X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James1079
    • Feb 2018

Thanks Mike. A good friend of mine had just told me about the acid in plumber's flux that's why I mentioned it. I will cut and redo the wires. Yes I understand the question mark was in the title, and like I said no offense to the moderators, I hope one day that I can help to teach people also, I understand that your purpose is to help people understand solar principles. I guess sometimes that requires editing other people's words to fit the general understanding of the public? LOL. Could I get a quick advisement on string configuration? I think three in a string is my Max for this controller?

Comment

• James1079
      • Feb 2018

"Plumbers flux is ACID core "

the plumbers flux I used was just to dip the copper wire in. The sodder I used was rosin core electric solder. I guess I would have been better off just not using the extra flux?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

To size your panel strings. I need 2 numbers
        1) The Voc number from the sticker on the back of the panel
        2) the max input voltage of your controller
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• James1079
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
          To size your panel strings. I need 2 numbers
          1) The Voc number from the sticker on the back of the panel
          2) the max input voltage of your controller
          1) 37.1
          2) 150
          at four panels that comes out to 148.4 which is pretty darn close to 150. I think the true question is how much error margin does the Trina solar panel or the Morningstar 60 give me. I'm on the 43-degree latitude in Michigan and once in a blue moon we have some pretty clear cold mornings

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by James1079
            at four panels that comes out to 148.4 which is pretty darn close to 150. I think the true question is how much error margin does the Trina solar panel or the Morningstar 60 give me. I'm on the 43-degree latitude in Michigan and once in a blue moon we have some pretty clear cold mornings
            Safer to assume no voltage margin. Figure out the coldest temperature the panels will _ever_ see (weather stations usually have almanac data for this) then figure out what Voc they will produce based on the temperature coefficient (listed in the panel's data sheet.) That will give you max voltage.

Comment

• James1079
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by jflorey2
              Safer to assume no voltage margin. Figure out the coldest temperature the panels will _ever_ see (weather stations usually have almanac data for this) then figure out what Voc they will produce based on the temperature coefficient (listed in the panel's data sheet.) That will give you max voltage.
              I'm not sure what the equation is for that can you show me? My closest weather station is fox farms in Portland Michigan
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

I will say with GREAT confidence, that your 4 panels in series will FRY a controller with a 150V limit.

Your best option is 2 panels in series, parallel with the other 2 series panels, gives 70V, well under the kill voltage. and enough voltage to charge 24V bank.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• James1079
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  I will say with GREAT confidence, that your 4 panels in series will FRY a controller with a 150V limit.

Your best option is 2 panels in series, parallel with the other 2 series panels, gives 70V, well under the kill voltage. and enough voltage to charge 24V bank.
                  I have 12 panels total and a 48 volt battery Bank. I was thinking three panels in series on four strings?
                  Last edited by James1079; 03-09-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Sorry, lost count of all the panels, so yes, 3 series in a string would be under the kill voltage of the Controller. 2 in a string would be marginal to EQ a 48V bank.

Comment

• James1079
                      • Feb 2018

So two would be the most efficient? but 3 would save me some wire and breakers?

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

Being 60 cell panels their voltage isn't high enough to charge a 48 volt battery when only 2 in series. 3 in series is really your only option for a 48 volt system.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• James1079
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor
                          Being 60 cell panels their voltage isn't high enough to charge a 48 volt battery when only 2 in series. 3 in series is really your only option for a 48 volt system.
                          I have just two panels connected right now until the weather's nicer to mount the rest and it seems to be charging the battery. do I need to hook up one more

Comment

• littleharbor
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2016

Yes.

Comment

• James1079
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor
                              Yes.
                              I am watching the Morningstar training video and it mentions to reach 99% efficiency you need 48 volts in and 48 volts out

Comment

• littleharbor
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by James1079

I am watching the Morningstar training video and it mentions to reach 99% efficiency you need 48 volts in and 48 volts out
                                For their MPPT controller? Regardless your panels aren't 24 volt panels. They are considered 20 volt nominal so 2 in series is a 40 volt nominal voltage which will not PROPERLY charge a 48 volt bank. 2 in series will keep your batteries from discharging below a certain point, but won't top off or equalize them. If you don't mind replacing your batteries on a regular basis , then, by all means stay with 2 in series.
                                Last edited by littleharbor; 03-10-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...