SunPower with SolarEdge or SMA - OR - SolarEdge with Other Panel ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sbrooke
    • Dec 2014

LouiA

Problem being 29 Sunpower panels do not string with an SMA 7000 inverter. 24 would work if strung properly.

Comment

• subdriver97
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by granders51
      I recently installed both on my commercial bldg. and home over 200 Sunpower X20-327 panels with Solaredge optimizers and Solar Edge inverters.

Could not be any happier with the system.

PM for my installer contact if you need help.

My home system is 38 panels X20-327 with SM6000A inverters (2 of them).

YTD my system has made 3,000KWH excess and I have had a $0.00 bill down from $550 avg.

Very happy to say the least.

TM
      Can you be more specific about what it is about the SunPower panels that makes you so happy? Do you feel that you SunPower panels are doing something that other high-end panel brands (say, LG or SolarWorld) could not have? And/or did you have a specific reason for choosing SunPower? Would you be even happier if the total cost of your solar system was significantly less while providing the same solar production?

Comment

• Poway
        • Feb 2015

Sounds good to me

Originally posted by gsxrmike
        Wow, that's quite impressive. Many thanks for the amount of detail in your post, and for opening my eyes to looking elsewhere besides SunPower.

I just received the following quotes from one of the most reputable installers here in So Cal:

Option A: SolarEdge 7600 Inverter, P400 Optimizers, 25 year warranty on the Inverter, Wi-Fi monitoring, with 24 SunPower 327 watt panels for $36,000. That's a 7.85kWh system, for $4.58/watt.

Option B: Same inverter setup (w/P300 Optimizers) with 26 LG300 panels (7.8kWh system) for $26,500 (that's $3.39/watt)

Option C: Same inverter setup (w/P300 Optimizers) with 28 LG300 panels (8.4kWh system) for $28,420 (that's $3.38/watt)

In addition, this is from one of the most reputable installers here in So Cal. Thoughts?

Would you mind PM'ing me the companies that you worked with for the quotes on the above? I am live in northern SD county and am looking for a 10kW system.

Thanks,

Poway

Comment

• KUK
          • Mar 2015

Option B: Same inverter setup (w/P300 Optimizers) with 26 LG300 panels (7.8kWh system) for $26,500 (that's $3.39/watt)

Option C: Same inverter setup (w/P300 Optimizers) with 28 LG300 panels (8.4kWh system) for $28,420 (that's $3.38/watt)

In addition, this is from one of the most reputable installers here in So Cal. Thoughts?
          Hi gsxrmike,
          Would you mind PM me the installer info (can't PM you too few posts)? I was quoted $25-26.5k for a 20 panel LG300 system (6.1kW, but with Enphase Microinverters) which amounts to $4.1 to 4.41/W.
          Thank you very much,
          Kay

Comment

• sdhomeowner
            • Sep 2015

Please PM installer

Wow, that's quite impressive. Many thanks for the amount of detail in your post, and for opening my eyes to looking elsewhere besides SunPower.

I just received the following quotes from one of the most reputable installers here in So Cal:

Option A: SolarEdge 7600 Inverter, P400 Optimizers, 25 year warranty on the Inverter, Wi-Fi monitoring, with 24 SunPower 327 watt panels for $36,000. That's a 7.85kWh system, for $4.58/watt.

Hi,

I'm in the market for a poweredge system in that price range. Gsxrmike, would you mind PM'ing me with your installer's information?

Thanks

Comment

• solar pete
              Administrator
              • May 2014

Originally posted by sdhomeowner
              Hi,

I'm in the market for a poweredge system in that price range. Gsxrmike, would you mind PM'ing me with your installer's information?

Thanks
              Hello sdhomeowner and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

This thread is a bit old so gsxmike might no be around much anymore. You should be aware that there are those who lurk on the forum trying to get people to buy from the installer they used as they get a referral fee, much better off doing your own homework.

A good place to start is by using the services of our site sponsors, www.solarreviews.com enter your zip code and or www.solar-estimate.org that one spits out a rough quote and an installer will call or email to go over in more detail.

Read up on solar there is a lot of good info to sift through here, understand that conservation is the best and most cost effective way to reduce your electricity bill, you might want to try googling solar for dummies apparently there is a free version of this online somewhere and its good for beginners to get a clue on how solar works.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solar pete

This thread is a bit old so gsxmike might no be around much anymore. You should be aware that there are those who lurk on the forum trying to get people to buy from the installer they used as they get a referral fee, much better off doing your own homework.

A good place to start is by using the services of our site sponsors, www.solarreviews.com enter your zip code and or www.solar-estimate.org that one spits out a rough quote and an installer will call or email to go over in more detail.

Read up on solar there is a lot of good info to sift through here, understand that conservation is the best and most cost effective way to reduce your electricity bill, you might want to try googling solar for dummies apparently there is a free version of this online somewhere and its good for beginners to get a clue on how solar works.
                An older version of Solar for Dummies is online and free for the looking and download. It's a bit dated but most of the info is still good, not unlike 3 yr. old solar panels - their output is still good.

Comment

• sdhomeowner
                  • Sep 2015

Hello Solar Pete

Originally posted by solar pete

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've gotten some great food for thought by reading opinions on this forum, but you are right, i will take any advice with a grain of salt.

Comment

• sdhomeowner
                    • Sep 2015

Thanks JPM

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                    An older version of Solar for Dummies is online and free for the looking and download. It's a bit dated but most of the info is still good, not unlike 3 yr. old solar panels - their output is still good.
                    Will check it out!

Comment

• ashleystarlie
                      • Sep 2015

Get All the Necessary Help in the Field of Electrical Devices

We have made it to the list of the top names in the field of Electric Installation and Electrical Trouble shooting.We have a large number of different services like Surge Protection in Boynton Beach, LED lighting in Boynton Beach, solar panels, Indoor, LED, outdoor and landscape lighting, wiringand many others. We have achieved number of milestones from the day of our beginning and are determined to keep doing it in the future as well. We have hired professionals that are hardworking and will make sure that you get the best output every single time.

Mod Note: Please do not attach direct links for advertising your company without getting permission from the Admins.

Last edited by SunEagle; 09-10-2015, 08:43 AM. Reason: deleted advertisement link

Comment

• igerstein
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                        2.) The Sunpower warranty may be better than some. However, I'm not sure I'd call it bumper to bumper. Also, it's part of the Sunpower premium, so it ain't free. BTW: If the panels are built like a tank, why do they need such a great warranty ? Read it and decide for yourself. This may be more anecdotal than provable, but it seems that, like other types of electronic appliances, if panels fail they do so relatively soon after install, and so far relatively few panels of most any mfr., Sunpower or anyone else's product have failed. More anecdotal stuff: In my HOA after about 7 years and about 55 residential installs, no panel failures to r

Here's the difference between your install using your "established local contractor" and cheap panels vs a sunpower system: If John the electrician shuts down his company, it goes out of business, whatever, you're &^%$#. Good luck calling Yingli and getting them to do warranty work. A huge part of the attractiveness of Sunpower (which yes, you pay a premium for) is that you'll never have to deal with that kind of stuff. Even though SP uses local installers, because their warranty is comprehensive even if whoever did your install is gone you're still protected. A defective panel doesn't mean a new one on a pallet in your driveway (like it does with EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER IN THE INDUSTRY), it means a new panel installed on your system. I guess that kind of security just appeals to me. People like those on a forum like this areprobably the opposite; you guys are all very involved in your installations and probably wouldn't mind sourcing a new contractor to install a replacement panel 10 years from now. Me? lolno

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by igerstein
                          People like those on a forum like this areprobably the opposite; you guys are all very involved in your installations and probably wouldn't mind sourcing a new contractor to install a replacement panel 10 years from now. Me? lolno
                          If panels routinely need to be replaced after only 10 years, that would be a huge black eye for the industry. Inverters, maybe... panels should last much longer.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• sdhomeowner
                            • Sep 2015

I think you are both right

I think the chance of having an issue with the panels is pretty slim. That said..

I was debating between having a contractor install Sunpower and doing LG myself. For a number of reasons, I ended up choosing Sunpower and contractor install. Warranty was one of the reasons. I would read through the warranties very carefully, they are all available online.

I believe the Sunpower warranty is better than LG because:

1. 25 years SP vs. 10 years LG on panel
                            2. SP degradation warranty is slightly better
                            3. SP warranty can be transferred to another owner, LG cannot
                            4. I'm not sure if LG will pay for another installer to complete repairs if the original goes out of business. Sunpower will.

Good luck!

Comment

• KUK
                              • Mar 2015

I had a similar system (to option B and C) installed for $3.36/watt (23 LG305 panels) so I think your quoted price is good. I shopped around for a while and got mostly quotes around $4/watt ($3.81-$4.36 for various different systems around 7kWh) and then someone on this forum put me in touch with his installer.
                              The system has been up and running since mid-June and I am very happy with its performance (produced almost 1.2MWh in July and August).
                              I went with the LG (over Sunpower) not only because of the price but also for some excellent reviews they got from members of the forum plus I believe in the general quality of LG products (I have several LG appliances and TVs and all work flawlessly).
                              Thanks,
                              Kay

Comment

• Zman
                                • Mar 2016

Do Sunpower bypass diodes eliminate the advantage of power optimizers like Solar Edge?

Sales rep explained to me that power optimizers are not necessary on SunPower panels because SP panels have bypass diodes at every one of the 96 cells within each panel. Does this makes sense that the large number of bypass diodes eliminates the advantage of optimizers?

Bigger question... Quote A for SP panels came in at $5.11/W. Quote B came in at $3.20/W for LG315 panels that include SolarEdge power optimizers, individual panel monitoring, and inverter.
                                System size is approx 8KW. Am I crazy to go with Quote A?

Comment

Working...