X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James1079
    • Feb 2018

Okay well this is just kind of temporary to keep the battery stopped up until I set up the full system but in full sun I am reading 65 volts coming into the controller fromthe two panels. I guess I don't see nominal voltage in the data sheet I just assumed that they were 24 volt panels. Are all 60 cell panels only 20 volts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by James1079; 03-10-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• James1079
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor

For their MPPT controller? Regardless your panels aren't 24 volt panels. They are considered 20 volt nominal so 2 in series is a 40 volt nominal voltage which will not PROPERLY charge a 48 volt bank. 2 in series will keep your batteries from discharging below a certain point, but won't top off or equalize them. If you don't mind replacing your batteries on a regular basis , then, by all means stay with 2 in series.
      Yes I have the TriStar mppt 60 amp model

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by James1079
        Okay well this is just kind of temporary to keep the battery stopped up until I set up the full system but in full sun I am reading 65 volts coming into the controller fromthe two panels. I guess I don't see nominal voltage in the data sheet I just assumed that they were 24 volt panels. Are all 60 cell panels only 20 volts?
        Yes, they are considered 20 volt nominal. That being said there some higher wattage (300+ watts) 60 cell panels that are high enough voltage to effectively charge a 24 volt bank. You need to keep in mind that the voltage ratings and the real world voltage are two different things. In cold, clear sunny conditions your voltage can and will exceed the panel's rating but hot sunny conditions will drive their output voltage down and 60 cell panels voltage will be too low for 24 volt charging.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• James1079
          • Feb 2018

I guess Morningstar says three is optimal
          Attached Files

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

The data sheet on these panels shows the NOCT (more real world ratings) the Vmp on the 235 watt panels is 26.4 volts To fully charge a 24 volt battery you need to bring the voltage up to 28.8 volts. I'm done trying to explain to you why 60 cell panels aren't applicable for 24 volt charging.. If anybody else out there cares to add anything feel free.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• James1079
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor

The data sheet on these panels shows the NOCT (more real world ratings) the Vmp on the 235 watt panels is 26.4 volts To fully charge a 24 volt battery you need to bring the voltage up to 28.8 volts. I'm done trying to explain to you why 60 cell panels aren't applicable for 24 volt charging.. If anybody else out there cares to add anything feel free.
              Thank you that's a lot of help : )

Comment

• James1079
                • Feb 2018

trying to figure out how to make my computer, router, and TriStar mppt 60 shake hands. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I'm not very computer savvy.The router is a RT-ac66w Dual Band 3X3 802 .11 AC gigabit router Asus. I'm not scared to call MorningStar and waste their time I just thought maybe someone here would know some shortcuts it
                Last edited by James1079; 03-11-2018, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Thank you that's a lot of help : )
                  I've found the best and most effective help I get is the kind I get on my own. Some call it education. It also makes what others charitably provide easier to grasp.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Here is how I have mine "wired" :
                    TSMPPT60 ----------> [Wi-Fi router] ) ) ) ) ) 300' ) ) ) [Laptop w/wi-fi]

Your router would have a group of 4 ports, and then an isolated jack. Plug into one of the group of 4.
                    Use your laptop to establish comms to your router, make sure it is assigning a IP address to the TSMPPT60
                    post #4 shows this https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...244#post372244
                    You must read the TSMPPT60 manual and configure the switches to allow DHCP operation. Same for the router, set it to Assign DHCP info.

If you are plugging the computer into the router, you are NOT connecting wirelessly

What's your location ? Anywhere near Nor Calif ?
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• James1079
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
                      Here is how I have mine "wired" :
                      TSMPPT60 ----------> [Wi-Fi router] ) ) ) ) ) 300' ) ) ) [Laptop w/wi-fi]

Your router would have a group of 4 ports, and then an isolated jack. Plug into one of the group of 4.
                      Use your laptop to establish comms to your router, make sure it is assigning a IP address to the TSMPPT60
                      post #4 shows this https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...244#post372244
                      You must read the TSMPPT60 manual and configure the switches to allow DHCP operation. Same for the router, set it to Assign DHCP info.

If you are plugging the computer into the router, you are NOT connecting wirelessly

What's your location ? Anywhere near Nor Calif ?
                      Thanks Mike I got it working like you said the router assigns the controller an IP address and I needed to find that number and plug it into the MS viewer software

Comment

• James1079
                        • Feb 2018

Don't spend $ yet. Configure the controller to "obtain" it's address via DHCP, your Router will assign it an address :
                        ClassisDHCP_line4-.jpg
                        The morningstar is line 1, Combox line 3, classic is line 4

Morningstar log file (web view)
                        TSMPPT-60log.jpg
                        How did you get the second picture I haven't seen that in the software yet you said webview do I need internet to display the information like that?

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

The web server built into the TSMPPT produces the above chart
                          surf to http://tsmppt12345678/datalog.html (put your TS ser # instead of mine)

Live, datalog, network are the 3 pages
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• James1079
                            • Feb 2018

The web server built into the TSMPPT produces the above chart
                            surf to http://tsmppt12345678/datalog.html (put your TS ser # instead of mine)

Live, datalog, network are the 3 pages
                            Thanks again Mike so now I have it working on my laptop but when I enter the address into my Android it takes me to my router settings so maybe something In there needs to be changed to allow my Android to connect?

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

The android should see the same webpage at the same address as the laptop, if the android has connected properly to the router, If you are seeing router settings, you have logged into the Router Management panel, not a device connected to the router, Just use http://tsmppt12345678/datalog.html

Comment

• James1079
                                • Feb 2018

The android should see the same webpage at the same address as the laptop, if the android has connected properly to the router, If you are seeing router settings, you have logged into the Router Management panel, not a device connected to the router, Just use http://tsmppt12345678/datalog.html
                                I just tried that accept with my serial number and it still takes me to this page
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...