Getting SMA's web connect to work on WIFI?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garybeck
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2009

Getting SMA's web connect to work on WIFI?

Has anyone here tried to get SMA's Web Connect to work on wireless? It requires an ethernet connection of course, but there is no ethernet available at the site of the inverter for an installation I'm working on. There is WIFI. I thought about using one of these:

It mainly is designed to receive a wireless connection and "repeat" or "extend" the signal, but I noticed it also has an ethernet port on it.

I haven't tried it yet.... wondering if anyone here has. I called SMA and they said it "should" work but they wouldn't support it.
    Driver of the Solar Bus
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

I just installed one of these. A bit less expensive than what you linked, and it has two ports, which you might not need but I did. Set it in "Client" mode, and it connects to the Wifi network and allows hardwired connections. Not too hard to set up, it will even search for available SSID's and list them by MAC Address. It was helpful for me because I have two access points with the same SSID and wanted to make sure it was connecting to the right one.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• garybeck
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sensij
      I just installed one of these. A bit less expensive than what you linked, and it has two ports, which you might not need but I did. Set it in "Client" mode, and it connects to the Wifi network and allows hardwired connections. Not too hard to set up, it will even search for available SSID's and list them by MAC Address. It was helpful for me because I have two access points with the same SSID and wanted to make sure it was connecting to the right one.
      thanks. were you using it with the SMA web connect?
      Driver of the Solar Bus

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

No, with a SolarEdge inverter. It doesn't matter though, it is equivalent to plugging directly into your router.

Comment

• silversaver
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

Depends on the location of inverter and router. My inverter locate in the garage where wifi signal is really low. I could have use what sensij suggest but buy 2 of them (one for client and other as repeater for range extension) but installer supply me with powerline adapter instead.

Comment

• Haynesexplains
            • Jul 2015

Tp link sma sunny boy 3600tl

Originally posted by silversaver
            Depends on the location of inverter and router. My inverter locate in the garage where wifi signal is really low. I could have use what sensij suggest but buy 2 of them (one for client and other as repeater for range extension) but installer supply me with powerline adapter instead.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...0285008&sr=1-1
            Hi guys I have the above with a webconnect thing built in but don't fancy a wire coming from lift so seams a good solution but I don't have a mains power in lôft will this still work ie power from inverter to tp link via Ethernet (short) wire

Any help grate lily received chris

Comment

• sensij
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2014

You won't be able to get power for the wifi device over the ethernet cable. However, installing a local power outlet by tapping the AC connection to the inverter would work, just make sure the tap is protected with low current fuses.

Comment

• Haynesexplains
                • Jul 2015

Wireless sma

You won't be able to get power for the wifi device over the ethernet cable. However, installing a local power outlet by tapping the AC connection to the inverter would work, just make sure the tap is protected with low current fuses.
                Hi just been u there and there's a double socket and one if the sockets has the TV aerial plugged in and the other is spair but it's halfway along the loft

Would I just need a longer Ethernet cable

Thanks for the help

Chris

Comment

• Haynesexplains
                  • Jul 2015

Wireless sma

Hi just been u there and there's a double socket and one if the sockets has the TV aerial plugged in and the other is spair but it's halfway along the loft

Would I just need a longer Ethernet cable

Thanks for the help

Chris

Comment

• truav8r
                    • Jul 2015

Thanks for the tip on the wireless adapter. I picked up the single port version WR700N in advance of getting my system installed with SMA inverters. Setup was a snap, and tested it using my laptop (turned off the wireless on the laptop, plug into the adapter, and I was surfing in no time). I have easy access to run the CAT5 from the Webconnect cards to the router, but this will save me that step. Slick little device for $20 that's for sure. Now I just need my installer to get here!
                    9.38kW SP tinyurl.com/ReidySunnyPortal

Comment

• Haynesexplains
                      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by truav8r
                      Thanks for the tip on the wireless adapter. I picked up the single port version WR700N in advance of getting my system installed with SMA inverters. Setup was a snap, and tested it using my laptop (turned off the wireless on the laptop, plug into the adapter, and I was surfing in no time). I have easy access to run the CAT5 from the Webconnect cards to the router, but this will save me that step. Slick little device for $20 that's for sure. Now I just need my installer to get here!
                      Hi purchased the tp link and cable spent ages trying to get if to work no joy
                      Anyone know if there is an idiots guide for client mode

Ahhhhhhh

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Haynesexplains
                        Hi purchased the tp link and cable spent ages trying to get if to work no joy
                        Anyone know if there is an idiots guide for client mode

Ahhhhhhh
                        Which TP-Link did you buy? If it is the WR710N, I can post some screenshots of the setup.

Comment

• Haynesexplains
                          • Jul 2015

Which TP-Link did you buy? If it is the WR710N, I can post some screenshots of the setup.
                          Hi thanks for the help offer

Yes w710n I purchased

Pics would be well helpfull

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Haynesexplains
                            • Jul 2015

Pretty please

Thanks

Chris in the uk where the sun rarely shines lol

Comment

• sensij
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2014

Step 1: Configure the hard wire ethernet on your computer to be DHCP. That is the default setting for most.

Step 2: After plugging in the WR710, connect it to your computer's ethernet port.

Step 3: Log in to the WR710. Default IP address is 192.168.0.254. Default user name is admin, default password is password, I think. If that isn't right, check the label on your WR710 for correct info.

Step 4: Click on Quick Setup. Follow screenshots below.

First, choose Client
                              QuickSetup1.GIF

Then, click on Survey
                              QuickSetup2.GIF

Your desired wireless network should show up in the list. If you have multiple access points, you can use the signal strength or MAC address to mac sure you pic the right one. Click Connect on the right.
                              QuickSetup3.GIF

Your network information should populate. Enter the password for your wifi network in the box near the bottom.
                              QuickSetup4.GIF

It should connect at this point. If you'd like to assign a fixed IP address, you can do that in your main router, and also in the Network menu option of the WR710.
                              Network.GIF

You can test the functionality by shutting off wifi on your computer, and prove that you still get internet access via the WR710 when you are hardwired in.

Now, you can unplug the WR710 from your computer, and plug its ethernet into the inverter, or whatever remote device you would like to connect to wifi.

Let me know if you have any questions. It has been a couple months, so there could definitely be a step I'm forgetting in there somewhere.

Comment

Working...