X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hpcerttechguy
    • Jul 2015

Solar Nightmare

It seems there's so much information out there - it's really hard to see what's true and which brands are true to their ratings.
    I need some advise, PLEASE.
    First, has anyone heard of S-Energy? The only thing when I search online is that they are about 1/2 - 3/4 the price of LG and other more popular brands.
    They don't even have a US website and I can only imagine needing warranty replacement/repair.
    Also, I have a contractor telling me that you get better performance out of lower watt panels because they take less sunlight to start working.
    I looked all over, even called the Center for Sustainable Energy (California funded program) who said they haven't heard anything like that at all.
    It seems the company is upset with me getting them to 4.20/kwh but you guys are bragging about getting higher rated, name brand panels for 3.50/kwh.
    Can you guys just tell me I'm either getting ripped off or I'm not crazy?
    I need a panel upgrade and separated that out of the cost. I did not factor in any other rebates/tax credits, etc.
    Maybe my math is wrong?
    They want:
    28 S-Energy 260 panels
    28 Enphase M-215 microinverters
    for $31000.
    Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to bombard my email with better vendors if you know of them.
    I'm in East San Diego.
    Thanks in advance

Edit:
    Sorry, the site won't let me reply right now :/ I tried Chrome and IE...
    Clarification: System Total: 7.280 kw (STS-DC)

I'm getting bids in writing this week. I'm over trusting anyone. I'm trying Baker, Solaire and a couple smaller independent companies as well.
    I tried SolarCity but they did not want to install it on my roof saying the pitch is too steep :/
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hpcerttechguy
    It seems there's so much information out there - it's really hard to see what's true and which brands are true to their ratings.
    First, has anyone heard of S-Energy? The only thing when I search online is that they are about 1/2 - 3/4 the price of LG and other more popular brands.
    They don't even have a US website and I can only imagine needing warranty replacement/repair.
    Also, I have a contractor telling me that you get better performance out of lower watt panels because they take less sunlight to start working.
    I looked all over, even called the Center for Sustainable Energy (California funded program) who said they haven't heard anything like that at all.
    It seems the company is upset with me getting them to 4.20/kwh but you guys are bragging about getting higher rated, name brand panels for 3.50/kwh.
    I need a panel upgrade and separated that out of the cost. I did not factor in any other rebates/tax credits, etc.
    Maybe my math is wrong?
    They want:
    28 S-Energy 260 panels
    for $31000.
    Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to bombard my email with better vendors if you know of them.
    I'm in East San Diego.
    Thanks in advance
    What are your other bids like?

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

Cost comparisons here are generally in dollars per DC watt (panel wattage), not per kWh.

Comment

• solar pete
        Administrator
        • May 2014

Maybe my math is wrong?
        They want:
        28 S-Energy 260 panels
        for $31000.
        I'm in East San Diego.
        Thanks in advance
        Howdy hpcerttechguy and welcome to the greatest solar forum in the world.

If you cant find any info on those panels (I have never heard of them) and they dont have a US based website, I would not even consider buying them. I think your maths and or your terminology might be wrong.

I would suggest you make use of our site sponsor and go to www.solarreviews.com and enter your zip code to see who services your area and find ones with many reviews and a good online reputation and get a few more quotes. It certainly cant hurt in your case. Keep reading and asking questions and you should end up with a favorable result, good luck

Comment

• LafLASolar
          Banned
          • Jul 2015

Maybe my math is wrong?
          They want:
          28 S-Energy 260 panels
          for $31000.
          I'm in East San Diego.
          Thanks in advance

Edit:

I'm getting bids in writing this week. I'm over trusting anyone. I'm trying Baker, Solaire and a couple smaller independent companies as well.
          I tried SolarCity but they did not want to install it on my roof saying the pitch is too steep :/
          I can get those S-Energy panels and Enphase M250, installed for about less than $3.00/watt(not showing you my cards). Please do not pay $4.20/watt

Comment

• LafLASolar
            Banned
            • Jul 2015

Maybe my math is wrong?
            They want:
            28 S-Energy 260 panels
            for $31000.
            I'm in East San Diego.
            Thanks in advance

Edit:

$4.25/watt is hands down, expetive what is this, 2008?
            Last edited by solar pete; 07-28-2015, 11:10 PM. Reason: poor choice of word

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by LafLASolar
              $4.25/watt is hands down, expetive what is this, 2008?
              No that is a standard price for people that live (like the OP does) in CA which unfortunately has very high install costs lately.

Comment

• LafLASolar
                Banned
                • Jul 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                No that is a standard price for people that live (like the OP does) in CA which unfortunately has very high install costs lately.
                WOW!!! I need to open up shop in CA!

Comment

• hpcerttechguy
                  • Jul 2015

More quotes

I had a couple verbal but I'm waiting until they come in writing.
                  I think some of these companies prey on customers who don't know average installation prices.
                  They ask what your electric bill is and then try to end up with a payment to match. I'm sure being in a nicer house doesn't help :/

First in writing quote:
                  24 LG 305W panels for a 7.32KW system for $26,995

I'll keep updating the thread as I get more quotes but even the verbals have been dramatically lower.

Originally posted by Ian S
                  What are your other bids like?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Only for Sunpower systems. Lots of good stuff is readily available from reputable vendors for~~ =< $3.50/Watt +/- a bit. Last contract I saw was about $3.25/Watt. If someone says $4.00+/Watt is the best they can do in CA, they're uninformed and making, IMO, an incorrect statement that can easily be disproven in any number of ways.

Comment

• hpcerttechguy
                      • Jul 2015

Quotes

Well the numbers are in...
                      Worth noting is that I do have a somewhat steep roof. I'm wondering if that helped the prices stay higher than expected. Our neighbors in the same model had solar installed - they looked like mountain climbers going up and down with a rope anchored to the top of the roof. Also, SDG&E (local utility co) is changing up the rules on solar customers to make it less financially advantageous to 'go solar'. There's no date other than 'in the next several months'. It's been taking them a couple months just to come out and inspect, approve panel upgrades and solar systems.
                      Another big factor is warranty. Most installers will just let you know of the factory warranty, some will sell you an extended one.

Anyways -
                      Here are the quotes I got, these are the final numbers, most started at a much higher price point before negotiating.

McWire Electric (Original)
                      Panels: S-Energy 260, 28: 7.28 kw
                      Inverter: Micro, Enphase 215
                      $37400
                      Warranty: 30 years on all parts, labor included

Baker Electric:
                      Panels: LG 305, 26: 7.94kw $34,495
                      or LG 305, 24: 7.33kw $29,865
                      or
                      Panels: SunPower 345, 23: $38,294
                      Inverter: Central, P320 Monitoring with Optimizers
                      Warranty: Upgraded to 25 after initially offering factory only

HomeSolar:
                      Panels: Panels: LG 305, 24: 7.33 $26995
                      Inverter: Micro, Enphase
                      Warranty: Manufacturer only
                      *Only company who said not to worry about a panel upgrade (usually $2K). Also, only non-electrician/established company I got a quote from.

Solaire:
                      Panels: LG 315, 24: $38K
                      or
                      Panels: SunPower, 7.23 kw $42,294
                      Inverter: SunPower, Central
                      Warranty: Factory only
                      *Notes: Guy was really odd, I kind of quit paying attention and taking notes. Company also required positive FB/Yelp/FB feedback for discount.
                      *They seemed to sell themselves as a very thorough installer, painting conduit and making the install clean. Also offered an ipad mini the next day if I would reconsider :/

McWire Electric (Final)
                      Panels: LG 305, 24: $32000
                      Inverter: Micro, Enphase 250
                      Warranty: 30 years on all parts, labor included

I ended up going with McWire, they said they'll keep replacing everything that is out of spec or any inverter that blows out for 30 years. They are also the most local for me. There are independent companies (and in most case people) that offer installs for lower prices. This is a huge investment and I'd like to know I can drive to an office and request repair, etc. Is it worth another $4-6K? I hope so
                      It seems like the inverters blow out every 8-12 years. While it seems there are rebuilt ones readily available for a shade of the original purchase price the system is down unless you have microinverters (which you would just have 1/24th less power until replaced). Also worth checking out is price of warranty repair/testing/shipping/installing. I would have liked to go with SunPower but I have a huge roof and don't care about space. I also figured when the LGs wear out I'll have the infrastructure in place to swap them out with cheap, efficient, amazing (year of) 2045 new solar panels

Comment

Working...