Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery replacement/upgrades?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Well that didn't last long. My Reliable branded 500W 24v pure sine inverter worked goid for 1.5 days. It blew 2 fuses when i turned it off under 0 load. I replaced the 2 fuses, hooked it back to the batteries, turned it on, and it blew fuses again under no load.
    I am returning it. There is a Samlex pst 300W 24v on the way now. The 500W samlex no longer available. I didnt really need 500W anyway with my little setup. So much fun.
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
      Well that didn't last long. My Reliable branded 500W 24v pure sine inverter worked goid for 1.5 days. It blew 2 fuses when i turned it off under 0 load. I replaced the 2 fuses, hooked it back to the batteries, turned it on, and it blew fuses again under no load.
      I am returning it. There is a Samlex pst 300W 24v on the way now. The 500W samlex no longer available. I didnt really need 500W anyway with my little setup. So much fun.
      it's expensive hobby

      Comment


      • #33
        I'm finding that out. My other hobby is astrophotography. At least this one pays back.
        900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

        Comment


        • #34
          Series-parallel
          Attached Files
          900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

          Comment


          • #35
            Is it ok to have your batteries in the rain, or must the be sheilded?
            900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
              Is it ok to have your batteries in the rain, or must the be sheilded?
              What kind of batteries?
              you don't want them cooking in the sun.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

              Comment


              • #37
                12v sla
                900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

                Comment


                • #38
                  Thanks. I will put the batteries against the north side of the house in shade. I guess I will get 20 ft of MC4 extension wire( between the panels and the controller). Is that wise?
                  Last edited by Gdwats; 08-23-2017, 06:03 PM.
                  900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Oh my. At my new place here the panels get sun from 1030 to 630! Very happy about tbat!
                    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Update:
                      3S x 3S array of 100W panels (600 W)
                      Renogy Rover 40A MPPT CC (Max-in 100V, 1020 W) (8WG)
                      4 x Trojan T105RE 6V, 225AH flooded lead acid deep cycle in series for 24V (2/0 GA)
                      Samlex 1500W 24V Pure Sine Wave AC Inverter (AWG 4)

                      Looking to put a 40A fuse between CC and Batteries, not sure yet what fuse for between Batteries and Inverter (100A?)
                      Looking for a common ground. Can't drive pole 50 ft down. Thought about the garden faucet, but electrolysis is an issue.
                      900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
                        Update:
                        3S x 3S array of 100W panels (600 W)
                        Renogy Rover 40A MPPT CC (Max-in 100V, 1020 W) (8WG)
                        4 x Trojan T105RE 6V, 225AH flooded lead acid deep cycle in series for 24V (2/0 GA)
                        Samlex 1500W 24V Pure Sine Wave AC Inverter (AWG 4)

                        Looking to put a 40A fuse between CC and Batteries, not sure yet what fuse for between Batteries and Inverter (100A?)
                        Looking for a common ground. Can't drive pole 50 ft down. Thought about the garden faucet, but electrolysis is an issue.
                        Both the wire and fuse between the battery and inverter needs to be sized to handle the amps calculated by dividing the peak wattage the inverter can provide by the battery voltage.

                        At 1500 watts you can draw about 63 amps (1500w / 24v = 62.5a) but that inverter probably has a higher surge rating which could be double that 1500w. You need to make sure the wire can handle that surge amps even for a brief time and the fuse needs to be sized to protect the wire.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

                          Both the wire and fuse between the battery and inverter needs to be sized to handle the amps calculated by dividing the peak wattage the inverter can provide by the battery voltage.

                          At 1500 watts you can draw about 63 amps (1500w / 24v = 62.5a) but that inverter probably has a higher surge rating which could be double that 1500w. You need to make sure the wire can handle that surge amps even for a brief time and the fuse needs to be sized to protect the wire.
                          3,000W surge. 3,000/24=125A so 125A fuse?
                          900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Gdwats View Post

                            3,000W surge. 3,000/24=125A so 125A fuse?
                            If that is the surge rating of the inverter then it is possible to see 125amps. It depends on how low it can sustain that output but it could be for a few minutes which will test your output wire.

                            Your choice is to fuse at that 125a or go down to say 100a which may or may not blow if you load the inverter up for an extended time. I would certainly look into sizing the wires higher than what ever fuse you use.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Thanks again. The 1500W inv says 3000W surges ok for up to 2min. I dont anticipate any, but will prepare for. I won't continuously use more than 1200W, as the1500W inv is only good to 1350 W due to inefficiencies they say. So 125A fuse should work between battery and inv work even with a 3000W surge as the DC end internal fuse will blow first.

                              They also mention the inverter is grounder to cover, but that's probably DC, have to reread

                              Is a 40A fuse good for the 40A MPPT to battery?
                              . Pencil to paper.....
                              Last edited by Gdwats; 09-04-2017, 11:22 PM.
                              900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Gdwats View Post
                                Thanks again. The 1500W inv says 3000W surges ok for up to 2min. I dont anticipate any, but will prepare for. I won't continuously use more than 1200W, as the1500W inv is only good to 1350 W due to inefficiencies they say. So 125A fuse should work between battery and inv work even with a 3000W surge as the DC end internal fuse will blow first.

                                They also mention the inverter is grounder to cover, but that's probably DC, have to reread

                                Is a 40A fuse good for the 40A MPPT to battery?
                                . Pencil to paper.....
                                Unless the MPPT has a surge amp output rating higher then the nameplate rating, using 40amp fuses is good enough. Just make sure the wire is rated for more than 40amp.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X