SunPower CT Consumption Monitoring with PV5 - CT Does not Fit in Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunPower CT Consumption Monitoring with PV5 - CT Does not Fit in Panel

Just had a 7Kw Sunpower Equinox system installed and this system includes the CT's used for consumption monitoring. Unfortunately my dealer says that the CT's do not fit in about 50% of the Electrical Service Panels and of course with my luck it does not fit in my service panel. Is this a pretty common problem like dealer is describing about not fitting?

They did say if PG&E allowed the CT's to be installed where PG&E Line comes in it would be easy but says they are not allowed to do this.

I asked about a workaround and they said not yet but have telling Sunpower about the issue.

He did mention there is equipment to attach to every circuit on the panel but that sounds expensive and overkill.

Any other ideas, advice or workarounds would be appreciated.

Originally posted by davahad View Post
    Just had a 7Kw Sunpower Equinox system installed and this system includes the CT's used for consumption monitoring. Unfortunately my dealer says that the CT's do not fit in about 50% of the Electrical Service Panels and of course with my luck it does not fit in my service panel. Is this a pretty common problem like dealer is describing about not fitting?

They did say if PG&E allowed the CT's to be installed where PG&E Line comes in it would be easy but says they are not allowed to do this.

I asked about a workaround and they said not yet but have telling Sunpower about the issue.

He did mention there is equipment to attach to every circuit on the panel but that sounds expensive and overkill.

Any other ideas, advice or workarounds would be appreciated.

you have I assume, a combined meter/MSP. There is often very little room in these and they are very common in Southern CA and FL. They are much less common in other locals. They often have a copper bus bar that comes between the meter section and the MSP section with very little physical room to attache to it.

Some systems have optional rope CTs which are less accurate and cost more but generally would fit.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Thanks. I looked up the Rope CT's and sent that info to my dealer to see if I bought if he would install.

Comment

Dealer says they need to check with Sunpower if other CT's will work. I talked to SunPower Support and they said to just find a CT that will fit and it will work.

Does anyone have experience with SunPower and using different CT's vs. the one they supply with the system?

Comment

Originally posted by davahad View Post
          Dealer says they need to check with Sunpower if other CT's will work. I talked to SunPower Support and they said to just find a CT that will fit and it will work.

Does anyone have experience with SunPower and using different CT's vs. the one they supply with the system?
          I do not have any experience with the CT's that Sunpower provides but I do have a bit of hands on experience with solid core, split core and flexible rope CT's. One thing you need to look at is the accuracy.

The cheap ones maybe have +/- 3%. Better are around +/-1%. Revenue class are +/- 0.5%

The better (lower) the % the more expensive they become.

Comment

Here is the picture of the one that comes with the SunPower System. It looks like it is from Continental Control Systems so the Rope CT's I was looking at were also from CCS and they cost about $180+Power Transformer for conditioner with +- 1.0% accuracy.

Hopefully someone else will have experience installing the Rope CT's with the Sunpower.

IMG_3005.JPG

Comment

From what I read, not all CRs are directly interchangeable. Some put out 333mv at full scale (full scale can be different sizes), some have
              other standards. Get a match. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                From what I read, not all CRs are directly interchangeable. Some put out 333mv at full scale (full scale can be different sizes), some have
                other standards. Get a match. Bruce Roe
                You are correct. Most CT's have a current output with ratios like 200/5 which is 200 amp converts to 5 amps. Others convert the high side amps into 333mv. Those are used by most portable meters because it is safer to the operator and does not require a shorting block on the output side.

Still the rope CT's can be very accurate and are used with high end power quality meters made by Fluke, Dranetz to name a couple. But you must match the CT output to the input of the measuring device.

Comment

Here is a picture of the type of panel that I have. SunPower is telling my dealer they should be able to install in this type of panel. Guessing my dealer looked at the panel and just assumed based on past experience it was a no go.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that was in a similar situation to me and how they were able to get the CT's to work. Service Panel.jpg

Comment

SunPower CT Engineer coming out next week to attempt install on my panel. Said it should fit but we will see.

Comment

Sunpower came out an installed 4 CT's in the box and they fit and it was probably 2 hours total as they also trained the dealer at the same time.

Comment

I am having the same issue. How much sun power charges for installing those. I just have my system commissioned but I have not paid the last installment since the consumption monitoring is not working.

Comment

They did not charge anything. I called SunPower and told them my dealer says the CT's only fit in 50% of the panels (which is not true). They fit in almost all panels it is just very time consuming to install in tight panels. Dealer only wants to install in panels that are easy.

My dealer talked to the Sunpower CT Engineer and he offered to come out at no charge to train the dealer on how to install in tight panels.

Dealer said they will start offering installs in tight panels but will be billing for the time on future installs.

Adding pictures of the install for others so that it might help them.
                          Last edited by davahad; 12-14-2017, 11:22 PM. Reason: Added pictures of the install

Comment

Wow, that panel looks tight! Hope all the connections are tight and you have smoke detectors.

Comment

Working...
                            X