X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItsFriz
    • Jun 2020

Fair enough, I've been on the horn with them a bunch but one more call to make sure all the ducks are in a row probably won't hurt. Thanks JPM

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ItsFriz
      Fair enough, I've been on the horn with them a bunch but one more call to make sure all the ducks are in a row probably won't hurt. Thanks JPM
      For whatever you found useful, you're most welcome.

Comment

• ItsFriz
        • Jun 2020

Hey mind if I bounce one more thing off you? Starting to struggle with the last details of my system and I just want to make sure all my bases are covered because I'm getting the feeling I'm running in circles. I'm trying to understand the electrical aspect of this so I can get the last few pieces I think I need. So far my situation is;

30 panels - which are connected in 3 strings of 10 panels requiring 5 grounds. These will be connected into 3 different junction boxes (4in x 4in, type unknown). I assume the junction boxes can't float in the air, and you probably don't bolt them to the roof...so do they usually attach to the rails? Any chance you have an idea who might make a good junction box that has provisions for attaching to the rails? I also have a TON of PV wire, is there anything that says you can't run from the optimizers right to the inverter using PV wire?

Comment

• azdave
          • Oct 2014

For the most part I'm pretty stubborn about having more solar than I need because I want some breathing room and intend to have a business out of my home eventually and want the extra electricity for a computer/server, but that's down the line.
          Don't know if it was mentioned yet (may not apply in your area) but grid-tie rules here prevented us from installing more capacity than we needed. They looked at our past power bills and would only approve us to co-generate that same amount or a small percentage over. My home insurance company also had an issue with a PV system that produces more than we consume. They said any residential customer over-producing by more than 25% in any given month is considered a business (because excess is sold at wholesale value). If there was a damage claim on the solar system they would deny any coverage. I changed insurance companies to fix that problem. With kids moved out we now over-produce heavily in some months (231%) is the max.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Hey mind if I bounce one more thing off you? Starting to struggle with the last details of my system and I just want to make sure all my bases are covered because I'm getting the feeling I'm running in circles. I'm trying to understand the electrical aspect of this so I can get the last few pieces I think I need. So far my situation is;

30 panels - which are connected in 3 strings of 10 panels requiring 5 grounds. These will be connected into 3 different junction boxes (4in x 4in, type unknown). I assume the junction boxes can't float in the air, and you probably don't bolt them to the roof...so do they usually attach to the rails? Any chance you have an idea who might make a good junction box that has provisions for attaching to the rails? I also have a TON of PV wire, is there anything that says you can't run from the optimizers right to the inverter using PV wire?
            Some others here are most likely better able to comment on the specifics of your electrical details. I'm experienced enough to have rewired my first house and passed inspection, designed control logic for power and process systems and designed my own string inverter system using KISS principles and the installer's help/comment on the stringing/wiring, but without a lot more details of what you have in mind, and without being there, I don't feel comfortable enough to comment on specific electrical or control matters for PV arrays without writing something that may well wind up being unsafe. On engineering or technical matters, I've always tried very hard to stick to areas of my technical competence. Being an M.E., I bet you can appreciate my opinions on such matters.

FWIW, I have 1 J-box and it's attached to the roof. I didn't specify the mfg. - I left that choice to the installer. I did specify a NEMA 4-X box, and that it be tucked up under the array out of direct sunlight, positioned so as to be readily and easily accessible for /inspection/service, but I've got ~ 12 " or so clearance between roof deck and bottom of array.
            More FWIW, I ran the whole design past the AHJ/inspector who does most of the inspections in my HOA before I went for permitting.

As I wrote in my first post to this thread, I'd just be skeptical of the answers I got until I understood them. None of us is as smart as all of us, but some of us aren't as knowledgeable as we might think, probably including me. Unvetted information from autonomous sources is free. You get what you pay for, or less.

Comment

Working...