Do I have enough mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have enough mounts

Hi, I'm installing my rails xr-100 and Quickmount mounts on a difficult part of my roof. It's a valley that is slightly wider than the panels. I have 6 mounts for a 16.5 foot rail run. 3 mounts on each rail for a total of 6 mounts for 5 panels. Because the way the rafters run I had to put blocking in for 4 of 6 mounts. Ironridge docs say span can be as much as 8 feet in this zone. I have a max of 7 between mounts.

Do you think this is enough or should I add 2 more? we don't get that much wind, maybe a storm a few times a year. Most I have even seen is 50 mph. No snow. In the attached pic its #2 I'm working on.
    Attached Files

In my opinion, you shouldn't trust us on this. But Ironridge technical support is excellent. They answer the phone and know what they are talking about. Give them a call and get their advice. If you do what they recommend for your situation, then you have good advice from people with data, plus you get their warranty.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Do you have an AHJ or building codes imposed by a municipal authority to comply with ?

If so, I'd check with them. Many/Most building codes in the U.S., and to my experience most of the rest of the civilized world follow ASCE-SEI 7-16 or some parts of it for design requirements with respect to external loadings including wind.

Even if you have no jurisdictional requirements, that's a reasonable source to help get a fit for purpose design with respect to external loadings.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I'll be giving Ironridge and the AHJ a call.

Comment

Is the blocking you added tied into the rafters in a secure fashion?
          If not, can it be?

IMO I would build it so that someone inspecting it in 10 years when you sell the place is going to think "hmm - that looks like it won't ever be a problem"

Comment

Yeah the blocking is anchored between existing 2x4s below a sheet of OSB with 2 lag bolts on either side. The roof would come off before the blocking even moved I used 2x4 blocking on the first row. I'll use 4x4 on the others so its not so hard to make sure they are aligned with the hole.

Comment

FYI, in Oregon, we have to have attachments every 48 inches and in some cases 24 inches. I had the system designed at 6’ on center and was a little shocked at how many attachments I had to purchase.
              Last edited by Mrdenial; 12-26-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X