X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by einsvanian
    I am trying to let people know that battery banks can be cheaper and can last over 15 years. Right now I am building one that is 3000ah which will power my home for the whole night for $10k. I'm using the same type of batteries I used in my 600ah bank for the past 6 years. I don't use lead acid batteries or solar batteries. I will give my battery bank 15 years before I have to replace it.
    Thanks for that, now we know you are full of crap.
    Last edited by Sunking; 07-08-2016, 11:16 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

MPPT does extend the life of a battery bank. It does so many things behind the scenes that it is not worth my time trying to explain it to someone who doesn't understand it. You need to do your research into MPPT before opening your mouth..
      LOL and thank you. How many years did it take for you to be so stupid?
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

I am a certified electrician and electronics technician.
        Now we know you are a liar. There is no such thing as a certified electrician. What ever technician certificates you may or may not hold are worthless pieces of paper.

To be an Electrician requires a License. If you were a Sparky, you would know that.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
          Now we know you are a liar. There is no such thing as a certified electrician.
          May I direct you to http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/electricaltrade.html which says

Electrician Certification Program
          Existing law requires that persons performing work as electrician under a C-10 licensed contractor be certified..."

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

The whole context of the law is :
            Existing law requires that persons performing work as electrician under a C-10 licensed contractor be certified pursuant to certification standards established by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. “Electricians” is defined as all persons who engage in the connection of electrical devices for electrical contractors licensed pursuant to Section 7058 of the Business and Profession Code, specifically, contractors classified as electrical contractors in the Contractors State License Board Rules and Regulations [Labor Code § 108 (c)].
            In english it says "If a C-10 contractor does not hire a licensed electrical contractor, he can put his C-10 lic on the line and hire a person who is merely "certified"..

But Certified cannot work a job by themselves, they have to work under a Licensed contractor who is supposed to supervise them.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DanKegel
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
              The whole context of the law is :
              In english it says "If a C-10 contractor does not hire a licensed electrical contractor, he can put his C-10 lic on the line and hire a person who is merely "certified"..
              But Certified cannot work a job by themselves, they have to work under a Licensed contractor who is supposed to supervise them.
              In the interest of civility and accuracy, though, do you agree that it was incorrect for anyone to claim there's not such thing as a certified electrician?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanKegel

In the interest of civility and accuracy, though, do you agree that it was incorrect for anyone to claim there's not such thing as a certified electrician?
                Screw civility. At this point, seems more of a legal question than one of politeness/civility. If so, and if I had any remaining concerns about accuracy, I'd consult an attorney knowledgeable in such areas for a legal opinion about the meaning of the section of the legal code as quoted, and call it done/stick a fork in it.

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                  Screw civility. At this point, seems more of a legal question than one of politeness/civility. If so, and if I had any remaining concerns about accuracy, I'd consult an attorney knowledgeable in such areas for a legal opinion about the meaning of the section of the legal code as quoted, and call it done/stick a fork in it.
                  Comic sans or no, saying "screw civility" is probably not good for the tone of the board.

All I'm saying, is it sure looks like you can get certified as an electrician in California, and there are even jobs advertised for certified electricians ( http://www.indeed.com/q-Certified-El...rnia-jobs.html ). I think SK owes the OP an apology, in the interest of civility.

I'm not saying SK should back down -- just saying it's good form to acknowledge it when you say something factually wrong (e.g. "There is no such thing as a certified electrician"). But I understand that acknowledging one's misstatements might not fit in with the scorched-earth style of debate popular with some here.
                  Last edited by DanKegel; 07-09-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

This is so annoying, but I'm not going to look up "Section 7058" to see exactly who is what. And that will vary from state to state.

The point is Certified is not the same as being Licensed, which is a higher standard.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Comic sans or no, saying "screw civility" is probably not good for the tone of the board.

All I'm saying, is it sure looks like you can get certified as an electrician in California, and there are even jobs advertised for certified electricians ( http://www.indeed.com/q-Certified-El...rnia-jobs.html ). I think SK owes the OP an apology, in the interest of civility.
                      As usual, take what you want, or in this case, lighten up and appreciate the attempt at some ironic humor. Scrap the rest. (or put it where the sun don't shine ).

Comment

• Raul
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2015

I was curious if the OP would like to share the recipe of that mighty battery that can be guaranteed for 15 years ...

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Raul
                          I was curious if the OP would like to share the recipe of that mighty battery that can be guaranteed for 15 years ...
                          My guess is that it would have to be Lithium based chemistry or the OP would not be able to claim a discharge down to 20%. Also since a cooling system was mentioned again Lithium chemistry comes to mind.

As for lasting 15 years. Well the jury is still out on that matter.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Comic sans is our way of being sarcastic. Even I have made statements that could be considered demeaning but I was trying to be funny.

I don't care much for being politically correct.

Comment

• DanKegel
                              DanKegel commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nor I. But I don't think being civil equates to political correctness.
                          • jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Raul
                            I am guessing it contains lithium, iron and phosphorous . . . .

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
                              I am guessing it contains lithium, iron and phosphorous . . . .
                              Unless it is using the new "flow" liquid battery chemistry. Although I have not seen any solid life time stated for that tech. But who knows maybe the new mousetrap is just around the corner.

Comment

Working...