Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• natel
    replied
    one solar panel to power two fans?

If I have a single 120w solar panel, can I safely power two of these fans?

Leave a comment:

• tonystewart
    replied
    Originally posted by natel
    Can you please point me towards a dc fan that home depot sells that takes 60 watts?

Master Flow 500 CFM Solar-Powered Gable Exhaust Vent is what I used. I tossed the 10 watt solar panel and substituted one Solar Panel 60 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Silicon PV from UL Solar. It only gets full panel amperage for about 1 hour.

Leave a comment:

• tonystewart
    replied
    Originally posted by peakbagger
    Up in the north country of New Hampshire an ac fan really didnt make much of difference in the gable ends vents. When I did a new roof I cut a continous slot the length of the roof and put a vented ridge cap on top of it, that made far more difference than the fan ever did.
    I had that from 1991 until 2004, then Hurricane Francis blew sideways rain into the vent and flooded the attic. Hurricane Jean tried to as well, then in 2005 Hurricane Wilma blew the shingles off the roof flooding it again. We reroofed with metro roof products metal roof shingles with vents. Ridge caps are becoming scarce in Florida since the Hurricanes.

Leave a comment:

• natel
    replied
    60 watt fan

Can you please point me towards a dc fan that home depot sells that takes 60 watts?

Originally posted by tonystewart
    I have 3 solar fans from Home Depot, mounted and sealed to the roof under 3 of the 5 "metro" metal roof vents. I have a continuous soffit with ducts between trusses.
    I attached 60 watt panels to each of them. They spin fast.
    My attic has radiant barrier on top of the fiberglass insulation and my attic temperature has lowered substantially.
    135 degrees was common in the summer, now it doesn't exceed 105.
    They have been in operation for over 14 months, I feel they will pay for themselves over time.

I'm in South Florida, Your mileage may vary

Leave a comment:

• peakbagger
    replied
    Up in the north country of New Hampshire an ac fan really didnt make much of difference in the gable ends vents. When I did a new roof I cut a continous slot the length of the roof and put a vented ridge cap on top of it, that made far more difference than the fan ever did.

Leave a comment:

• tonystewart
    replied
    I have 3 solar fans from Home Depot, mounted and sealed to the roof under 3 of the 5 "metro" metal roof vents. I have a continuous soffit with ducts between trusses.
    I attached 60 watt panels to each of them. They spin fast.
    My attic has radiant barrier on top of the fiberglass insulation and my attic temperature has lowered substantially.
    135 degrees was common in the summer, now it doesn't exceed 105.
    They have been in operation for over 14 months, I feel they will pay for themselves over time.

I'm in South Florida, Your mileage may vary

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    how much they help is dependent on how the attic is ventilated now. But generally they are not worth much.

Leave a comment:

• natel
    started a topic Solar Attic Fans

Solar Attic Fans

I'm looking into solar attic fans. My first question is why are all the solar attic fans such low wattage? My second question is do they make them that are gable mount so that I don't have to cut a big hole in my roof? Maybe an even better question is how much do attic fans help, if they even help at all?
Working...