Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoublee
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2009

This categorization, whatever it is, should be something other than off-grid as that does lead people to believe the entire structure is off the grid. I prefer consciously grid decoupled.

Seriously though, I don't know if anyone doing this commercially but would like to see it with something like electric grid decoupled chilled water production which could supplement a chilled water system...

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Gdwats
      This hobby is very much like astronomy. One has to think and learn a lot. The number of things needed and upgrades wanted seem to be endless, and are not cheap. At least solar has some financial return, and gives a sense of satisfaction.

Say, how do you list your components as a tag below posts using android? I know I know, another thing I can't figure out on my own.
      Is it really that important how something is identified or labeled for electronic media purposes ?

Comment

• AzRoute66
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        Is it really that important how something is identified or labeled for electronic media purposes ?
        Not at all, but clearly there is at least one gap that could be covered for conversational purposes.

Comment

• DrLumen
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2017

This hobby is very much like astronomy. One has to think and learn a lot. The number of things needed and upgrades wanted seem to be endless, and are not cheap. At least solar has some financial return, and gives a sense of satisfaction.

Say, how do you list your components as a tag below posts using android? I know I know, another thing I can't figure out on my own.
          Set up a signature in the forum settings. It will then be appended to all of your posts regardless of what device you use. There is something like a silly 32 character limit though. I didn't actually count them but it is short.

Comment

• JanS48
            • Sep 2017

To Gdwats - Greetings - I'm doing exactly what you are doing but being a retired engineer and having access to many things, lots of free time and healthy at 69, I'm attempting to do it 'on the cheap' doing 99% of the labor and wiring.
            I'm doing lots of research and seeking the best values (at least In-My-Humble-Opinion). I'm anticipating cutting my 275~325 per month grid bill by at least 1/3 perhaps more.
            I bought 12 Canadian Solar panels 320w for 150 each from a company that had a surplus after doing a large install, this was the most expensive piece so far, then a $ 900. inverter, plus wiring panels, breakers & boxes, charge controller etc.
            I was able to purchase a good quantity of uni-rack rails for scrap price but with the pieces being 7ft I needed to use splices. I fabricated my own stanchions from aluminum stock.
            For under 500 I've put together a 48v 380 ah battery bank using 8 heavy duty truck batteries. So far my tests indicate I'll easily be able to run my well pump, the refrig, and a number of other devices for more than a day with no sun. All in all I'm approaching the 4,000 dollar mark My anticipated ROI will be < 3 years.
            I'm still getting it all together but so far it looks promising. And yes it is a great new expensive hobby.
            Jan

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JanS48
              To Gdwats - Greetings - I'm doing exactly what you are doing but being a retired engineer and having access to many things, lots of free time and healthy at 69, I'm attempting to do it 'on the cheap' doing 99% of the labor and wiring.
              I'm doing lots of research and seeking the best values (at least In-My-Humble-Opinion). I'm anticipating cutting my 275~325 per month grid bill by at least 1/3 perhaps more.
              I bought 12 Canadian Solar panels 320w for 150 each from a company that had a surplus after doing a large install, this was the most expensive piece so far, then a $ 900. inverter, plus wiring panels, breakers & boxes, charge controller etc.
              I was able to purchase a good quantity of uni-rack rails for scrap price but with the pieces being 7ft I needed to use splices. I fabricated my own stanchions from aluminum stock.
              For under 500 I've put together a 48v 380 ah battery bank using 8 heavy duty truck batteries. So far my tests indicate I'll easily be able to run my well pump, the refrig, and a number of other devices for more than a day with no sun. All in all I'm approaching the 4,000 dollar mark My anticipated ROI will be < 3 years.
              I'm still getting it all together but so far it looks promising. And yes it is a great new expensive hobby.
              Jan

Any attempts/considerations for load reduction measures ?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

At least solar has some financial return, and gives a sense of satisfaction.
                There is no financial return for off grid. For a return the benefits has to put weight the costs, off grid doesn't.
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Jan

I don't know what inverter you purchased or charge controller but you will be far better off getting a bimodal inverter and grid tie. Off grid your production is limited to consumption and battery cycling constantly, on grid you can get full production with few battery cycles and still have the backup capability.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• JanS48
                    • Sep 2017

To J.P.M.
                    Load reduction: Yes certainly. I've calculated (after measuring KW's used) that up to 1/3 of my grid usage is by the well pump and the refrig.
                    I have a separate breaker panel that will power those household circuits which I wish to be off-grid. So far that includes the well pump, the refrig, and my basement lights. I've plenty of spaces available should I be able to add more.
                    The configuration: I'm using a Reliable Power 10,000 watt inverter (which I expect to get 5,000 out of) connected to two 48v battery banks totaling 380ah.
                    So far my tests have been very good, I'm able to run the well pump and the refrig for 48 hrs without charging the battery bank and it's still at 48.6v with a small draw on. It drops to 48.2 after 2 days with both the well pump and the refrig running.
                    As for the breaker panel that is powering my off grid circuits, that is also connected to a DPDT transfer switch (100 amp) so I can power the off-grid panel from the grid should my batteries run lower than I'd like.
                    My goal is to reduce my grid bill and have a system I can power essentials with should grid power go down as I live in a rural treed area where that does happen on occasion.

Thanks to everyone here, I've gotten a ton of good information and many links I would have never found.

Jan

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

To J.P.M.
                      Load reduction: Yes certainly. I've calculated (after measuring KW's used) that up to 1/3 of my grid usage is by the well pump and the refrig.
                      I have a separate breaker panel that will power those household circuits which I wish to be off-grid. So far that includes the well pump, the refrig, and my basement lights. I've plenty of spaces available should I be able to add more.
                      The configuration: I'm using a Reliable Power 10,000 watt inverter (which I expect to get 5,000 out of) connected to two 48v battery banks totaling 380ah.
                      So far my tests have been very good, I'm able to run the well pump and the refrig for 48 hrs without charging the battery bank and it's still at 48.6v with a small draw on. It drops to 48.2 after 2 days with both the well pump and the refrig running.
                      As for the breaker panel that is powering my off grid circuits, that is also connected to a DPDT transfer switch (100 amp) so I can power the off-grid panel from the grid should my batteries run lower than I'd like.
                      My goal is to reduce my grid bill and have a system I can power essentials with should grid power go down as I live in a rural treed area where that does happen on occasion.

Thanks to everyone here, I've gotten a ton of good information and many links I would have never found.

Jan
                      Understood. Good luck.

Comment

Working...