Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well pump and req'd accessories

Hey,

I have a friend who wants to put in a solar powered backup in case his power goes out so he can run his well. I was thinking of putting in enough batteries to start and run the thing (at 21 volts and 9.8 max amps), and am wondering what kind of set up would be most cost effective? I was thinking a few solar panels (4 panels for around 800 watts) and then just running a charge controller and a battery bank that would tie directly into the pump's electric system. I would also put in a DC disconnect and mounting brackets for all of the batteries to be at spec for NEIS, but is there anything else anyone can think of that I would need to make it work? The panels would charge the batteries as needed all day, and because the pump doesn't stay on all the time I am hoping the battery life will do for this application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

a 21V 9.8a pump is very oddd.

Sure it's not a 210V AC, 9.8 amps ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

oops

Yep, you're right, 210 V AC, which means I need an inverter and an AC disconnect too.

Comment

2 Kw AC motor is going to be very expensive to run on solar.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

That's what I thought. Somewhere in the 10,000 dollar range, no?

Comment

You need to find out first:

Required LIFT of the water
            Required GPM
            Required run time per day.

This will be a LOT easier if pumping to an elevated tank, and would be very expensive if he has a pressure tank, where the pump cycles ON OFF while water is being used.

Maybe a $600, 5,500W genset is the better way to manage this for short emergencies, solar, batteries and inverter to run a pump this size is going to VERY expensive.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

thanks

Although I was hoping to do a solar installation, the genset is definitely the way to go. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, and I am sure my friend would pass along his thanks as well.

Comment

It might not be the case, but I am planning this for the near future:

- A "Rule 1500" 12v/5A (marine bilge pump) * or an alternate model**
                - one 130W or 200W PV panel
                - controller to lower the panel to 12v (might choose an 24v pump)

The pump will operate during the day and rest at night, that's why I didn't add batteries to my plan...

In my case the height difference between the river and the artificial lake is only 2m. I guess these pumps (Rule models) flow a good amount of water but are supposed to have a lower column of water on the exit... the Shurflo models are better for higher height differences...

__________________________________________________ ___________
                - low pressure, high flow -
                02.jpg
                *Rule pump specs:
                Flow Rate: 1500 (gph) or 5678 (lph)
                Port Type 1 1/8" (28mm) Hose barb
                Voltage 12 or 24 (Vdc)

__________________________________________________ ___________
                - higher pressure, lower flow -
                extreme_series_large1(x9gqb4).jpg
                **Alternate pump: Shurflo 12v/9A - Specs:
                Name : Shurflo Extreme Smart Sensor 4.0
                Model NumbersOEM/Aftermarket : 4901-0201, 4901-0211
                Voltage : 12 VDC
                Dimensions Inches/Millimeters : 8.3" x 5.3" x 5.0" [210x136x127mm]
                Flow Rate GPM/LPM : 4.0 GPM (240gph) [15.1 LPM] (60.4LPH)
                Amps (Max.) : 9
                Shut-Off Pressure : 50 PSI [3.4 BAR]

Rod - Brazil

Comment

where to get the genset?

So an earlier post mentioned getting a genset, and so I wondering where I can find one for that amount? Thanks in advance!

edit: so I googled 5500w genset and found a few. Does anyone have a brand recommendation?

Comment

Well, this is for emergency (4 days a year? ) use, not daily, correct ?

A google search for generator sales turns up a boatload of sites, with many choices of generators in the 5,000w ballpark.

There is so much variation between needs, it's hard to guess what's right for your use.

Comment

Genset

Originally posted by jameschristian View Post
                      So an earlier post mentioned getting a genset, and so I wondering where I can find one for that amount? Thanks in advance!

edit: so I googled 5500w genset and found a few. Does anyone have a brand recommendation?
                      If you are mechanically inclined, you can get an older onan out of a motorhome. They are great generators. I have 3 of them. The twins generally run at lower rpm (1800 vs. 3600) than the disposable units available today. There is a blog called smok stak where you can get a lot of info. With a little patience you can find them cheap on ebay or craigslist or your local wrecking yard.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
                      If you want a new dependable generator, buy a Honda. But they are expensive.

Comment

Yep, just when the power goes out. Thanks for searching, I'll just go with a good name brand.

Comment

Working...
                        X