Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running 5000 BTU air conditioner solar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
    There's a chiller out there called the Ice Bear that does just that - freezes water when energy is available and uses that heat sink at night to cool a house.
    Just watch the humidity levels if the ice can come in direct contact with the dwelling air via forced circulation and sublimate and/or evaporate the ice/liquid H2O to water vapor.

    also, if on TOU/etc., I'd suggest making the ice at off peak times and not making the ice during high billing hours.

    Overall, I'd compare the cost of such methods with simple and common air conditioning, with some of that difference in cost/efficiency probably influenced by the relative COP's of the cooling devices.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

      Years ago while I lived in New Jersey we would roll down the 4 windows and drive 40 mph to get cool air. We called it the 440 cooling system.
      I think I remember doing something similar several times when driving home drunk @ 0300 hrs. or so in the winter with my head stuck out the window and wind/snow blowing in my face. Always seemed like a good idea when I was doing it. True story: One nite I was (apparently) going so slow a snow plow actually passed me and in doing so sprayed my face and car interior and exterior with road snow/tire spray.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        Just watch the humidity levels if the ice can come in direct contact with the dwelling air via forced circulation and sublimate and/or evaporate the ice/liquid H2O to water vapor.
        This uses a completely sealed chamber full of water, and circulates the refrigerant through it.
        also, if on TOU/etc., I'd suggest making the ice at off peak times and not making the ice during high billing hours.
        Yep. Or during times when solar generation is high but prices are low (i.e. poor return on generation.) That happens more and more often here as TOU high-demand times move towards the evening.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          This uses a completely sealed chamber full of water, and circulates the refrigerant through it.

          Yep. Or during times when solar generation is high but prices are low (i.e. poor return on generation.) That happens more and more often here as TOU high-demand times move towards the evening.
          Not trying to bicker here, but if the chamber is completely sealed and full of water, what happens when the volume of the liquid/ice changes are not equal to the chamber changes in volume ? Variable/flexible chamber ?

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            Not trying to bicker here, but if the chamber is completely sealed and full of water, what happens when the volume of the liquid/ice changes are not equal to the chamber changes in volume ? Variable/flexible chamber ?
            I don't know. From pictures it's likely a combination of fairly free (i.e. flexible) copper refrigerant coils, a polypro water container with flexible insulation and air space at the top.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
              I don't know. From pictures it's likely a combination of fairly free (i.e. flexible) copper refrigerant coils, a polypro water container with flexible insulation and air space at the top.
              Thank you. No disrespect to you, but where I'm going with this is trying to figure out why this device is not simply little more than some crackpot toy conjured up to make a fast buck or two by someone or some bunch that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground with respect to HVAC or such like.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

                Years ago while I lived in New Jersey we would roll down the 4 windows and drive 40 mph to get cool air. We called it the 440 cooling system.
                That would probably work pretty well in NJ. In North Carolina we preferred the 460 systems.

                Comment


                • #68
                  TO JPM. Is there a way for me to send you a private message? Based on your lat-long I must be very close to you (Escondido). I am kurtsdcb at gmail dot com / Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Kurtsdca View Post
                    TO JPM. Is there a way for me to send you a private message? Based on your lat-long I must be very close to you (Escondido). I am kurtsdcb at gmail dot com / Thanks!
                    No. Nothing personal, but I tend to keep to myself.

                    Besides, anything I tell folks only seems to piss them off.

                    Do this:

                    1.) Never lease.
                    2.) Never buy Sunpower.
                    3) Before you even think about PV, get your use as low as possible. Do that and PV will be unnecessary and less than cost effective.

                    That's about all I ever suggest to people these days. Then, when I do, most of the time they go lease, usually Sunpower, without any other measures.

                    Anything else I could tell you can easily be found in books for very little time or effort.
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-18-2018, 02:31 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X