Please help improve my water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help improve my water pump

I don't know how to start a new topic on this website, so I'm so sorry for making a reply here that starts a new topic. Can anyone please help me?

I have an 8W 240V water pump that needs to work 24/7. So far what I only have are 100W panel, solar charge controller, 50A 12V deep cycle battery, and inverter. What I have will only last me 3 days max. Is there a way to add/change some parts to make the pump fully function 24/7 without failure? (the less costly, the better)

You need both more battery and to recharge it, more panel.

Our question is, How many cloudy days to you need this to run for ? Generally systems are designed for 2-4 days of clouds, and day 3, the generator is started so as to not overly deplete the battery. If you say 8 days, you will need a much much larger system.

8 watt pump That would not need a very large inverter, a 50W inverter is about the smallest you can get. For things using a motor, you should use s pure sine wave inverter, it allows the pump to run cooler. High wattage inverters (over 300w) will self-consume more power internally, than your pump does. Replacing your inverter with a high efficiency pure sine wave, may be all you need to do.

8 watts x 24 hours = 192 watt hours
    50ah battery @ 12V = 600 watt hours stored, 50% are usable. If you have already drained the battery to shutdown, several times, the battery has had it's lifetime shortened quite a bit, so start the budget for a replacement battery

To get a solid 3 days, you need 1200 watt hours of battery, if you don't want to damage the battery on day 3.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

How can you prevent a battery from draining to shutdown? Some controllers have a function to prevent this?

Comment

Originally posted by MadnessGrid View Post
        How can you prevent a battery from draining to shutdown? Some controllers have a function to prevent this?
        Most charge controllers will turn off the battery at a voltage below 11V which is not good. There are other external Low Battery Relays that can be programed higher which will help extend the batteries life.

Comment

Working...
        X