6w aireator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6w aireator

Hey guys, my pond doesnt get much sun in the winter but about 6 feet away is a tall pole that gets direct sun most of the time. I am in CT. I want to use my pond aireator to help keep a small hole open in the ice most of the time. Is it possible to do this with some kind of solar and battery kit? I know it would probably be cheaper to just run a wire but if it can be done for my small little device with solar I'd rather do it that way so I don't have to trench in a wire.

Is the aerator 6 watts or panel 6-feet up. You got e a little confused.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

It is 6w. I think the pole is like 8 ft tall

Comment

Originally posted by pondking View Post
        It is 6w. I think the pole is like 8 ft tall
        With a 6 watt load running 24 hours a day you will need a 12v battery around 60Ah, 150 watt panel and a 15amp PWM charge controller. You did not say if the 6 watt load was AC or DC so if AC you will need a 100 watt inverter

Comment

Thanks for the spec info, that's what I need because I don't have the knowledge to know what to buy on my own. Is it safe to use a solar panel with a pond or is there much risk of turning myself into Frankenstein? I also wonder do I need some kind of special housing to keep the battery outside and will the battery be huge like 50+ lbs?

Comment

Thanks for the spec info, that's what I need because I don't have the knowledge to know what to buy on my own. Is it safe to use a solar panel with a pond or is there much risk of turning myself into Frankenstein? I also wonder do I need some kind of special housing to keep the battery outside and will the battery be huge like 50+ lbs?
            The battery should be in some type of weather proof box. They sell those boxes on Amazon or at a local boat or auto shop. The battery may weigh about 30 lbs depending on what you get.

The voltage put out by the panel and charger would be below 50V DC so it is relatively safe. While a battery is only 12V you can cause an issue if you short the positive and negative terminals together. The result is the battery tries to discharge it's entire contents all at once which can result in sparks and a fire so be careful.

Comment

I see, kind of like when you're jumping a car and someone touches the two ends of the jumper together and it sends sparks out?

Comment

I see, kind of like when you're jumping a car and someone touches the two ends of the jumper together and it sends sparks out?
                Yes. Low voltage shouldn't hurt you but the sparks and fire from a short circuit could kill you so be careful.

Comment

A short circuit in a FLA battery, causes the battery to heat from internal resistance, boil the electrolyte in a couple seconds, and then an acid steam explosion, giving things a good hot acid wash. Not fun.
                  A battery being charged, generates a bit of hydrogen gas, and a spark can light off a cell, and then you have a hydrogen explosion, but not quite as much hot acid spray.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Is the explosion from a 30lb battery like something huge or only hurts you if you're within a couple feet of it? I'd like to use solar/battery but it sounds kind of risky

Comment

Do you need aeration 24 hours a day?
                      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Yes it will freeze over unless there is constant water movement

Comment

Is the explosion from a 30lb battery like something huge or only hurts you if you're within a couple feet of it? I'd like to use solar/battery but it sounds kind of risky
                          While a battery is only 12V you can cause an issue if you short the positive and negative terminals together. The result is the battery tries to discharge it's entire contents all at once which can result in sparks and a fire
                          If you are holding the cables, you are likely right on top of the battery if it goes boom. If you follow reasonable safety procedures, you don't get a battery explosion. But if you start your day with " Hold my beer, watch this" be careful.

We are just pointing out risks involved. The risks can be reduced to nearly zero with a little bit of caution. There's thousands of ranchers with 12V car batteries & solar, running fence chargers in the middle of nowhere that never start fires.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                          X