No announcement yet.

Advice for a 11.7kw DIY system in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What part of FL are you in? I just finished installing a 15Kw system on my home just about the same equipment. If you're close by I can show you how the connections are made.

Comment

Hey. That's really nice of you to reach out. I would die for a community of DIYers. I'm in Panama City. The supplier I was gonna use was CED Greentech in Sarasota.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

I would get 3 soladecks and put one under each array to penetrate into the attic, a bit cleaner. You can also put a small AC panel on the inside back to one of the soladecks to do the combining in the attic. This leaves the breakers in the attic where they can be more easily reset if needed, instead of under a PV module.

Run conduit down to a disconnect and paint it to match the siding

OP should check as a locking disconnect is commonly required.
        Ok, I think I'm following. Can someone give the down and dirty of the advantages of a Soladeck with fuses over a basic j box to combine branches. Seems like I have see so many installs where the branches are just simply brought to a j box and combined with wire nuts to the circuit running to the inverter / a/c disconnect.

I attached a pic of what I see a lot of
        ​​​​​​​
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tooncinator View Post

Ok, I think I'm following. Can someone give the down and dirty of the advantages of a Soladeck with fuses over a basic j box to combine branches. Seems like I have see so many installs where the branches are just simply brought to a j box and combined with wire nuts to the circuit running to the inverter / a/c disconnect.
          The soladeck is like a JBox but a little bigger and allows penetration through the roof in a water tight manor.

You can add fuses to combine or just use it to get into the attic.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

The soladeck is like a JBox but a little bigger and allows penetration through the roof in a water tight manor.

You can add fuses to combine or just use it to get into the attic.
            I see what you are saying. Ive been improperly saying that I was going to use a J box when I really meant a flashed J box for making the pass through the roof. So you're pointing out the importance of the flashed pass through not so much the fuses.

Ok. So I like the idea of using A Soladeck under each array. Is there a certain type of box that I would use to combine the three branches into to make a single homer in? Is there actually any advantage to running a single Or is it just as well to run all three branch circuits and their individual grounding wires in 3/4 EMT?

thanks for all the help guys.
            Last edited by Tooncinator; 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I see what you are saying. Ive been improperly saying that I was going to use a J box when I really meant a flashed J box for making the pass through the roof. So you're pointing out the importance of the flashed pass through not so much the fuses.

Ok. So I like the idea of using A Soladeck under each array. Is there a certain type of box that I would use to combine the three branches into to make a single homer in? Is there actually any advantage to running a single Or is it just as well to run all three branch circuits and their individual grounding wires in 3/4 EMT?

thanks for all the help guys.
              you can use any small fuse panel with a main fuse rated high enough for the combined circuit

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I attached a pic of what I see a lot of
                ​​​​​​​
                That's how I did mine since I have 4 branches I would have needed 4 SolaDecks (or conduit running between SolaDeks on the roof) In the end I opted for JBoxes which penetrate via QuickMount PV flashed penetration mounts)

Pics:
                https://i.imgur.com/XvfxVXx.jpg
                https://i.imgur.com/jkxq6zr.jpg
                https://i.imgur.com/8vIK9WH.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind, from that picture you posted. IF you're using conduit metallic all the way down to your disconnect means, that green ground wire isn't needed since the conduit body acts as the EGC then you just ground your conduit to your ground bar. IF you're using romex inside the attic to skip the need for conduit, then you WILL need that EGC.

Comment

Working...
                X