Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar edge install, company refuses to supply login details?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Solar edge install, company refuses to supply login details?

    Hi,

    My mum has recently had her panels fitted with solar edge.

    The company who installed them is not willing to provide details of the login to the web interface. I have asked for this because after them going up on the roof and lifting every panel - I would just like to see it is working properly. At the moment we have not paid for the install, they are saying they want full payment before allowing access.

    Is this normal? To me it seems like asking someone to pay for a car without hearing the engine running.

    There is no display on the inverter, so while we can check the generation meter to see if it's doing something - it's hard to know that every panel is working.

    The company first tried to tell me 'it is the law' that payment is made first, but backed away from this when I asked 'the law in which country?'

    They then told me it was 'solar edge policy' - I said ok if that's the case I will call solar edge and verify this. Then they backed away from this claim and told me it was their own policy - but when I asked why the policy exists they said they didn't know.. it's just policy.

    I also offered to pay half before, half after they allow access to the web interface, they refused.

    Clearly this is a leverage they use to try and ensure payment - do people think this is reasonable? - should we just pay them in full? I am worried that if we do we have little recourse if the system does not function properly!

    Any opinions greatly appreciated!

  • #2
    Hi Dusty42 I dont like the sound of this, I get that some companies will want a part payment at different stages of the job and if they expected this from you and have not received it it could prompt them to not finish the job. In saying that our install company in Australia would never behave like the company you are dealing with does, I think its totally reasonable that if they expect payment in full that the system be operational before hand. I think if I were you I would stick to my guns and want them to get the system up and running in every respect but you must agree to pay in full the moment this happens. If that fails I would start using words like BBB and writing a review on solarreviews.com you might be surprised that this could get their attention. Did you look into these guys first, did you look for them on solarreviews.com? I hope things work out for you, cheers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not an opinion as much as a question reeking with common sense: What does the contract you signed say ? I'd start there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Then invite them to log in with their own computer, and show you "proof of life" before you pay. Dangle the check in front of them. Read the screen, cover 1 panel, and see if the power drops off. then when you are happy, hand them the check.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

        solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks all for the responses.

          To me it does seem odd - we were not made aware of the conditions before hand. The install was agreed after they cold called my mum. My mum is quite elderly and tends to be quite trusting(probably too trusting). I assume her details have been sold on to multiple solar companies as she frequently gets unsolicited calls or people coming to the door.

          From speaking to her, there is no contract. She has signed nothing. I got her to haggle down on the price they originally asked, but I live quite a long way away, so until now that is about the only involvement I've had.

          Foolishly we did not look into them too much - but they have been around for a while and there are positive reviews for them online, also a few negative - but mainly positive. Of course there is nothing to say these reviews are genuine.

          I've contacted solar edge asking if they find this acceptable from a supposed 'recommended partner', no response yet. And asking if there is any recourse if they continue to deny access to the installed system.

          We are completely willing to pay, the agreed price.. As you suggest Mike90250 I will see about asking if they will visit which would mean them not actually having to hand over the details.

          I can sort of see that this is maybe their only leverage to ensure payment - but it seems underhand to me and if we find a couple of panels are not working, what then? With the money in their pocket I doubt they will be rushing round to repair. They also went up on the roof of an old building with a slate roof using only ladders, so to a degree I'm concerned they could have damaged the roof, but thats a separate point and I have no evidence of this.

          Yes I will certainly be posting some reviews if this is not resolved satisfactorily. We should have been more careful before allowing them to complete the work!! I've also installed an app on my phone to record any further telephone contact I have with them - as I hate being lied to!

          Comment


          • #6
            One option... Register yourself as an installer on Solaredge, and then try to create your system yourself on their site. If your installer hasn't set up your system yet, your inverter serial number will still be available to be used in this way.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dusty42 View Post
              Thanks all for the responses.

              To me it does seem odd - we were not made aware of the conditions before hand. The install was agreed after they cold called my mum. My mum is quite elderly and tends to be quite trusting(probably too trusting). I assume her details have been sold on to multiple solar companies as she frequently gets unsolicited calls or people coming to the door.

              From speaking to her, there is no contract. She has signed nothing. I got her to haggle down on the price they originally asked, but I live quite a long way away, so until now that is about the only involvement I've had.

              Foolishly we did not look into them too much - but they have been around for a while and there are positive reviews for them online, also a few negative - but mainly positive. Of course there is nothing to say these reviews are genuine.

              I've contacted solar edge asking if they find this acceptable from a supposed 'recommended partner', no response yet. And asking if there is any recourse if they continue to deny access to the installed system.

              We are completely willing to pay, the agreed price.. As you suggest Mike90250 I will see about asking if they will visit which would mean them not actually having to hand over the details.

              I can sort of see that this is maybe their only leverage to ensure payment - but it seems underhand to me and if we find a couple of panels are not working, what then? With the money in their pocket I doubt they will be rushing round to repair. They also went up on the roof of an old building with a slate roof using only ladders, so to a degree I'm concerned they could have damaged the roof, but thats a separate point and I have no evidence of this.

              Yes I will certainly be posting some reviews if this is not resolved satisfactorily. We should have been more careful before allowing them to complete the work!! I've also installed an app on my phone to record any further telephone contact I have with them - as I hate being lied to!
              Wait a minute ! No one signed anything ? Are you in the developed world ? If no contract was presented or signed, something is way wrong here. I'd also be very suspicious and skeptical of the safety and suitability of work done by such a company. Something is not right. Sound suspiciously to me like someone taking advantage of the elderly.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have been in contact with solar edge, they are offering to check the system is functioning correctly.

                Very good suggestion sensij - but I now know they have set up the interface, they will just not let us access it. This morning the installer sent us screen grabs, declaring this 'proof'. Obviously it is easy to doctor such things.

                However, given the offer from solar edge(for which I still need to provide the serial number) and the screenshot from the installation company, I was about to advise my mum to pay once we had independent confirmation of normal function from solar edge, all panels visible etc.

                Then, a few hours ago my mum received another 'intimidating' phone call from the sales manager of said installation company. Repeatedly saying we were refusing to pay 'you are refusing to pay, you are refusing to pay, you are refusing to pay' etc and again threatening to take my 70yo mother to court. The system was only installed last week. This kind of aggressive pressure against a elderly lady is not acceptable in my book, not to mention extremely unprofessional. I will now be investigating what action I can take against this company.

                @ J.P.M. I agree, I was not aware of this before the install, but it appears my mum just agreed on the phone and that was it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dusty42 View Post
                  I have been in contact with solar edge, they are offering to check the system is functioning correctly.

                  Very good suggestion sensij - but I now know they have set up the interface, they will just not let us access it. This morning the installer sent us screen grabs, declaring this 'proof'. Obviously it is easy to doctor such things.

                  However, given the offer from solar edge(for which I still need to provide the serial number) and the screenshot from the installation company, I was about to advise my mum to pay once we had independent confirmation of normal function from solar edge, all panels visible etc.

                  Then, a few hours ago my mum received another 'intimidating' phone call from the sales manager of said installation company. Repeatedly saying we were refusing to pay 'you are refusing to pay, you are refusing to pay, you are refusing to pay' etc and again threatening to take my 70yo mother to court. The system was only installed last week. This kind of aggressive pressure against a elderly lady is not acceptable in my book, not to mention extremely unprofessional. I will now be investigating what action I can take against this company.

                  @ J.P.M. I agree, I was not aware of this before the install, but it appears my mum just agreed on the phone and that was it.
                  Something is way wrong. For starters, I'd take steps to ensure no funds are released to anyone. Also, given your statement that no one signed anything, the continuing abusive activity and uncooperative, not to mention unprofessional and abusive behavior you claim the vendor is engaging in, I'd have serious doubts about the safety of anything that vendor installed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes, J.P.M. after the nasty call earlier I called back the sales guy we first had dealings with, I asked for his name and his boss's name(his boss is the sales manager who has been making the intimidating calls). I was a little surprised when the person stated the two names, but with the same surname, basically he gave me his name, which I believe is real, and a different forename for his boss, but the same surname.. strange I thought - but maybe just coincidence. The two individuals have very different accents so I assume unlikely to be related. So given my suspicions, I phoned the main office saying I was a customer - sure enough I was given the same first name for the sales manager, but a different surname. Very bizarre. Why would you lie about something like this?

                    I recorded both calls, and listening back - you can tell the guy is lying. And lying so un-inventively that put on the spot the only false name he could come up with was his own surname!

                    I also asked for the CEO's name, but was told he didn't know!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dusty42 View Post
                      Yes, J.P.M. after the nasty call earlier I called back the sales guy we first had dealings with, I asked for his name and his boss's name(his boss is the sales manager who has been making the intimidating calls). I was a little surprised when the person stated the two names, but with the same surname, basically he gave me his name, which I believe is real, and a different forename for his boss, but the same surname.. strange I thought - but maybe just coincidence. The two individuals have very different accents so I assume unlikely to be related. So given my suspicions, I phoned the main office saying I was a customer - sure enough I was given the same first name for the sales manager, but a different surname. Very bizarre. Why would you lie about something like this?

                      I recorded both calls, and listening back - you can tell the guy is lying. And lying so un-inventively that put on the spot the only false name he could come up with was his own surname!

                      I also asked for the CEO's name, but was told he didn't know!
                      That's all very nice and perhaps useful, but what or how will you use the information to help resolve what may be big problems with this whole affair ? NOMB, but do you intend to fish or cut bait ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        In the USA, this borders on Elder Abuse.
                        Without a signed contract, you have no recourse if your roof was damaged during the install. You may have to get City Hall involved - unlicensed contractors taking money for jobs.
                        If the serial # has not been registered, try registering it yourself - does the inverter have an internet connection so it can report production ?
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

                        solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          @ J.P.M. It's not particularly useful, but at least it gives understanding of what's being dealt with. There are lots of possible options going forward, but for now I will probably just pay them with a credit card, as in the short term there is not much choice. There's no direct evidence there is any problem with the system, although a lot of this company's practices are at least questionable.

                          @ Mike90250 Yes trying to pressure my mum by repeatedly calling is pretty sick imo. I'm pretty sure the inverter is registered, solar edge will confirm tomorrow. Yes at the contract situation, I will try asking for a copy of this document before I pay, but my mum is adamant she has seen nothing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Perhaps you should see if a city/county inspection was done and if all the permits are in order- then maybe hire a roof inspector to look at the work done - any discrepancies and I would refuse to pay and threaten with court action- play hardball- they are trying to... and (if as you say) there is no signed contract that they can go back on- you can also take the attitude that you don't own them anything or that you already paid in cash like they asked or whatever you come up with...- then see what it their tune is.
                            I think you can set up a homeowner account also on SE.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X