Wire Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings to sunny California.
    I am afraid to say I was conned when I bought these panels.
    It would appear they are the 20v version you mention.

Comment

It's easy to understand the confusion, being that the output voltage is rated over 24 volts. The problem is that rating is done in carefully controlled light and temp conditions indoors. In the real world these panels will get considerably hotter than the conditions they are rated in. Voltage of solar panels is directly related to cell temperature. As they warm up the voltage will drop. In hot conditions the voltage of a 60 cell panel will drop too low to charge a 24 volt, flooded lead acid battery. Equalizing a 24 volt battery requires up to and beyond 30 volts. A typical 60 cell panel couldn't do this in any but very cold conditions.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Understood and appreciated. As you have probably guessed I have already wired it as described. I just need to know if I am doing any damage or will it just underperform. The system is in Tanzania and I am in Kenya. If you say I am doing damage then I have a guy down there who could disconnect till I sort this problem out. I am already looking at puting the 24v panels in series and buying
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPEVER-Tr...3hjXUS-DeUYtxQ
        Can I leave the current arrangement till I am back down there in a few weeks??

Comment

Understood and appreciated. As you have probably guessed I have already wired it as described. I just need to know if I am doing any damage or will it just underperform. The system is in Tanzania and I am in Kenya. If you say I am doing damage then I have a guy down there who could disconnect till I sort this problem out. I am already looking at puting the 24v panels in series and buying
          Can I leave the current arrangement till I am back down there in a few weeks??

Comment

I doubt it will hurt the panels. If your batteries aren't getting charged properly you will be shortening their life. You don't have 24 volt panels, remember? When you get a real mppt controller you can use your 60 cell panels properly. Don't mix your panels then either.

Comment

Thanks for that. Am getting a proper controller. I have the current controller shut things down at 21.5 and only have a small small fridge of 50 watts to run so should be ok till I get back. Much appreciate your time and imput.
              Cheers
              Mike
              Last edited by Aussiemike; 03-04-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Any time. BTW the sun's up here now.

Comment

We have just gone dark. Enjoy your day.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiemike View Post
                    I have array number one
                    2x12 volt panels of 200 watts each in series. Therefore 24v and 200 watts.

Then I have array number two.
                    2x24 volt panels of 250 watts each in parallel. Therefore 24v and 500 watts.

My question is can I connect both these arrays to a single (FAKE?) LCD 60A 80A 12V/24V MPPT Solar Panel Charge Controller Battery Regulator ???

Will I just loose serious performance or will I do damage?
                    What you've listed is not what the controller is seeing.
                    Your 200w 36cell(12v nominal) panels likely produce 11a @18v, (11x18=about 200). Two of them is series produce 11a @36v, about 400w (11x36).
                    Your 250w 60cell panels likely produce 8.3a @30v, (8.3x30=250).
                    The controller has 3 parallel strings running to it, two of them would be optimum at 8.3a@30v and one at 11a@36v.
                    If the controller is truly mppt, it can only set one voltage, so all strings would be operated at the lower 30v limit. So the two 200w panels will only be produce their max amps at 30v (11x30=333), so only 333w instead of 400w. This would add to the 500w being produced by the other 2 panels, for a total output of 733w in ideal test conditions.
                    If the controller is a fake, then the volts are being kept even lower than that, at battery voltage.
                    At most, the controller is seeing about 30a @30v.

The only harm you are probably doing is to the batteries that aren't seeing enough charging current to avoid sulfation. You need to get that other panel into the mix, and the best way to do that is two separate mppt controllers to the same battery bank, one for all 3 of the 200w panels in series; and the other for the two 250w panels in series. That will give you the 40a you need for the batteries.

Comment

Really appreciated Lance. Still trying to get my old head around it though.
                      Is is possible you might put this in a diagram so I will no ef up.?
                      Also would like your opinion on this
                      Is it the real deal?

Comment

Yes they are the real deal. The max Voc. is 100 volts so you can wire your 60 cell panels 2s2p. The largest of these controllers is 40 amp I believe so 2s2p is about all you can shoehorn into this controller in a 24 volt battery configuration.

Comment

Comment

Hi Guys
                            The learning curve I am going through has caused me to buy things I now realize I do not need.
                            However, as I now have them and they cost a lot of money I would like to keep what I have and try and arrange in such a manner that it works regardless of the efficiency.
                            That I can wait till further purchases.
                            Will the following diagram function without me blowing things up?
                            Please feel free to add size and position of suitable fusing.
                            Thank you all for bearing with me throughout this ordeal.
                            Cheers
                            Aussiemike in the Third World solar diagram.jpg
                            orld.

Comment

Your drawing shows 4 12 volt 200 watt panels. This gives you 800 watts in any configuration. When in series your voltage adds, amperage remains the same, however total watts is total watts any way configuration. That being said you are likely maxed out on your controller with the 800 watts of 12 volt panels. Unless your 250watt panels are 72 cell panels they wont mix with your 12 volt panels. You can always run them through another controller into your battery bank but although 40 amps from the first controller is right in the sweet spot for charging your 400 ah battery bank already.

When paralleling two strings of batteries you should make your connections to diagonal, opposite corners of the bank. So your positive, or negative connection needs to move down to the lower string
                              Last edited by littleharbor; 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I learn something everyday.
                                You are saying I am getting 800 watts from four 12v series/parallel configuration?
                                If I add the 24v batteries through another mppt should they be series or parallel?
                                And if I have enough into the system without the 24v panels can I use them in a completely separate parallel array to charge 2x12v 150ah batteries in parallel to give me a stand alone 12 volt setup?
                                Cannot thank you enough for this assistance.
                                When I finally get all this in my head I have another 10 systems to do for friends. Must get it right before I even think about that job.

Comment

Working...
                                X