Difference between SunPower SPR-E20-327 and X20-327?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • granders51
    • Oct 2014

productiom

My system is 12.5kw approx. 38 Sunpower x20-327's....As for tilt and azimuth...No idea...

I am not BS'ing you..My peak sunny day was 74KWH....in May...during the summer I was mid 60's consistently.

Look at this screen capture for April 2nd...It rained that day and the system made 19.319KWH...I was shocked.

Capture-solar.JPG

TM

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tracym
      One thing I would say that is often overlooked...My Sunpower panels turn on early and make more power, even on cloudy day's or even rainy days than I would ever expect.....From speaking to my rep he says the power I am seeing is power that would never be generated from other, less efficient systems.

You usually get what you pay for....and with Sunpower I feel that it was money well spent...and in the long haul it was the best money spent.

TM
      Pay your money, take your choice. A lot of other opinion feels differently for what seem to be pretty sound reasons and experience that sounds a lot more substantial than salespersons hype.

Comment

• thejq
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

Did you install the P400 or P300 optimizers? If P300, you might be clipped some times. You should ask your installer to enable your public site so you can share. Unfortunately your link is for your private site which I can't see. But in terms of production, your AC W/DC W is 1.07e6/327/38 = 86.1. Mine is 480e3/4800 = 100. It's only been 2 months, so I can't say in 5 yrs what's going to happen. But at least the initial benefit doesn't seem to be power efficiency, but rather area efficiency.
        16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• granders51
          • Oct 2014

production

Maybe the best thing to do is compare production on different days...

Cloudy, sunny etc....System size is irrelevant...If you make x% of power on e day and then less 27% the next on a cloudy day....and I make only less 15% then there is something to be said about the equipment, No?

Comment

• granders51
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by thejq
            Did you install the P400 or P300 optimizers? If P300, you might be clipped some times. You should ask your installer to enable your public site so you can share. Unfortunately your link is for your private site which I can't see. But in terms of production, your AC W/DC W is 1.07e6/327/38 = 86.1. Mine is 480e3/4800 = 100. It's only been 2 months, so I can't say in 5 yrs what's going to happen. But at least the initial benefit doesn't seem to be power efficiency, but rather area efficiency.
            OK...I will ask...I thought you could see mine...let me check.

Comment

• granders51
              • Oct 2014

p400's I am told.

Comment

• granders51
                • Oct 2014

Here is the public link to my system monitoring.

Comment

• Jskeyes2
                  • Oct 2014

Pretty interesting. I am going to follow up see if others haven input.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by tracym
                    What do I stand to gain?

I have seen completely cloudy/overcast days where my system makes 20KWH in a day and cover almost 100% of my usage....less efficient system's would not produce that. Take it for what it's worth.....

Let's do this....in 5 years....let's compare output #'s? Everyone's a rock star in year one...Let's see what your system in producing 5 years from now...Bet the Sunpower panels lose less. TM
                    I have seen my panels run at 10% all day long with no clear sky. But they aren't Sunpower. Bruce Roe

Comment

• granders51
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                      I have seen my panels run at 10% all day long with no clear sky. But they aren't Sunpower. Bruce Roe
                      What does that mean? run at 10%? 10% of rated power?

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by granders51
                        What does that mean? run at 10%? 10% of rated power?
                        Meaning, a 250W panel may be putting out 25W for 10 hours under cloud cover. Bruce Roe

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

Running simulations in SAM could help put the difference in perspective. Here is an illustrative example, your actual numbers are sure to be different!

Let's say you've got 2 strings of 8 Sunpower X20-327-BLK panelsv(5.232 kW). Under some assumptions (including 0.25% degradation), year 1 generates 9200 kWh, year 25 generates 8664 kWh.

Now, keeping the assumptions the same, except degrade at 0.5% annually, and build the system with LG 275N1C-G3's.
                          Bumping each string up to 10 panels yields a 5.4 kW system. Year 1 generates 9800 kWh, Year 25 generates 8689 kWh.

Another alternative in between is to use strings of 9 LG 300NIC-G3's (also 5.4 kW). Year 1 generates 9702 kWh, Year 25 generates 8602 kWh.

I don't have pricing for these three hypothetical systems and cannot tell you which is the best value. However, if I was shopping and considering the Sunpower panels, I am sure I would want to get proposals for the non-sunpower configurations too.

Interestingly, SAM choked if I tried to put more than 8 Sunpower panels in a string on the SE6000 inverter. It said the voltage was too high (526.16 V with 9 panels, 584.62 V with 10 panels). This kind of jives with the data sheets, which lists the inverter at 500 V max, and the Sunpower's at 57.3 Vmp, and 67.6 Voc. Tracy's system has already survived the year, and at least one string is pretty much south facing... is there anyone with more experience than I have that would like to speculate why this works?
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

From PV Watts for your location - PV Watts calls for 1525 kWh in October -

If Sunpower does what you claim it would be in the company advertising and not just from a salesman's mouth.

Requested Location Ladera Ranch CA
                            Weather Data Source (TMY2) LONG BEACH, CA
                            36 mi
                            Latitude 33.82° N
                            Longitude 118.15° W
                            DC System Size 12.5 kW
                            Module Type Standard
                            Array Type Fixed (open rack)
                            Array Tilt 20°
                            Array Azimuth 180°
                            System Losses 14%
                            Inverter Efficiency 96%
                            DC to AC Size Ratio 1.1
                            Average Cost of Electricity Purchased
                            from Utility
                            0.16 $/kWh
                            Initial Cost 3.70 $/Wdc
                            Cost of Electricity Generated by System 0.19 $/kWh
                            3.91 1,196 196
                            4.61 1,276 209
                            5.34 1,623 265
                            6.31 1,837 300
                            6.49 1,937 317
                            6.56 1,899 310
                            7.09 2,073 339
                            6.99 2,030 332
                            6.09 1,728 283
                            5.10 1,525 249
                            4.29 1,262 206
                            3.78 1,147 188
                            5.55 19,533 $ 3,194
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• sensij
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by russ
                              From PV Watts for your location - PV Watts calls for 1525 kWh in October -

If Sunpower does what you claim it would be in the company advertising and not just from a salesman's mouth.
                              Gotta give PVWatts some credit, if you compare those numbers to what's in the system monitor that was linked in post #22, it is almost dead on.
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sensij
                                Gotta give PVWatts some credit, if you compare those numbers to what's in the system monitor that was linked in post #22, it is almost dead on.
                                Which means the panels in question perform about the same as any other panel.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...