X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello from San Diego

    Hi, Guys

    I am from San Diego, considering to install a 3-4kw grid-tie solar system at home, so I am here to learn as much as I can.

    Also would like to hear from the owners of grid-tie home solar systems, sharing your experiences.
    BTW, my home service is from SDG&E.

    Thanks

    David

  • #2
    Me Too

    Hi David

    I am in San Diego too and am strongly considering solar for my mom's house in La Mesa.

    I have noticed a couple of guys on the forum in our area have recently had jobs done. It looks like they found great values. Apparently they worked collaboratively in sharing their research. You and I could probably do the same and also benefit from their work.

    In what part of town are you?

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi there David. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

      Comment


      • #4
        I am from Rancho Penasquitos

        BTW, I found a good home grid-tie solar system experience-sharing
        presentation at
        http://www.uchug.org/Presentations/G...esentation.pdf

        sharing his solar story, located at Escondido, made on Aug 2013,
        with 4 parts:
        =======================================
        Part 1
        • Understanding your daily home electrical usage and what it costs
        • How to read you local (SDG&E) electric bill
        • Using the SDGE website to view and understand you energy use
        Part 2
        • How a home solar panel system works
        • Key terms used in understanding solar electric systems
        • How you can reduce your electricity costs by installing a solar system
        Part 3
        We will use as a case study the solar system that I have recently completed at my home in
        Escondido. We will:
        • See my installed system
        • See, graphicly, how solar impacted our billable power usage
        Part 4
        • see what else you can do to reduce your use-Lighting examples
        • get suggested websites with educational, and technical information about solar, products, and installers
        ============================================

        Originally posted by albert436 View Post
        Hi David

        I am in San Diego too and am strongly considering solar for my mom's house in La Mesa.

        I have noticed a couple of guys on the forum in our area have recently had jobs done. It looks like they found great values. Apparently they worked collaboratively in sharing their research. You and I could probably do the same and also benefit from their work.

        In what part of town are you?

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks David. I'll take a look at that, it is taking forever to download for some reason.

          John
          San Diego

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by david44 View Post
            I am from Rancho Penasquitos

            BTW, I found a good home grid-tie solar system experience-sharing
            presentation at
            http://www.uchug.org/Presentations/G...esentation.pdf

            sharing his solar story, located at Escondido, made on Aug 2013,
            with 4 parts:
            =======================================
            Part 1
            • Understanding your daily home electrical usage and what it costs
            • How to read you local (SDG&E) electric bill
            • Using the SDGE website to view and understand you energy use
            Part 2
            • How a home solar panel system works
            • Key terms used in understanding solar electric systems
            • How you can reduce your electricity costs by installing a solar system
            Part 3
            We will use as a case study the solar system that I have recently completed at my home in
            Escondido. We will:
            • See my installed system
            • See, graphicly, how solar impacted our billable power usage
            Part 4
            • see what else you can do to reduce your use-Lighting examples
            • get suggested websites with educational, and technical information about solar, products, and installers
            ============================================
            Thank you so much for linking this PDF. I too am from San Diego (Chula Vista) and am in the research stage before buying.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by albert436 View Post
              Hi David

              I am in San Diego too and am strongly considering solar for my mom's house in La Mesa.

              I have noticed a couple of guys on the forum in our area have recently had jobs done. It looks like they found great values. Apparently they worked collaboratively in sharing their research. You and I could probably do the same and also benefit from their work.

              In what part of town are you?

              Albert,

              Is there a way you could link to the posts you are referring too, so I can read over them as well? Thank you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by david44 View Post
                I am from Rancho Penasquitos

                BTW, I found a good home grid-tie solar system experience-sharing
                presentation at
                http://www.uchug.org/Presentations/G...esentation.pdf

                sharing his solar story, located at Escondido, made on Aug 2013,
                with 4 parts:
                =======================================
                Part 1
                • Understanding your daily home electrical usage and what it costs
                • How to read you local (SDG&E) electric bill
                • Using the SDGE website to view and understand you energy use
                Part 2
                • How a home solar panel system works
                • Key terms used in understanding solar electric systems
                • How you can reduce your electricity costs by installing a solar system
                Part 3
                We will use as a case study the solar system that I have recently completed at my home in
                Escondido. We will:
                • See my installed system
                • See, graphicly, how solar impacted our billable power usage
                Part 4
                • see what else you can do to reduce your use-Lighting examples
                • get suggested websites with educational, and technical information about solar, products, and installers
                ============================================
                That is a very nice presentation. I wish I could do as well.
                A couple of comments:

                1.) The chart on p.15 is actually from SDG & E and was an [B][I][U]ESTIMATE[/U][/I][/B] done [U]before[/U] the [U]actual[/U] rate increase of 09/01/2013 was finalized. The vendor mentioned in the presentation lifted it from SDG & E. The actual increase, while still pretty bad was lower than that table showed.
                2.) The vendor the author used is one I also had quote my system. I know them well and have worked with them on quite a few projects in my HOA. I bought elsewhere with no hard feelings on either side. They're reputable and reliable. My personal experience with them and in my capacity with my HOA is that they are usually about 10-15% higher than other equally reputable vendors.
                3.) The Author of the piece bought Sunpower. It's a free country, and S.P's good stuff. but looking at the photos, it doesn't look cramped for space. The author might possibly have gotten the same approx. yearly performance with other, equally reliable panels for probably about a buck a Watt less before incentives.

                FWIW, To repeat, I think this is a [U]very[/U] good presentation. I also think it would be a lot better if it was less of a commercial for a particular vendor and a particular manufacturer, both reputable and both, IMO, overpriced.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AquaLoco View Post
                  Albert,

                  Is there a way you could link to the posts you are referring too, so I can read over them as well? Thank you.
                  I could find them later, but in the meantime you could check out posts by "vasans", he is one of them, and the other is is is lemme think for a sec here . . . . . Mr. vasans had an install that was somewhere around $3.75/kW installed I believe on his roof. That cost was before rebates, credits, etc.

                  Just got home from a 13 hour day at work, my mind isn't working quite straight. It's on the tip of my tongue . . .

                  Anyway, you'll find it, you could do a search with "San Diego".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by albert436 View Post
                    I could find them later, but in the meantime you could check out posts by "vasans", he is one of them, and the other is is is lemme think for a sec here . . . . . Mr. vasans had an install that was somewhere around $3.75/kW installed I believe on his roof. That cost was before rebates, credits, etc.

                    Just got home from a 13 hour day at work, my mind isn't working quite straight. It's on the tip of my tongue . . .

                    Anyway, you'll find it, you could do a search with "San Diego".
                    Thank you so much Albert.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you for sharing this info. It is very helpful!!!

                      Hello. I wanted to thank you for this great information. Very Helpful.

                      Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                      That is a very nice presentation. I wish I could do as well.
                      A couple of comments:

                      1.) The chart on p.15 is actually from SDG & E and was an [B][I][U]ESTIMATE[/U][/I][/B] done [U]before[/U] the [U]actual[/U] rate increase of 09/01/2013 was finalized. The vendor mentioned in the presentation lifted it from SDG & E. The actual increase, while still pretty bad was lower than that table showed.
                      2.) The vendor the author used is one I also had quote my system. I know them well and have worked with them on quite a few projects in my HOA. I bought elsewhere with no hard feelings on either side. They're reputable and reliable. My personal experience with them and in my capacity with my HOA is that they are usually about 10-15% higher than other equally reputable vendors.
                      3.) The Author of the piece bought Sunpower. It's a free country, and S.P's good stuff. but looking at the photos, it doesn't look cramped for space. The author might possibly have gotten the same approx. yearly performance with other, equally reliable panels for probably about a buck a Watt less before incentives.

                      FWIW, To repeat, I think this is a [U]very[/U] good presentation. I also think it would be a lot better if it was less of a commercial for a particular vendor and a particular manufacturer, both reputable and both, IMO, overpriced.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yes there are some very kind helpful people here which make this site great.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by San Diego View Post
                          Hello. I wanted to thank you for this great information. Very Helpful.
                          You're Welcome. Good luck. Caveat Emptor.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And,

                            dontfroge983488a.jpg

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X