Running 5000 BTU air conditioner solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
    At the end of the day, the COP (and EER - and note, not SEER) is a much more reliable number to hang a hat on. It'll be subject to much less B.S. manipulation.
    Yep like SEER.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Yep like SEER.
      ???

Comment

Originally posted by Bala View Post

I live in the tropics so the ground is not cold but there is a deep creek behind the house and the air is cooler down the bottom of the creek, I did think about putting in a pipe and fan to draw the cool air up.

But being off grid generally means you are a power saver/miser or very rich, so the gain from what little cool air I would get was not worth the sacrifice of power.

I have seen and read about quite a few off grid homes, they are portrayed as being the best thing since sliced bread, but you dont very often see follow ups in 5 years to see if their batteries are still ok, or how much generator run time they need to live the life they want to.

My house is just as unbearable during the night when it is monsoon season so having an A/C unit that only runs during the day is not worth my while.

I suppose what Im trying to say is do a lot of research and consider all factors, not just sales hype and what you want to hear.
        So you have cold air down low and hot air higher up. I've wondered about doing something with some big ducting up to the house from the creek area then a very tall heat absorbing chimney. The heat rises up the chimney. During the day the effect can be amplified by the sun heating up the chimney also. As long as you keep the house closed up except those ducts maybe you could pull in passive cool air. If it wasnt quite enough maybe a small battery and solar panel system could run a fan to help at night. That or just go sleep by the creek

Comment

Lacking complete figures, I note a few other things. The inverter driven compressors seem to provide
          advantages, and the latest units seem to use 410A refrigerant. I expect a small window shaker will
          be completely out of the running.

But given reasonable performance, the determining factor might here that direct PV panel operation is
          possible. In my case effective heat pump operation down to -13F is the most important. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            The difference in the COP for refrigeration (3.66) vs. the COP when the unit is in
            heat pump mode (3.42) is inherent in the thermodynamics
            My view is simpler. When heating, the energy running the compressor contributes to the output.
            When cooling, that energy must first be removed, the remainder goes to cooling. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

???
              Use the formula switching out EER and SEER to find watts. That is where you get doctored numbers to lead one way or the other.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by nomadh View Post

So you have cold air down low and hot air higher up. I've wondered about doing something with some big ducting up to the house from the creek area then a very tall heat absorbing chimney. The heat rises up the chimney. During the day the effect can be amplified by the sun heating up the chimney also. As long as you keep the house closed up except those ducts maybe you could pull in passive cool air. If it wasnt quite enough maybe a small battery and solar panel system could run a fan to help at night. That or just go sleep by the creek
                The worst time here when you would really need cooling is night time, very high humidity. So if I were to put in a pipe I would need a decent fan, so it would be a drain on my existing system. A lot of continuous watts of a long time. There is no way I could close up the house, it would be to stuffy.

I could sleep by the creek but the mozzies would be horrendous.

This house was built for no A/C, if it gets to a point where we cant stand it any longer I will sell up and move to a house with mains power and then have all the A/C I want.

Comment

Down in Baja, some nights we prefer a pedestal fan aimed right at us to the AC with windows closed up. The fans evaporative cooling on otherwise sweating, hot skin works pretty well. I'm laughing, thinking of the mental picture this explanation may cause, but from experience I can say, the fan really works. Ceiling fans look nice but are just about useless in this scenario.
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Use the formula switching out EER and SEER to find watts. That is where you get doctored numbers to lead one way or the other.
                    SEER was developed as a single value for a "typical" U.S. climate with significant cooling loads. As such, it has shortcomings that can lead to bad decisions.

There are approximate formulas to compare EER to SEER. For a particular application, the one line formulas are mostly useless. I understand the differences of how COP (EER) and SEER are calculated. My point is that using SEER, partly because of the bin method it uses (which is no more than the frequency distribution of cooling hours throughout the U.S.), but other factors as well besides regional weather/climate variation. An SEER's relevance to reality in Minneapolis will be quite different than its relevance to reality with respect to weather/climate in Tucson. Mfgs. currently make furnaces with regional differences noted. It can be done. The regional inaccuracy is a key and crucial, but not the only weakness of the SEER logic

Another shortcoming of SEER is that it takes no account of any latent cooling load with no specific reference to humidity control, either in what, or how, such latent loads may affect performance or comfort. As building envelopes become tighter, that humidity control becomes more important for comfort and health reasons.

Another consideration, although I can't rag on the SEER method for this one too much, is that it doesn't consider duct heat gain (think of ductwork in an uninsulated attic/crawlspace) or how duct pressure drop losses will affect flow rates and thus thermal performance. For the most part those types of losses only occur in distributed systems and don't occur in minisplits. Just muddies the water more.

I'd also note that SEER applies ONLY to devices used for cooling, and not to heat pumps. For that application, Heating Seasonal Performance Factor is used (HSPF). The methodology is somewhat similar, but the numbers are numerically a whole lot smaller, reflecting the reality that getting heat out of things that are already relatively cold ("pumping " heat "up") is relatively harder to do. Typically, and while not endorsing that method for rating heat pump systems any more than the SEER method for rating cooling systems, a typical air source heat pump HSPF might be of the order of 8 - 10 or so translating to a COP of ~ 2.3 - 2.9 or so, depending on climate. And that's before considering parasitic but necessary losses for such things as coil defrost in high(er) dewpoint applications/climates.

Thus, using SEER and applying it to heat pump systems in heating mode can give an already murky situation confusing twist. If that ACDC12C unit with a somewhat incredulous SEER of 22 or so, and BTW up from a more quantifiable and reality based EER of 12.5 is somehow thought to have that type of performance in heat pump mode, doing so may lead potential users astray as to what's the best method to supply heat to a dwelling.

Comment

The ACDC12C is in the mini split class, so I believe the (very respectable) mid 3s COPs include all
                      parasitic losses. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                        The ACDC12C is in the mini split class, so I believe the (very respectable) mid 3s COPs include all
                        parasitic losses. Bruce Roe
                        Yes, in cooling mode, but lower in heating mode and that COP will get lower still as the outside amb. air temp. drops. That's just the way the 2d law of Thermodynamics works, and what all the heat pump/refrigeration system rating methods sidestep.

Have you measured the COP to confirm your beliefs ?

Dirty little secret that's related to heating and heat pump efficiency (COP):

A well insulated and sealed dwelling will not need heat until a lower outside temp. is reached than an identical dwelling that's not as well sealed, mostly because of uncontrolled or unintentional internal heat gain or solar gain. As the heat load goes down, the internal/solar gain represents a greater percentage of the (now smaller) heating load. That effectively lowers something called the balance temp. - the outside temp. below which the building requires heat to maintain comfort. Example: When I bought my first house in Buffalo, the balance temp. was about 60 F. That is, when the ave. outside temp. dropped to 60 F or less and stayed there for ~ 8 hrs. or so, the house needed heat to maintain an indoor temp. of 68 F. Once I got done remodeling and some serious conservation efforts of the variety that some neighbors and friends called extreme, the balance temp. dropped to about 43 F and, not specific to this conversation, but with some implications to HSPF, the building time constant increased to ~ 23 hours.

Now, a heat pump operating with the original load and heating profile and balance temp. would have been operating more often when it was warmer outside (warmer than 43 F), meaning it would be operating more efficiently due to operation in warmer weather, but operating more. Point is, the COP would have been higher ("better") working to a higher balance temp. ,but operating more and as a result using more electricity for heating on an annual basis. After conservation efforts, a heat pump would not have operated as much in warmer weather and with a higher percentage of the operation happening when outside temps. were lower, meaning the COP would have been lower, even though the use of electricity would have been less due to the much lower heating load.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                          Down in Baja, some nights we prefer a pedestal fan aimed right at us to the AC with windows closed up. The fans evaporative cooling on otherwise sweating, hot skin works pretty well. I'm laughing, thinking of the mental picture this explanation may cause, but from experience I can say, the fan really works. Ceiling fans look nice but are just about useless in this scenario.
                          I know what your talking about. Pedestal preferred to the ceiling fan. On a good hot humid night get out of a cold shower, dont dry yourself and hope you get to sleep before you do dry off.

Comment

On a good hot humid night get out of a cold shower,

There's been plenty of those lately.

I've always thought, there's something very wrong with laying in bed, doing nothing at all, and still sweating.
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

There's been plenty of those lately.

I've always thought, there's something very wrong with laying in bed, doing nothing at all, and still sweating.
                              If we were real serious about minimizing the sweat we would move to a cot or hammock. I here there are new bed topping devices that help shed heat and wick moisture. Anyone tried them?

Comment

The worst time here when you would really need cooling is night time, very high humidity. So if I were to put in a pipe I would need a decent fan, so it would be a drain on my existing system. A lot of continuous watts of a long time. There is no way I could close up the house, it would be to stuffy.

I could sleep by the creek but the mozzies would be horrendous.

This house was built for no A/C, if it gets to a point where we cant stand it any longer I will sell up and move to a house with mains power and then have all the A/C I want.
                                Even at night a passive heat pipe could work. A fan would help and even run off battery would still be miles ahead energywise compared to any AC. I suppose a small windmill could power the fan somewhat but then it gets all swiss family robinson looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X