SunPower CT Consumption Monitoring with PV5 - CT Does not Fit in Panel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davahad
    • Jun 2016

Yep all connections are extremely tight and I do have smoke detectors. The CT's were added June 2016 and have had no issues with the panel or the solar install.

Comment

• BenP
      • Jan 2020

I just had a SunPower system installed and paid off. When the Utility (NV Energy) swapped meters and turned on the system, I was lacking consumption data. I asked the "Master Dealer" who gave me a canned "only 50% of panels on the market support CTs" and after a lot of back and forth, they refused outright.

I opened my panel and and see they could have run two sets of CTs with ease, there was enough play in the load wires to do that, but they said no. There was also a bus bar that had some plastic around it which is why it would not fit. I found this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sense/comme..._transformers/ and this user was able to cut away the plastic protecting the bus bars.

I hired a licensed electrician to complete to do this, and installed the CTs myself from eBay. I must say, I'm extremely disappointed in SunPower. They refused to escalate on their side with their Master Dealer. The dealer tried to upsell me for a replacement panel for thousands of dollars. The documentation I have from SunPower shows it can be done a few different ways but the dealer was not willing and said find another dealer.

This is the same company that had a brand new Equinox panel fall on concrete pavers. It bent the frame on either side and scratched the surface and they refused to replace it. Security camera caught it, and SunPower Corporate also refused to do anything about it saying its the dealers responsibility and my agreement was with them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5UHJdQR0E

The panel in question is a Square D SC3040M200F Homeline for the sake of anyone else with this issue. At least I have consumption monitoring.

9sObJZp.pnghMW6L8Z.pngu8sIxPV.jpgu8sIxPV.jpg
      Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Attached Files

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Bummer. Did you pay before you watched the video ?

Sunpower is right - that's a dealer issue. If "I" were sunpower, they would no longer be a dealer after a stunt and blow off like that.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• BenP
          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Bummer. Did you pay before you watched the video ?

Sunpower is right - that's a dealer issue. If "I" were sunpower, they would no longer be a dealer after a stunt and blow off like that.
          I trusted they would make things right but should have held final payment until everything was complete.

I haven’t got a lot of sympathy from SunPower who’s response has been pretty lackluster, no offer to moderate the discussion with the dealer or even talk to them just “it’s not our problem”.

I did fill out the SunPower survey with a bunch of 0’s and got a call right away from the dealer after they ignore me for 3 weeks. I put everything in writing back to the dealer but the damage is done. It sucks I had to use another dealer to complete what they should have and glad the city inspector caught them cutting corners and failed the install. At least someone had my back!

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BenP
            I just had a SunPower system installed and paid off. When the Utility (NV Energy) swapped meters and turned on the system, I was lacking consumption data. I asked the "Master Dealer" who gave me a canned "only 50% of panels on the market support CTs" and after a lot of back and forth, they refused outright.

I opened my panel and and see they could have run two sets of CTs with ease, there was enough play in the load wires to do that, but they said no. There was also a bus bar that had some plastic around it which is why it would not fit. I found this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sense/comme..._transformers/ and this user was able to cut away the plastic protecting the bus bars.

I hired a licensed electrician to complete to do this, and installed the CTs myself from eBay. I must say, I'm extremely disappointed in SunPower. They refused to escalate on their side with their Master Dealer. The dealer tried to upsell me for a replacement panel for thousands of dollars. The documentation I have from SunPower shows it can be done a few different ways but the dealer was not willing and said find another dealer.

This is the same company that had a brand new Equinox panel fall on concrete pavers. It bent the frame on either side and scratched the surface and they refused to replace it. Security camera caught it, and SunPower Corporate also refused to do anything about it saying its the dealers responsibility and my agreement was with them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5UHJdQR0E

The panel in question is a Square D SC3040M200F Homeline for the sake of anyone else with this issue. At least I have consumption monitoring.

9sObJZp.pnghMW6L8Z.pngu8sIxPV.jpgu8sIxPV.jpg
            Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
            If you can document all you've written here, I'd bitch to the BBB as well.

Also, since you've identified Sunpower, it might be considered a further public service if you were to identify the vendor here as well.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

The BBB is a worthless self serving association of member business.

Take the code failure complaints to Sunpower and your state contractor licence board.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
                The BBB is a worthless self serving association of member business.

Take the code failure complaints to Sunpower and your state contractor licence board.
                Fair enough, but since it takes about as long to file a complaint w/BBB as to post here, maybe it's worth the 5 minutes or so of bother if only to C.Y.A. and if nothing else, add some veracity to one's efforts if given stuff about due diligence.

Also, and if S.P. already ducked at least once, why bother with them (S.P. that is)?

Comment

Working...