X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myfriendSUN
    • Sep 2014

Annual Reconciliation in which Month???

I have a 100% offset system.
    If I want to use up all my summer credit in the winter, which month would be the best to preform the Annual Reconciliation???
    Would it be March or April???
    OR in which month of the year should I expect ZERO energy transfer on my net meter???
    There is a one-time election to have the Annual Reconciliation performed in an alternate month for me.
    Otherwise the AR will be performed following the first billing period that ends on or after the last day of each calendar year.
    8.2KW 32x(PVmodule+inverter)+online monitoring
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Generally March or April.

But no one can say 100% for sure without details of your system, usage, and location.

Comment

• myfriendSUN
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
      Generally March or April.

But no one can say 100% for sure without details of your system, usage, and location.

OK so we are on the same page.
      I am going to pick March since the production start to pick up on March, according to PVWatts Calculator.

Comment

• CA_Tom
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by myfriendSUN
        I have a 100% offset system.
        If I want to use up all my summer credit in the winter, which month would be the best to preform the Annual Reconciliation???
        Would it be March or April???
        OR in which month of the year should I expect ZERO energy transfer on my net meter???
        There is a one-time election to have the Annual Reconciliation performed in an alternate month for me.
        Otherwise the AR will be performed following the first billing period that ends on or after the last day of each calendar year.
        I think that's just a way of them saying it will be immediately following the billing period that contains Dec. 31st. So it would line up mostly with the calendar year. For example if your bills are from the 8th of one month to the 7th of the next month, it'll be after your Dec.8-Jan. 7. bill.

As for which month - it doesn't really matter.
        If you choose March, you should see a credit balance for the summer, then that credit get eaten away during winter.
        If you choose Sept. you'll see statements that you "owe" money during the winter months, and then the credits during the summer will bring that back towards 0.
        So it really doesn't make a difference overall. If over a year of use you owe $400, you're really just picking when you'll pay them that $400.
        It *might* make a difference the 1st year - I'm not sure how they'll handle it if you select to have the AR be after it's been in place for 16 months.
        But after that it'll be every 12 months, so as long as you use about the same amount in Jan 2014 as you do in Jan 2015, it doesn't really matter which Jan is part of that annual reconciliation.

If you're likely to owe some amount, I'd probably select a time where I am more likely to have cash on hand.
        If you typically setup your taxes that you get a refund, possibly March or April is a good time for you)
        OTOH, if you make sure you have to write a check to the IRS each year, and you also do your IRA contributions in March/April, mid-April may be a less ideal time of year.

Comment

• myfriendSUN
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by CA_Tom
          I think that's just a way of them saying it will be immediately following the billing period that contains Dec. 31st. So it would line up mostly with the calendar year. For example if your bills are from the 8th of one month to the 7th of the next month, it'll be after your Dec.8-Jan. 7. bill.
          I agree with that.

As for which month - it doesn't really matter.
          I think it matters.

If you choose March, you should see a credit balance for the summer, then that credit get eaten away during winter.
          That's what I want to do. you will see later.

If you choose Sept. you'll see statements that you "owe" money during the winter months, and then the credits during the summer will bring that back towards 0.
          This is the problem. I don't think the bill say "owe" money. I have to pay the outstanding balance. My system was turned on 8/27/1014.
          I have to pay on my most recent bill, energy charge and delivery charge and a whole nine yard of charges.(121 kWh, $50 total)
          It's like you have an account that you cannot do overdraft. You don't have to pay only when you have enough credit.
          They don't let me carry over the remaining credit after Annual Reconciliation.
          Instead I get a refund at the Company's Avoided Charge only and it would not be able to cover for the money I pay in the winter.

So I pay FULL price for the energy in short in winter and I get a LITTLE refund for the energy in excess in summer.

My goal is try to ZERO net metering and just paying the monthly basic service charge.
          This is a no fair game.

Comment

• CA_Tom
            • Oct 2014

This is the problem. I don't think the bill say "owe" money. I have to pay the outstanding balance. My system was turned on 8/27/1014.
            I have to pay on my most recent bill, energy charge and delivery charge and a whole nine yard of charges.(121 kWh, $50 total)
            It's like you have an account that you cannot do overdraft. You don't have to pay only when you have enough credit.
            Interesting.
            That does make the month you choose a LOT more important.
            I hadn't heard of that type of net metering - thanks for explaining it.

So basically you want to choose the first month where you have net positive kwh.

Since you only get to change the AR once, can you delay making a choice until after you've seen a calendar year of production/consumption?
            Or at least delay until half-way through March so you can see that you actually will be net positive (or close to it) for March?

You can probably get a good estimate on consumption from looking at the past 2 years.
            And maybe you can get an estimate on March's production by looking at the equivalent period in fall. (assuming you have the data on how much you produced, and not just the net metering bill)
            Sun angles would be the same - but I'm not sure how different the weather would be - if you tend to get more or fewer storms or hot weather in fall vs. spring.

Good luck.

Comment

• myfriendSUN
              • Sep 2014

I did have my production number for September which would be close to the production number for March.
              And I am expecting to have credit build up in March. According to POCO's rule book I can elect a month for the AR. I am trying to elect the bill on March to perform the AR.

Comment

• thejq
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2014

I had the same question about when is the best month for installation and anniversary in this thread (http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...llation-timing). My conclusion was that it didn't matter. With net metering, you don't have to pay anything even if you owe money temporarily. I was told that at true-up (anniversary) time your consumption and generation will be re-balanced again. FWIW, I haven't had my system for more than a year, so I'm relaying what I was told, but not from experience.
                16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• myfriendSUN
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by thejq
                  I had the same question about when is the best month for installation and anniversary in this thread (http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...llation-timing). My conclusion was that it didn't matter. With net metering, you don't have to pay anything even if you owe money temporarily. I was told that at true-up (anniversary) time your consumption and generation will be re-balanced again. FWIW, I haven't had my system for more than a year, so I'm relaying what I was told, but not from experience.
                  I received the same monthly bill as before net metering. There is nowhere I can tell it's for net metering.
                  Payment is due upon receipt of this bill and late charge applies. I don't think I can owe them.
                  Different POCOs have different rules.
                  BTW did you ever owe them money and there was no late charge?
                  I did read your thread before and that's what I am expecting until I got my third month bill.
                  I consumed some energy from them and have to pay the bill.

Comment

• sensij
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

I received the same monthly bill as before net metering. There is nowhere I can tell it's for net metering.
                    Payment is due upon receipt of this bill and late charge applies. I don't think I can owe them.
                    Different POCOs have different rules.
                    BTW did you ever owe them money and there was no late charge?
                    I did read your thread before and that's what I am expecting until I got my third month bill.
                    I consumed some energy from them and have to pay the bill.
                    Yes, I think it would be a stretch to assume that thejq's net metering experience in CA would be the same as yours in NY. Our CA system based on CPUC 2827/2830 is completely unsustainable, and will be changing in a couple years with the passing of AB 327 last year. We don't know yet what our new system will look like.
                    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Bikerscum
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2014

Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure you're on net metering? It's not automatic.
                      6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• myfriendSUN
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bikerscum
                        Maybe a stupid question, but are you sure you're on net metering? It's not automatic.
                        Before installation I had to register with them and authorize my installer.
                        After installation they replaced my meter with a net meter and issued a permit to operate the system. My installer got $8200 from them ($1 per watt) as part of the total cost of my system.
                        So I am assuming I am on net metering.
                        Will find out soon since I emailed them about the Annual Reconciliation month.

Comment

• Bikerscum
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

Reason I ask is what you're describing is exactly what would happen here in CA if you installed a solar system and were NOT on net metering.
                          6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• thejq
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2014

I think you should call your POCO to make sure your net metering is enabled. I'm sure the implementation of net metering is different. But I will be surprised if you have to pay every month, since solar production varies greatly throughout the seasons. The fact that you don't even see the wording on your bill is a concern.
                            16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• control4userguy
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

!!!

Comment

Working...