Sealant Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealant Recommendation

What sealant do you guys recommend for a comp roof?

Thats all, pretty simple, just looking for some feedback so I can do my own research.

Thanks all.

Originally posted by arcsum68 View Post
    What sealant do you guys recommend for a comp roof?

Thats all, pretty simple, just looking for some feedback so I can do my own research.

Thanks all.
    I think what you want is to look at flashing like ironridge flashfoot:
    http://files.ironridge.com/flashfoot...Tech_Brief.pdf

or quickmount:
    http://www.quickmountpv.com/products...ion-mount.html
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

or quickmount:
      Even with a flashing, most manufacturers still recommend you add sealant to the hole. I can't remember what kinds are recommended, but if you call QuickMount's customer service, I believe they can suggest a good product.

Comment

or quickmount:
        Thanks butch, already decided on the Flashfoot for my application, it just looks too easy.

Still everything I have read says

1. I will poke some holes in my roof that I do not need, and even though they will be protected by flashing I should still fill them with a sealant.
        2. I should put sealant in the hole before I drive the lag bolt
        3. To add some sealant in a U shape to the bottom of the flashing to shed water away from the penetration point.

Henry's 208 seems to be popular, but I was wondering what you guys recommend.

Comment

Thanks butch, already decided on the Flashfoot for my application, it just looks too easy.

Still everything I have read says

1. I will poke some holes in my roof that I do not need, and even though they will be protected by flashing I should still fill them with a sealant.
          2. I should put sealant in the hole before I drive the lag bolt
          3. To add some sealant in a U shape to the bottom of the flashing to shed water away from the penetration point.

yes just wanted to make sure you were not planning on using L-Feet and sealant without flashing.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

yes just wanted to make sure you were not planning on using L-Feet and sealant without flashing.
            Read an article recently, apparently that used to be standard practice, too funny.

Comment

Fwiw, the installers used M1 on my comp roof using flash Lfoot brackets. We don't get much rain here, almost no real wind, and winters barely reach 32f on a few days.

Comment

Hopefully you'll have good luck hitting the rafters, and will do well at drilling the holes perpendicular to the roof.

I used Loctite PLS30.

Hopefully that was a good choice.

This is a material selection choice that took me a while to decide which to go with. Even after spending a fair amount of time researching, I didn't feel like I had a good grasp on whether PLS30 or other options would be the best for my roof.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
                  Hopefully you'll have good luck hitting the rafters, and will do well at drilling the holes perpendicular to the roof.

I used Loctite PLS30.

Hopefully that was a good choice.

This is a material selection choice that took me a while to decide which to go with. Even after spending a fair amount of time researching, I didn't feel like I had a good grasp on whether PLS30 or other options would be the best for my roof.
                  Thanks foo1bar, your experience is exactly why I asked. The few reviews I found are very promising.

Comment

I use geocel proflex clear. That way when it inevitably gets all over your hands it doesn't turn them black. Good sealant too.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben25 View Post
                      I use geocel proflex clear. That way when it inevitably gets all over your hands it doesn't turn them black. Good sealant too.

Ben
                      I use that stuff on my RV, very sticky stuff.

Comment

Another vote for Geocel

I Used Geocel 2300 Clear. Best stuff I've ever used. It is firmer than silicone and is almost workable like a mortar would be.

I had difficulty finding it locally and most online places were pricey. I ended up ordered 8 tubes from Seamless Gutter supply of Maryland for a very fair price.

It also worked great for sealing around my Soladeck. A flattened bead at the junction between the shingles and the Soladeck and some granules out of the gutter to finish it off really worked well.

Comment

Had this exact question this weekend! I mounted 28 Flashfoots (flashfeet?). Used a Loctite product tube, and then Henry 209. All of it was messy, gross, and smelly!

I also bought some metal "shingle" repair pieces, since I accidentally drilled in a few places I shouldn't have.

On my roof, I found the "roof dance" worked exceptionally well. I don't think I missed any that way. I initially tried the drilling up from the attic, but that was too cumbersome.

I was working alone, and found it helpful to drill one set of rafters, screw bolts in a tiny ways, and use those to hold the chalk line for the horizontal row. Before I discovered this, I made a pretty wavy line of mounts Hope the rail can adequately bend to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by d_1d View Post
                            Had this exact question this weekend! I mounted 28 Flashfoots (flashfeet?). Used a Loctite product tube, and then Henry 209. All of it was messy, gross, and smelly!

I also bought some metal "shingle" repair pieces, since I accidentally drilled in a few places I shouldn't have.

On my roof, I found the "roof dance" worked exceptionally well. I don't think I missed any that way. I initially tried the drilling up from the attic, but that was too cumbersome.

I was working alone, and found it helpful to drill one set of rafters, screw bolts in a tiny ways, and use those to hold the chalk line for the horizontal row. Before I discovered this, I made a pretty wavy line of mounts Hope the rail can adequately bend to compensate.
                            Awesome tips, thanks. I will be doing much of the work myself too.

Plans are submitted to the utility and waiting for their letter of approval. It's a long shot, but I am hoping to be installed by end of year, maybe not connected, but at least installed. Hopefully the weather plays nice with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsolar View Post
                              Another vote for Geocel

I Used Geocel 2300 Clear. Best stuff I've ever used. It is firmer than silicone and is almost workable like a mortar would be.

I had difficulty finding it locally and most online places were pricey. I ended up ordered 8 tubes from Seamless Gutter supply of Maryland for a very fair price.

It also worked great for sealing around my Soladeck. A flattened bead at the junction between the shingles and the Soladeck and some granules out of the gutter to finish it off really worked well.
                              Thanks for the tip on Seamless Gutter. By far the best price on Geocel I could find.
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
                              X