X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jtc331

My goal currently isn't so much the best possible economics, but to try to also factor in actual ability to avoid net metering/have a system that makes sense even as those situations change.

So the coordination is more so that the existing system knows when to charge the battery. If it's not aware of the second system it could reasonably assume my own demand isn't being met by the solar generation and not charge the battery, even though the other system is already filling the slack, leading to unnecessary export.
    Another couple of good reasons. Not to mention it is nice to have all your production data in one place.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

I don't appear to be able to PM you...unsure if that's because I'm a new user or some other reason.
      This board has disabled the PM function in response to a plague of abusive chain referral operations not sanctioned by the board owner.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Yes, the reasoning on bifacial panels is largely aesthetic. I am curious where you're getting 35c/w panels though; I've generally seen about 50c/w at the low end, and that's on the cheapest poly panels. I've seen some bifacial panels that rival the cheaper mono panels at 66c/w.
        In your opinion, in what ways do bifacial panels affect aesthetics ?

Also, and to the degree that (relative) cost effectiveness is a consideration in all this, if at all, since a panel's production is largely but not entirely f(P.O.A. irradiance), and since most all the irradiance to the underside of a (mostly) horizontal panel is either diffuse or reflected diffuse irradiance, and most of the time that irradiance amounts to somewhere between 5 - 10 % or less of the frontside irradiance, why would paying more than 5-10 % additional $$ for a bifacial panel over a non bifacial panel make financial sense ?

Comment

• jtc331
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          In your opinion, in what ways do bifacial panels affect aesthetics ?
          The underside of standard panels with white backing sheets looks not great IMO; at least I probably wouldn't want it to be the ceiling I look up and see under a for-shade pergola.

The all glass look, as well as the partial light transmission makes it look much better, good enough IMO to be the roof you look up and see. That is, it almost becomes a statement piece rather than a industrial tech installation.

Also, and to the degree that (relative) cost effectiveness is a consideration in all this, if at all, since a panel's production is largely but not entirely f(P.O.A. irradiance), and since most all the irradiance to the underside of a (mostly) horizontal panel is either diffuse or reflected diffuse irradiance, and most of the time that irradiance amounts to somewhere between 5 - 10 % or less of the frontside irradiance, why would paying more than 5-10 % additional $$ for a bifacial panel over a non bifacial panel make financial sense ?
          The relative cost effectiveness (per watt) isn't a particularly large factor (though I'm not looking to buy $1.25 per watt "highest possible efficiency" panels), but as I've noted earlier there are some bifacial panels (LongI from CivicSolar, for example) whose cents per watt isn't that much off from a mono panel, so I'm not sure the price has to be huge problem anyway (unless you're comparing to the cheapest per-watt poly panels and have unlimited space, don't count per-panel optimizer cost, racking cost, etc.)

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

If you're looking for some aesthetics I think the micro inverters with all the extra cabling involved will negatively impact your overhead view.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• khanh dam
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2019

Originally posted by inetdog

This board has disabled the PM function.....
              no big deal, my pergola is made out of treated lumber and OP seems to be leading towards the modern aluminum ones anyway.
              and yes micro inverters/optimizers probably can't be hidden by those narrow aluminum wire troughs to will look messy. metal roof with tounge and groove ceiling is best solution for under panel asesthetics IMHO.

Comment

• jtc331
                • Aug 2019

Originally posted by khanh dam
                no big deal, my pergola is made out of treated lumber and OP seems to be leading towards the modern aluminum ones anyway.
                and yes micro inverters/optimizers probably can't be hidden by those narrow aluminum wire troughs to will look messy. metal roof with tounge and groove ceiling is best solution for under panel asesthetics IMHO.
                I'm actually not looking to use aluminium; here's an example of one that I think looks quite nice: https://www.altenergymag.com/article...aspergola/1099

Comment

• khanh dam
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2019

that will look nice for a couple of years max and then it will need to be restrained or sealed. but if you like it, contact the makers listed on the webpage.
                  pergola by Burgurello/Rastelli Construction of Reno, NV. not going to post my files for the whole world, you can figure something out if you really want them.

Comment

• NewBostonConst
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2018

Here is my DYI install at it's current state. Do plan on finishing it more though.

I didn't want a large inverter hanging out there so we went with Micro Inverters. The clear panel idea I might do on my next but will likely do a steel frame. Spans and loading was done to the same specs as a 2 car garage. We plan on using a elastomer sealer between the panels to keep the water from going through.

Good Luck with your project.

Comment

• khanh dam
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2019

elastomeric sealent with a 1" wide by 1/8" thick strip of aluminum or similar on top will probabaly make the sealent much more resistant to UV degredation and heat

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
                        I did that very thing, put the panels on normal racking, and then used 2" wide aluminum tape (not half mill thick foil, but real aluminum) and using a pencil as a form for an expansion channel, taped the joints. Been holding for 3 years now.

Un taped:
                        20160821_090914.jpg

post tape:
                        20160821_122339.jpg

You can see in the shadow, there is no stripe of light. I just didn't bother to take a pic of the tape

The tape goes on the top side, only on the frame bezel, not on the glass.
                        FWIW, I've used aluminum duct sealing tape (note : NOT duct tape) in a similar application. After a yr. or so it oxidized (passivated) but is still fit for service after 6+ yrs. I'd only suggest being mindful of the location and panel orientation with respect to future accessibility - much less of a concern w/ ground mounts. There may be some considerations with respect to air flow and its impact on panel temp. and wind loads - perhaps/probably minor but worth considering.

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by khanh dam
                          sorry but that is not a good reason to use bifacials.
                          We have a restaurant down here that has a ~100kW bifacial system that covers their exterior deck. Generates most of the power they use and provides shade while allowing a little light through. People seem to really like it. That seems like a good reason.

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

FWIW, I've used aluminum duct sealing tape (note : NOT duct tape) in a similar application.
                            FWIW a few solar racking suppliers now sell gap seals for exactly this purpose. Google "Sunmodo solar gasket."

Comment

• khanh dam
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2019

interesting gasket product! It is nice to see bifacial prices dropping they used to be 200 to 300% more than standard panels, now they are only about 20% more

Comment

• jtc331
                                • Aug 2019

Originally posted by jflorey2
                                FWIW a few solar racking suppliers now sell gap seals for exactly this purpose. Google "Sunmodo solar gasket."
                                I've been looking at this, but up until now have only seen the gasket itself and have been wondering how to handle intersecting corners, but I just now ran across this cap gasket that seems to solve that problem.

Do you by any chance know where you can buy these products? I've been googling for that, but so far have only been able to find the manufacturer's product pages.

Comment

Working...