No announcement yet.

Are my solar panels damaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got boxes of the corner holders too. "might come in handy some day". never does. They keep changing the panel dimensions. Sure would be nice if the solar industry could standardize on panel dimensions.... Here are some pics of the shipping damage I've had. SAM_2418.JPGSAM_2419.JPGSAM_2414.JPGSAM_2416.JPG
    Attached Files
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by Murby View Post
      Looks like I'll have to start a conversation with Solarworld on Monday as well as Renvu....

How is renvu about handling things like this?
      I had some rails that were crushed on the ends in shipping and Renvu handled the issue great and I got my new rails reasonably quickly. I also bought SolarWorld 270 panels but luckily my pallet was intact.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoBound View Post

I had some rails that were crushed on the ends in shipping and Renvu handled the issue great and I got my new rails reasonably quickly. I also bought SolarWorld 270 panels but luckily my pallet was intact.

So far, Renvu has been good.. I called them this morning and they saw my claim and my photos and were very accepting.. The guy stated the pallet was obviously a trucking company issue.. someone must have busted it and put a replacement pallet in there.

Comment

Pallet forks through the cargo is a standard way to move things when the pallet is damaged !
          Saw a carton of whiteboards done in that way !
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

UPDATE:
            When I originally filed the claim, Renvu said it usually takes about 30 days to process. When the 30 days was up, I contacted Renvu and they said the logistics company (XPO Logistics) is "short handed and taking extra time to process claims" and that it could take up to 45 days to get the claim completed. Well, its been 45 days (+ almost a week) and the claim still has not been completed.
            Renvu tried to escalate the claim through XPO Logistics and they (XPO) replied that they can take up to 120 days to process the claim but should be done by 06/16/2017

Renvu seems to be very responsive answering emails and their phone and I can't really blame them.. But BE WARNED, if you order through Renvu, make sure you don't let them ship with XPO Logistics!!

Comment

But BE WARNED, if you order through Renvu, make sure you don't let them ship with XPO Logistics!!
              Doesn't matter who you ship with. It's the luck of the draw these days.They all seem to have workers who don't really care. We've had four damaged freight shipments just this week and it's only Wednesday. All are obviously caused by workers who could care less how much damage and waste they create while cramming boxes into the trailer. Their claims folks are some of the best you will ever find at weaseling out of paying a claim. Mark a box as "Fragile" and they take worse care of it. Don't mark the box "Fragile" and they deny your claim because you didn't label it appropriately. Some days I think I should be mounting 360 degree hidden video cameras on our shipments. UPS lost two ground packages last week and they seem bothered when I call to complain.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

I bought some plywood today, and saved a bundle, the plywood was damaged in shipment. and the lumberyard was PO'd at the shipper, they didn't inspect it, but I did.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I got 11 panels for free when mine showed up damaged... the shipping company was not interested in coming back to pick them up. It did hold up my project by about a week to get the replacements but it was worth it... I fixed all of them and put 8 more on the roof with 3 spares in the garage for future use....

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

Doesn't matter who you ship with. It's the luck of the draw these days.They all seem to have workers who don't really care. We've had four damaged freight shipments just this week and it's only Wednesday. All are obviously caused by workers who could care less how much damage and waste they create while cramming boxes into the trailer. Their claims folks are some of the best you will ever find at weaseling out of paying a claim. Mark a box as "Fragile" and they take worse care of it. Don't mark the box "Fragile" and they deny your claim because you didn't label it appropriately. Some days I think I should be mounting 360 degree hidden video cameras on our shipments. UPS lost two ground packages last week and they seem bothered when I call to complain.

Welcome to the future. Get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by EnergyKurt View Post
                      I got 11 panels for free when mine showed up damaged... the shipping company was not interested in coming back to pick them up. It did hold up my project by about a week to get the replacements but it was worth it... I fixed all of them and put 8 more on the roof with 3 spares in the garage for future use....
                      Wow.. 11 free panels! That's cool.. I hope I get to keep my 5 but if they want to pick them up they're more than welcome.. I just want 5 panels I know will last..

Comment

Wow.. 11 free panels! That's cool.. I hope I get to keep my 5 but if they want to pick them up they're more than welcome.. I just want 5 panels I know will last..
                        I'd suggest one thing among many to look for when the replacements show up, is that they are identical to what was damaged. Look alikes are not always be alikes.

Comment

We had one panel destroyed and one other panel scratched up...filed a claim and they took care of us. But that is obviously because the owner of the company let the freight company have it.

The guy said "you can't inspect your goods...I said really 11,00$ worth of gear and I can't check it out" okay...goodbye...

A few hours later the freight company calls and says you can have your stuff inspected the next day...Don't be nice to these jerks. They all make more money at the top and the poor drivers are berated because the upper management guys only care about fast deliveries.

Comment

UPDATE:
                            Yesterday, 6/16/2017, I got an update from Renvu that said XPO had approved my claim for only $300.. That's $300 out of ~$850 so its less than half. The rep at Renvu said they felt this was unacceptable and that they would appeal.

Perhaps it's time I file in Small Claims court?? I think maybe I'll wait for the appeal but not sure how long that process will take.

Comment

You should file small claims and sue for damages over 850...That's 850$ plus time lost on your solar project operating to save money. It is up to the judge to decide what is the right amount of compensation. If the judge doesn't see it your way, they will at least compensate you for the actual value, plus court costs.

Be sure to be itemized and specific in your claim. Damages, plus downtime and court fees. We filed once and won. It was not a bad deal...but ours was 250$ to file.

Comment

UPDATE:
                                On 6/19/2017, the Renvu representative that I have been dealing with, (Tatyana) contacted me and said that after she filed an appeal with XPO, they subsequently approved the entire claim and Renvu was processing a new shipment of replacement panels.

I have to say, while I'm not too happy with XPO Logistics, the folks at Renvu, mostly Tatyana, have been exceptionally responsive to both phone calls and emails. I think Tatyana went out of her way to battle XPO on my behalf.

I would like to also note that I paid Renvu with a check so I did not enjoy the protection a credit card would afford me. I normally use credit cards for all purchases because of the umbrella of buyer protection it provides but I didn't do that this time. This made me very nervous but Renvu came through.

Once I get my system up and running, I will post a new thread with photos of the entire process with reviews and comments about all aspects of the project.

For now, +1 for the Renvu folks. I saved a lot of money using them over other places.

Comment

Working...
                                X