Pool pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool pump

Hi all can you please advise me on the making panels, I have made18 volt panels in the past to power lights (LED) and a car radio in my workshop, purely as a hobby with interest in solar energy, I have a 2hp 240v mains electric pump on my swimming pool which is costing me a fortune as its quite a large pool, what I'm thinking about doing is installing a solar 12/24/48volt submersible pump that requires 120watts I would the run the water back into the pool via a filtration box of some sort, I will still have to use the 2hp pump but hopefully not as much, the question is how many 12/24v panels would I need to give me 120 watts.

thankyou for any help you may be able to offer

graham

One 24 volt Solar Panel with a rating of more than 200 Watts.

Comment

You may consider a Solar pool pump. Solar pool pumps are made to run directly from Solar panels and newer models may now include a solar ozone salt generator too. Most pool pumps only runs during the day anyway.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response guys, i will certainly look into solar pool pumps but suspect there expensive and will be out of my price range,NEOH, I am making my own panel with 0.5v per cell so would that be 48 cells giving me 24v to achieve the 200 watts?

thanks again Graham

Comment

If you're really interested in saving money/electricity, have you instead looked at replacing your current pump with something more energy efficient? Last year as part of my energy reduction efforts (long term prep for solar) I ripped out the Pentair single speed pump that came with the house and replaced it with an Intelliflo variable speed pump. With the deal I got (from a authorized dealer with a coupon), plus a Pentair rebate, and a rebate from my electric company, my pay off was less than a year. And that's not even factoring in that I sold the old pump on Craigslist.

Simply changing out the pump on my 40'x20' pool (~32,000 gallons) and setting a longer schedule at lower RPM saved me about 200kWh per month

Comment

Hi jasonvr, sounds interesting my pool is roughly the same size I will look into it, can you tell me the approx. cost of the variable pump?

thanks graham

Comment

We had a Hayward VSP, it failed at the 3 yr mark, after the warranty ran out, of course. VSP energy savings WAS NICE, but they do not last as long as single or 2 spd pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
                We had a Hayward VSP, it failed at the 3 yr mark, after the warranty ran out, of course. VSP energy savings WAS NICE, but they do not last as long as single or 2 spd pumps.
                That is sad to hear that the VSP drive failed so quickly.

I wonder if the problem was due to poor power quality or too many start/stop cycles in a limited time frame. Both of those are the usually reason for VSP equipment failures.

Comment

Indeed it is sad. We had high hopes of energy savings. Will cost much more in the end with VSP replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by astras View Post
                    Hi jasonvr, sounds interesting my pool is roughly the same size I will look into it, can you tell me the approx. cost of the variable pump?

thanks graham
                    Sure, here's my entire breakdown (bought from PoolSupplyWorld):

Pump was on sale for 866 and then add on the mandatory threaded union for 29.99. I had one of their 5% off coupons (received for signing up for their mailing list I think). They also don't charge sales tax and shipping was free. Out the door the pump and union were 851.19. My PoCo offered a $150 rebate for installing a VS pump and Pentair had a $50 rebate going at the time bringing the cost down to 651.19. I sold my old single speed pump for $125 for a net of 526.19. I paid my pool guy $50 to help install it to qualify for the longer rebate, so back up to 576.19

Figure on some miscellaneous other things as well (PVC piping, a tool or two you don't have, PVC glue, etc). I ended up having to get an extra large set of channel lock pliers to deal with the 2in unions. Also got a heat gun so that I could reuse my Jandy valve (heat guns when used correctly can allow you to get glued PVC back out of fittings). Both came from Harbor Freight for dirt cheap and are now part of tool arsenal.

Comment

Indeed it is sad. We had high hopes of energy savings. Will cost much more in the end with VSP replacement.
                      Most likely the control board they can be purchased separately still pricey though

Comment

I was wondering if it was something I could fix myself. Where is the replacement CB available to purchase? Only from Hayward?

Comment

I was wondering if it was something I could fix myself. Where is the replacement CB available to purchase? Only from Hayward?
                          Surprising if you know exactly what the part number is you can research it and purchase quality Hayward parts not from Hayward. I have been getting parts for my Hayward filter from Amazon and they are true Hayward parts without the markup.

Comment

I did get a replacement bypass valve for our gas heater, so I would follow a similar course and create a search string. I just got caught unprepared and desperate to get it fixed and behind me. I will try harder next time, That's for sure.

Comment

I did get a replacement bypass valve for our gas heater, so I would follow a similar course and create a search string. I just got caught unprepared and desperate to get it fixed and behind me. I will try harder next time, That's for sure.
                              What was the exact problem with VSP pump? I bought Pentair 011018 and from the description it sounds like modern brushless DC motor controlled by electronics so the only way that can fail is some overvoltage or manufacturing defect of course. Replacing old 2 speed pump and programming new one for slower speed for filtration cut my electric bill by probably $50-$70 / month and pump paid for itself within 8 months after utility rebate as I installed it myself. While hassle I can replace it every 3 year if it comes to it

Comment

Working...
                              X