Ground Mount Advice - Unirac Vs Iron Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Mount Advice - Unirac Vs Iron Ridge

I'm getting ready to install a 28 PV array and am between two ground mount racking setups.

Iron Ridge seems the most obvious and I like the landscape layout it offers. I'm a bit concerned of the headaches associated with landing two rows of 10 piers in a perfectly square / parallel configuration to make it happen.

unirac cantilever design seems better due to only requiring one row of support posts but it only does portrait layout which makes it longer. In addition, I've read all of documents I can find and am still unclear as to what size/ depth of concrete pile it would require me to use for each pier.

does anyone have any experience and advice to offer?

thanks,

joshua
    Last edited by Bloomj; 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM. Reason: Iron ridge ground mount unirac installation racking

Hello Bloomj and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

There are a number of members that have installed (or built) a ground mount system. They should be able to give you some pointers on which direction to take.

Just be aware that due to wind loading and local building codes the amount (or number) of concrete piers for a system will be different. The best info is to talk to your local code people and see what they want and will agree to if you perform a DIY system.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomj View Post
      I'm getting ready to install a 28 PV array and am between two ground mount racking setups.

Iron Ridge seems the most obvious and I like the landscape layout it offers. I'm a bit concerned of the headaches associated with landing two rows of 10 piers in a perfectly square / parallel configuration to make it happen.

unirac cantilever design seems better due to only requiring one row of support posts but it only does portrait layout which makes it longer. In addition, I've read all of documents I can find and am still unclear as to what size/ depth of concrete pile it would require me to use for each pier.
      thanks, joshua
      With a ground mount, you might want to consider a setup which allows easy tilt change for
      summer and winter seasons. This gets more important if you get snow. This one has proved
      its value for a year. Bruce Roe

18ArrayR.JPG
      Last edited by bcroe; 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

With the dual legs that one maybe didnt required as much concrete as a single pole might.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster
          With the dual legs that one maybe didnt required as much concrete as a single pole might.
          Not sure, the underground part for 6 pivot mounts is 77 bags of concrete and 240' of rebar. Post
          holes are a problem here with the rocks, so 6 trenches went front to back. Those pivots need to
          stay aligned, so the front and back are connected at the 4 foot depth. 24 panels. Bruce Roe

PVVpair2.JPG
          Last edited by bcroe; 03-11-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Not sure, the underground part for 6 pivot mounts is 77 bags of concrete and 240' of rebar. Post
            holes are a problem here with the rocks, so 6 trenches went front to back. Those pivots need to
            stay aligned, so the front and back are connected at the 4 foot depth. 24 panels. Bruce Roe

PVVpair2.JPG

Bruce, Can your panels lay fully horizontal which could be very beneficial in an expected high wind event?
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

PVtilt1.JPG
              Originally posted by littleharbor
              Bruce, Can your panels lay fully horizontal which could be very beneficial in an expected high wind event?
              They certainly could, used that position to throw the panels up. Its designed to swing 90 degrees
              from vertical to horizontal. But doubt I would ever do that for wind. Bruce Roe

​​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I need to pivot the array. We don't get much, if any snow here in South Carolina.

I'm now considering MT Solar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloomj View Post
                  Thanks for the replies. I don't think I need to pivot the array. We don't get much, if any snow here in South Carolina.
                  There is a website that gives suggestions for 2 and 4 times a year angle changes to increase harvest. I don't recall it, but Google will help you. The greatest improvement is a change in spring and fall, flatter during summer, more vertical during winter. PVWatts will help you quantify improvement.

I'm in Greenville SC, roof mounted, about 50 degrees (far more vertical than optimum). I get better performance in winter than others do, but poorer in summer (and annualized) than I would at a flatter angle.

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post

There is a website that gives suggestions for 2 and 4 times a year angle changes to increase harvest. I don't recall it, but Google will help you. The greatest improvement is a change in spring and fall, flatter during summer, more vertical during winter. PVWatts will help you quantify improvement.

I'm in Greenville SC, roof mounted, about 50 degrees (far more vertical than optimum). I get better performance in winter than others do, but poorer in summer (and annualized) than I would at a flatter angle.
                    Solar tilt app. Very cool as you can find exact tilt, any day of the year and anywhere on earth. GPS for you location and built in tilt gauge for setting your panels angle.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post

I would be the same if I roof mounted mine. That's one reason I'm going ground mounted. Going with Unirac.

Comment

Working...
                      X