is the "Solar as an expensive hobby" category.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Oh...isee. thanks

Comment

It is simple. Does your solar gear connect the to city/state electric Grid ?
            if yes = Grid Tied
            if no = Off Grid

Supplemental means nothing, electrically.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Well, every time I say I'm off grid people think I'm not using electricity from the utility company at all. I tell them I am, and they say I'm not off grid then.
              Apparently to the people I talk to, Grid tied means hooked into the utility system with your PV production. Off grid means not relying on or using any electricity from utilities. To me, my system is off grid, only because it is not grid tied. That will be my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

However you want to classify it doesn't matter to me. I'm curious though, if the grid power goes off are you completely self-sufficient?

Comment

Not even clise

Comment

So, a portion of your home is 100% on the grid only
                    and a portion of your home is 100% off the grid only, PV Powered and there are no batteries?

The two portions ( on-grid & off-grid ) are not electrically connected.

Comment

There are batteries,cc,inv. They are separate from grid.

Comment

Well, every time I say I'm off grid people think I'm not using electricity from the utility company at all. I tell them I am, and they say I'm not off grid then.
                        Apparently to the people I talk to, Grid tied means hooked into the utility system with your PV production. Off grid means not relying on or using any electricity from utilities. To me, my system is off grid, only because it is not grid tied. That will be my story, and I'm sticking to it.
                        I've answered that by saying I'm partially off-grid. I've chosen to only take certain loads off the grids the grid and use the grid to power other items.

Comment

Not even clise
                          <freud>What is the motivation for your distinction? Don't you find it irritating to have to explain what you mean?</freud>

Most say tomato. You say potato.

Comment

My system is Off the Grid. That is what I'll say.

Comment

This hobby is very much like astronomy. One has to think and learn a lot. The number of things needed and upgrades wanted seem to be endless, and are not cheap. At least solar has some financial return, and gives a sense of satisfaction.

Say, how do you list your components as a tag below posts using android? I know I know, another thing I can't figure out on my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X