X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by M j hodgson
    I have got 4 panels now needing new tedlar backing have bought tedlar with insulted backing how do I put it on please Michael
    The insulated backing will cause the cell operating temp. to increase. That will decrease a panel's output.

Do not use any insulating material on a PV panel.

What you bought is not a good idea to use. Do not use it for panel backing.

Do not use Tedlar with insulted backing. You will not only decrease the array's output, but if the insulation's effect is great enough, you may harm the panels or at least decrease their service life by increasing the cell/panel operating temp.

Also, whatever you use, get it tight to the back of the panel. Not doing so will leave an air gap that will also act as an insulating layer behind the panel, the effect of which is roughly the same as the effect of using single vs. double glazed windows on the heat loss of a window assembly. It will increase the panel temp.

For that matter, why do you need to replace the backing at all ? What happened that makes that necessary. Seems unusual. Just curious.

Also, this may be better handled in a new thread.

Be careful.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 12-22-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by M j hodgson
      I have got 4 panels now needing new tedlar backing have bought tedlar with insulted backing how do I put it on please Michael
      You use what is called a vacuum laminater. Lay the panel face down, a sheet of EVA adhesive, and then your tedlar film, squeegee out all wrinkles, and start the lamination cycle. it will pull a vacuum, start the heating, and in 30 min, be done. No way that i know of to do it by hand.

Read this post and the links for how to DIY.
      Do you really want to build your own solar panels? Discuss, share ideas, and get questions answered in this DIY solar panel forum.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• M j hodgson
        • Dec 2018

In view of my last post bought tedlar sheeting with eva to back four panels do I put eva to the panel first or tedlar side thanks still on learn curve.

Comment

Working...