Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Mounting Option for Rock-Covered Roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Off Grid View Post

The HOA for the building didn't seem to think it would be a problem, but I have a feeling inspectors would disagree with them. It's hard to know for sure since there is a pretty solid-looking support structure underneath, but now that I have all of this in mind, I would rather not risk panels falling through the roof or blowing off into nearby traffic (which includes a lot of huge trucks and pedestrians).
    HOA is not the same as AHJ which is looking at the codes.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
      Your HOA for the building is probably right. It is TWO panels. If that is a problem, I suggest that folk start looking for new digs sooner rather than later.
      As you SHOULD know HOA has nothing to do with safety or building codes. Further the codes and requirements do not distinguish based on quantity of solar modules.

Comment

Didn't say they did have anything to do with code, said they were probably right.

Comment

Didn't say they did have anything to do with code, said they were probably right.
          Do you hang out in hospitals, dressed in scrubs and give random advice there as well?

Comment

I could if you just bring me skinned knees and splinters.

Comment

I could if you just bring me skinned knees and splinters.
              Then you could expect to be arrested and prosecuted for impersonation and perhaps practicing medicine without a license. So it goes with other professions as well, including Professional Engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Off Grid View Post

... panels falling through the roof or blowing off into nearby traffic (which includes a lot of huge trucks and pedestrians).
                Trust me, when that happens you don't want to be the one holding the bag.

BD suggested ground mounted posts just for experiments; you can make racking or even rails from wood if you like, just make sure panels are well attached to them. Proper long term ground mounts would also require permits and visit to your local building department. It's not that bad, just a little overwhelming at first.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

Trust me, when that happens you don't want to be the one holding the bag.

BD suggested ground mounted posts just for experiments; you can make racking or even rails from wood if you like, just make sure panels are well attached to them. Proper long term ground mounts would also require permits and visit to your local building department. It's not that bad, just a little overwhelming at first.
                  From what I see, the newer the panel, the less metal is in the frame. The weak point may be the panel
                  attachment to the support, I can imagine it being ripped off before anything else lets go. I am not getting
                  excited to use 6 or 8 bolts, though. Bruce Roe
                  Last edited by bcroe; 08-23-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

From what I see, the newer the panel, the less metal is in the frame. The week point may be the panel
                    attachment to the support, I can imagine it being ripped off before anything else lets go. I am not getting
                    excited to use 6 or 8 bolts, though. Bruce Roe
                    Unless you are technically and legally qualified to render an engineering opinion on structural engineering, and also prepared to back up that opinion in court, what you may think probably doesn't matter much. Short of that, follow manufacturer's recommendations as f(local codes) require.

Comment

Working...
                    X