X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from San Diego

Hi, Guys

I am from San Diego, considering to install a 3-4kw grid-tie solar system at home, so I am here to learn as much as I can.

Also would like to hear from the owners of grid-tie home solar systems, sharing your experiences.
    BTW, my home service is from SDG&E.

Thanks

David

Me Too

Hi David

I am in San Diego too and am strongly considering solar for my mom's house in La Mesa.

I have noticed a couple of guys on the forum in our area have recently had jobs done. It looks like they found great values. Apparently they worked collaboratively in sharing their research. You and I could probably do the same and also benefit from their work.

In what part of town are you?

Comment

Hi there David. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Comment

I am from Rancho Penasquitos

BTW, I found a good home grid-tie solar system experience-sharing
        presentation at
        http://www.uchug.org/Presentations/G...esentation.pdf

sharing his solar story, located at Escondido, made on Aug 2013,
        with 4 parts:
        =======================================
        Part 1
        • Understanding your daily home electrical usage and what it costs
        • How to read you local (SDG&E) electric bill
        • Using the SDGE website to view and understand you energy use
        Part 2
        • How a home solar panel system works
        • Key terms used in understanding solar electric systems
        • How you can reduce your electricity costs by installing a solar system
        Part 3
        We will use as a case study the solar system that I have recently completed at my home in
        Escondido. We will:
        • See my installed system
        • See, graphicly, how solar impacted our billable power usage
        Part 4
        • see what else you can do to reduce your use-Lighting examples
        • get suggested websites with educational, and technical information about solar, products, and installers
        ============================================

Originally posted by albert436 View Post
        Hi David

I am in San Diego too and am strongly considering solar for my mom's house in La Mesa.

I have noticed a couple of guys on the forum in our area have recently had jobs done. It looks like they found great values. Apparently they worked collaboratively in sharing their research. You and I could probably do the same and also benefit from their work.

Comment

Thanks David. I'll take a look at that, it is taking forever to download for some reason.

John
          San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by david44 View Post

presentation at

with 4 parts:
            Part 1
            Part 2
            Part 3
            We will use as a case study the solar system that I have recently completed at my home in
            Escondido. We will:
            Part 4
            • get suggested websites with educational, and technical information about solar, products, and installers
            Thank you so much for linking this PDF. I too am from San Diego (Chula Vista) and am in the research stage before buying.

Comment

Hi David

Albert,

Is there a way you could link to the posts you are referring too, so I can read over them as well? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by david44 View Post

presentation at

with 4 parts:
                Part 1
                Part 2
                Part 3
                Escondido. We will:
                Part 4
                That is a very nice presentation. I wish I could do as well.
                A couple of comments:

1.) The chart on p.15 is actually from SDG & E and was an ESTIMATE done before the actual rate increase of 09/01/2013 was finalized. The vendor mentioned in the presentation lifted it from SDG & E. The actual increase, while still pretty bad was lower than that table showed.
                2.) The vendor the author used is one I also had quote my system. I know them well and have worked with them on quite a few projects in my HOA. I bought elsewhere with no hard feelings on either side. They're reputable and reliable. My personal experience with them and in my capacity with my HOA is that they are usually about 10-15% higher than other equally reputable vendors.
                3.) The Author of the piece bought Sunpower. It's a free country, and S.P's good stuff. but looking at the photos, it doesn't look cramped for space. The author might possibly have gotten the same approx. yearly performance with other, equally reliable panels for probably about a buck a Watt less before incentives.

FWIW, To repeat, I think this is a very good presentation. I also think it would be a lot better if it was less of a commercial for a particular vendor and a particular manufacturer, both reputable and both, IMO, overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by AquaLoco View Post
                  Albert,

Is there a way you could link to the posts you are referring too, so I can read over them as well? Thank you.
                  I could find them later, but in the meantime you could check out posts by "vasans", he is one of them, and the other is is is lemme think for a sec here . . . . . Mr. vasans had an install that was somewhere around $3.75/kW installed I believe on his roof. That cost was before rebates, credits, etc.

Just got home from a 13 hour day at work, my mind isn't working quite straight. It's on the tip of my tongue . . .

Anyway, you'll find it, you could do a search with "San Diego".

Comment

I could find them later, but in the meantime you could check out posts by "vasans", he is one of them, and the other is is is lemme think for a sec here . . . . . Mr. vasans had an install that was somewhere around $3.75/kW installed I believe on his roof. That cost was before rebates, credits, etc.

Just got home from a 13 hour day at work, my mind isn't working quite straight. It's on the tip of my tongue . . .

Anyway, you'll find it, you could do a search with "San Diego".
                    Thank you so much Albert.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this info. It is very helpful!!!

Hello. I wanted to thank you for this great information. Very Helpful.

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                      That is a very nice presentation. I wish I could do as well.
                      A couple of comments:

1.) The chart on p.15 is actually from SDG & E and was an ESTIMATE done before the actual rate increase of 09/01/2013 was finalized. The vendor mentioned in the presentation lifted it from SDG & E. The actual increase, while still pretty bad was lower than that table showed.
                      2.) The vendor the author used is one I also had quote my system. I know them well and have worked with them on quite a few projects in my HOA. I bought elsewhere with no hard feelings on either side. They're reputable and reliable. My personal experience with them and in my capacity with my HOA is that they are usually about 10-15% higher than other equally reputable vendors.
                      3.) The Author of the piece bought Sunpower. It's a free country, and S.P's good stuff. but looking at the photos, it doesn't look cramped for space. The author might possibly have gotten the same approx. yearly performance with other, equally reliable panels for probably about a buck a Watt less before incentives.

FWIW, To repeat, I think this is a very good presentation. I also think it would be a lot better if it was less of a commercial for a particular vendor and a particular manufacturer, both reputable and both, IMO, overpriced.

Comment

Yes there are some very kind helpful people here which make this site great.

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego View Post
                          Hello. I wanted to thank you for this great information. Very Helpful.
                          You're Welcome. Good luck. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

And,

dontfroge983488a.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X