Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SunPower with SolarEdge or SMA - OR - SolarEdge with Other Panel ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypass diodes at every cell would keep a partially shaded panel from dragging down the string current and would also keep a single shaded cell from reducing the panel power by 1/3 as would be the case with only two bypass diodes.
    But if a single panel sees uniform light at half the intensity of the rest of the panels an optimizer will deliver the 1/2 nominal power that panel is capable of producing while cell-by-cell bypass diodes will cause that panel to show up as a negative 20 volt element in the string. Not such a hot idea.
    What it comes down to is what types of hard edged shade and overall low light you think you are going to get.
    One thing that optimizers will do that the SP design cannot is allow you to mix panels facing in different directions into a single string.

Oh, and the bypass diodes do nothing for Rapid Shutdown.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thank you Inetdog. Can I expect that between SP and the installer that fire safety concerns would be designed in to the system with or without optimizers?

Comment

Originally posted by Zman View Post
        Thank you Inetdog. Can I expect that between SP and the installer that fire safety concerns would be designed in to the system with or without optimizers?
        If your location is operating on the 2014 NEC and so requires Rapid Shutdown, then either system will have to have that feature to pass inspection. Adding that to the SMA system will be an additional cost and extra hardware up at the array.
        If your location is not yet on the 2014 NEC (pretty common across the country) then chances are the SMA system will not include that feature unless you ask for it and pay extra.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Bigger question... Quote A for SP panels came in at $5.11/W. Quote B came in at $3.20/W for LG315 panels that include SolarEdge power optimizers, individual panel monitoring, and inverter.
          System size is approx 8KW. Am I crazy to go with Quote A?

Can you provide the solar reviews link for the LG installer? As far as which to go with, my reading on this forum is that SP vs other panels is a religious/political debate. I don't think it's bad for people to spend however much they do for what they have, where they've researched the differences. I'm more in the quote B camp but some people sleep better at night with going the quote A route and I don't fault them for that.

Comment

Thank you again for your thoughts. I double checked the LG Quote B and it comes to $3.85/W not $3.20/W. Sorry about the type. Installer B is NABCEP certified and BBB accredited.
            Another question... Most of my roof is flat (with a TPM membrane). One area has a 10 degree north facing slope. Could PV panels be placed on that area? Both installers suggested a 10 degree ballasted system for the flat area. Aerocompact ballast system literature says max roof slope is 4 degrees.
            Do you think the 10 degree north facing roof can be used for solar panels? I don't want penetrations into the TPM membrane though.

Comment

Another question... Most of my roof is flat (with a TPM membrane). One area has a 10 degree north facing slope. Could PV panels be placed on that area? Both installers suggested a 10 degree ballasted system for the flat area. Aerocompact ballast system literature says max roof slope is 4 degrees.
              Do you think the 10 degree north facing roof can be used for solar panels? I don't want penetrations into the TPM membrane though.
              Sure. I would suggest Miasole flex-02W 360w modules. No ablest system required, almost no racking at all in fact ( just for wire management) and very few roof penetrations.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Sure. I would suggest Miasole flex-02W 360w modules. .
                Interesting! Any idea of the cost per watt installed for this type of system?

Comment

Working...
                X