X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmmtnman
    • Jan 2012

Relay

Originally posted by Mike90250
    Make sure the relay can handle the DC amps and volts, without burning up or welding the contacts. AC devices used in DC circuits don't last long.

This is what I bought. Looks like it should be up to the task. Bought a spare too. Hope it works..

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Add the socket, retention clip, and a "inductive kickback" diode, and you should be OK.

A relay coil without a anti-kickback diode, is also called an automotive ignition coil

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sfblackrobe
        • May 2012

I'm late in replying to this thread. But this may be helpful to some.

We've got two wells with Grundfos 6SQF-2 and -3. We built our own controller to use solar panel DC (direct, no batteries, no inverter) when the sun is out and producing enough power to drive the pumps. It switches to AC grid when there's no sun and we need water. We've also got a timer as part of the system. We're using the Irritrol pccontrol for irrigation and it has a "landscape lighting" feature, so to go to solar power we need two things: 1) it's got to be in the time range we've set; 2) there's got to be enough voltage on a single panel (now set for 38 VDC) to insure enough power on the panel arrays (3 and 4 panels respectively).

It's working fine. We can pump 5,000 gal/day when needed.

Comment

• Texas Wellman
          • Apr 2013

The pump/motor doesn't care what the input power is as long as it's 30-300VDC or 90-230 VAC. You don't need the interface box and you can run it just like a regular well pump or even direct solar (I don't recommend wiring direct).

Originally posted by kmmtnman
          Hello,

I'm new to blogging, but have been developing my 5 acres of paradise in the mountains for several years.
          When we bought the property it had a 240v well pump but the down pipe was shot. We replaced the pump with a 6 SQF-2 and down pipe w schedule 120pvc and stainless connectors. We have been running the well pump off of generators with no controller, but I now want to run it direct off of a 790w 50vdc array. I want to put a timer on it so it comes on a couple hours a day to top off the 2.6k gal tank uphill and the overflow waters the garden. Has anyone wired an SQF pump dc without the Grundfos controller? I've been doing with ac without any problems. The controller is 300 bucks and really doesn't do much for you except allow for a float switch, which I don't want anyway. BTW there is no power for 20 miles

Thanks,

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Mpp

Originally posted by Texas Wellman
            The pump/motor doesn't care what the input power is as long as it's 30-300VDC or 90-230 VAC. You don't need the interface box and you can run it just like a regular well pump or even direct solar (I don't recommend wiring direct).
            If that pump does incorporate an MPP function, the voltage from the solar array
            will be fairly constant while it runs over the day, at the Vmp of the panels. This
            doesn't change a lot over varying sun, if there is no partial shading. If the voltage
            varies widely, an MPP controller would likely increase efficiency & power. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Texas Wellman
              • Apr 2013

MPPT is built into the grundfos.

Originally posted by bcroe
              If that pump does incorporate an MPP function, the voltage from the solar array
              will be fairly constant while it runs over the day, at the Vmp of the panels. This
              doesn't change a lot over varying sun, if there is no partial shading. If the voltage
              varies widely, an MPP controller would likely increase efficiency & power. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...