New member with a question about connecting a generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a question about connecting a generator

Hello! Greetings to all! I'm just joined the forum a few days ago.

I have a grid-connected Xantrex system with battery backup. The inverter is model XW6048 and the solar charge controller is the XW-MPPT60. The inverter supplies 240V (two 120V phases) to the house and have an AC input for a generator.

I also have a small 120V generator that I use after storms (I live in Puerto Rico) when the batteries run out of charge.

According to the inverter's manual a 240V 2-phase generator is expected on the AC input. My question is: if I switch the inverter to "bypass", can I use my 1-phase generator, connected to the two AC phases of the inverter to supply power to the house, without damaging the inverter? I want is to supply power to the 120V loads with the generator and understand that any 240V load will not work when connected in this way.

When you switch the breakers to bypass (the inverter does not have a bypass switch, that's in the electrical panel) your 120V generator will only be powering HALF your breakers.

Here's the best pic I was able to find, of how a split phase breaker box works. Generally, the hot wires (2) are called Line 1 and Line 2 ( not hot 1 hot2 as the pic shows)

Getting a larger generator that produces 240V split phase, is a preferred solution,

ws0mU.jpg
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks very much for your answer! What I was thinking was to apply the generator output (120V) to both "Hot1" and "Hot2" so that all the house breakers receive power. The 240V breakers are non-critical loads and I assume will not receive power from the generator

Comment

If you rig something to join the 2 hot wires, you are really risking a failure when grid returns and somebody forgets about the jumper. Even if you build it into the transfer switch = out of sight-out of mind and someday a 240V generator is going to get hooked up. Just step up to a 8kw generator w/240 output and keep that simple. or get a step-up transformer

> According to the inverter's manual a 240V 2-phase generator is expected on the AC input.
        > My question is: if I switch the inverter to "bypass", can I use my 1-phase generator, connected
        > to the two AC phases of the inverter to supply power to the house, without damaging the inverter?
        NO. The inverter has a big heavy transformer inside, connected across L1 & L2 if you short L1-2 somewhere, something will smoke.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Definitely not a good idea then! Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
          X