Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dang spam protection blew my cut and paste away:
    Maximum PV Open Circuit Voltage 60 volts
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks Mike,
      Is the specs for the controller referring to the battery side or the input from the PV?
      If I cannot use the controller as you say with 60v should I series and parallel my array down to 24v?
      Cheers Mike

Comment

There are many specs for the controller, one is Max PV input voltage
        other is Output voltage and Amps. You have to discover in the tech literature, what the specs are for the controller you are looking at.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The EPever 4210a, which I believe is what you have, has 2 important specs related to this. Max PV Voc is 100v at minimum operating temperature (92v@25celsius), and the MPP voltage range is V(batt)+2v up to 72v. The Voc on your panels are probably around 22v, so 4x should be about 88v and your in a warm tropical environment so I doubt you will ever even see that much voltage.

It's the second spec that concerns me, although tbh I'm still a noobie to all this and I may be interpreting it incorrectly. The MPP (Maximum Power Point) voltage range in your case would be 26v-72v. I think this means that the PV can not be operated at over 72v by the controller. This may not be an issue, however. 72v/4=18v, so each panel would be operated at an 18v max which is probably very very close to the MPP anyway so not a huge cause for concern. You may be giving up some production at the rare times when the panels would have produced more if operated at 19 or 20v.

If your were to use the panels in 2S2P formation, you would dip below the 26v MPP range minimum when the batteries discharge beyond a certain percent. I think this would be a bigger issue than running in 4S.

When you get ready to put your 250w 60cell panels into use, I'd use the controller you have now for them and buy a different controller for the 4x 36cell panels. [Perhaps the EPever 4215bn (rated to 150v Voc and 108v MPP max)]. This will solve the issue, and the 4210a will be fine with 2x 60cell panels in 2S, where the MPP voltage will be around 60v instead of near the 72v max limit. You could also easily add 2 more 250w 60cells in a 2S2P configuration and be fine with the 4210a there at near 1000w production.
          Last edited by SupraLance; 03-19-2018, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Much appreciate your input. Will be down in Tanzania to install all this properly. Will keep you updated.
            Cheers
            Mike

Comment

PS: I edited in more information while you were posting, just want to make sure you see that too...

Comment

Just reread. Very good advice and when I add I will buy that other Epever 4215bn.
                Will see how the first lot work first.
                Cheers
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X