X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fivewin View Post
    Also,

The Emerge Alliance claims that running DC can cut electricity use by 20 percent, simply because everything is running native, without those energy-sucking wall-warts and rectifiers. Add the up-front savings of cheaper LED bulbs and the cost of wiring the home, and the savings get much bigger. ​​​​​​​
    Some of that is true but the wiring may need to be much larger for DC loads then for AC loads due to voltage drop over a distance. Those bigger wires for DC power ends up costing more than the smaller ones required for AC power.

Comment

I myself m in fact only interested in 12v solar offgrid system and lower voltage. Only a dc fridge is the most consuming in my case but nowawadys you have very efficient fridges like sunfrost. A coffeemaker and other 12v appliances should also be no problem. How about if i install 2 systems, 1 battery in the kitchen and dc sockets connecting with FLATWIRE which i can paint in de the color of my wall.

Others install huge solar arrays generating HVDC : https://www.technologyreview.com/s/4...e-of-dc-power/

i dont need that, look at my blender heehhe
      Attached Files

Comment

You can laugh loud but the lighting of my living room is powered by powerbanks (5volt) and its now here over midnight now and its still burning fine as from 18.00 hours with accptable lumens.
        Attached Files

Comment

Listen to SunEagle : You'd lose more power heating up copper with even 48V DC than you would ever save. The I2R losses increase with the square of the current flow; 120V is about 5-6 times less lossy than 48V.

Comment

Lets wait till researchers complete their research on Vanadium dioxide.

"It shows a drastic breakdown of a textbook law that has been known to be robust for conventional conductors. This discovery is of fundamental importance for understanding the basic electronic behaviour of novel conductors."

https://www.sciencealert.com/physici...y-but-not-heat

Comment

I myself m in fact only interested in 12v solar offgrid system and lower voltage.
              That is because you are ignorant and stuck inside a 12 volt toy box. Smart people who value their money, energy, evoroment and resources would never something that foolish.

HVDC = High Voltage DC smart guy, not a toy 12 volt gizmo. You do not know the difference between low voltage and high voltage, or DC from AC. You are completely clueless and prove it from every post you make.

But I hope you keep posting and do not get banned, you are a lot of fun to laugh at and make fun of.
              Last edited by Sunking; 05-17-2018, 02:58 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

You can laugh loud but the lighting of my living room is powered by powerbanks (5volt) and its now here over midnight now and its still burning fine as from 18.00 hours with accptable lumens.
                That's a pretty blurry image. How long did you have to leave your lens open to get that shot?

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post

That's a pretty blurry image. How long did you have to leave your lens open to get that shot?
                  LOL. He should have used a tripod. He does not think people are smart enough to figure out he had to use a long exposure time in a dimly lit room.

MSEE, PE

Comment

LOL sunking. My dimmy lit 15m2 room consists of 3 pbanks with each 8 li-ions 3000 mAh, thus 360Wh @ 5volt more enough to lighten up my 15m2 living room and max 1 hour my bedroom. You need ac driven leds? Just activate my own diy efficient joulethief to it.

ive learn here watts-in = watts-out and higher voltage aint no big deal.
                    You can estimate yourself the dod% or not Sunking, max 15w x average 6hours pd. It will problably last longer than your leadacid @ 48v 10-20% dod which Herr Puekert will puke on it like on my smaller lead acid(s) @12v also for my projector tv, awaiting the launch of a new developped cheap battery type of a dutch company.

Its morning here and the sun is shining and i dont need 48v to pump water to my water tank 100% free with my wonderfull efficient small DC brushless pump @ 12v.

Have a pleasant day.

Last edited by fivewin; 05-17-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

For my own and other situations , small non aircon houses, no needed electric heating appliances, im convinced that dc power only is more efficient.
                      Others are of opinion that average homes in the west can also be better of on dc only. Others are of the opinion that you still need ac.

Respect each others and we all live in harmony
                      Most homes in modern cities with building codes, cannot be wired with 12 DC as safe switches just don't exist. RV's and Boats have specific codes for 12V wiring, and that scheme could be applied to Tiny Houses, but only for small LED lighting loads and tiny fans and such. With 12v, you can forget many appliances, they draw a prohibitive amount of power at low voltage, so you would have to install conventional AC wiring, with wall outlets every 10 feet and such, and the advantage of small DC goes away. For powering a small cabin, hunting hut or such, that's one thing, but a house with 2 or more full time adults, in industrial countries, building codes wont allow it.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I understand Mike. Low voltage systems can be used for small houses and if you dont have a lot of amps to draw from your battery. I think for only some lamps, tv and tiny pump and a fan i think its ok, also charging gadgets. Perhaps a seperate system for a 12v fridge when fridges like sunfrost will become cheaper and no more inefficient peltier fridges/coolbox and perhaps a coffeemaker or 12v watercooker (10-15min p day only)

Here ex-laptop li-ions are widely available re-charged to 4 volt. They sell it for cheap. So, i thought i experiment lighting with powerbanks. Reuse, reduse and save is my motto and perhaps others here can immitate so they have a cheap alternative cause millions use fuel generators as backup for lighting only, also small shops where they use ac electricity only for some lamps.

And if all here like me try to make their own biodigester for waste food, briquetes from waster paper and perhaps pyrolises plastic the world looks better without needing a gascompany and nearly no garbage @home.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by fivewin; 05-18-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

About the wiring code in your country, the DC fans (people) wants,

Quote:

Revise our current wiring codes to reduce the number of 110V outlets and circuits required. Now most electrical codes demand outlets every 12 feet, in every ceiling, duplex outlets in kitchens. Copper is expensive and its mining is destructive; if there is 12VDC wiring then an outlet per room for the vacuum cleaner is all that is needed. That way, there can be dual systems in a house without any more copper than is needed now.
                          12VDC power needs no childproofing, no wall warts, creates no EMF and makes adding incremental sources like solar and wind much easier. Let's make it the standard.
                          Last edited by fivewin; 05-18-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

About the wiring code, the DC people wants:
                            Quote:

Revise our current wiring codes to reduce the number of 110V outlets and circuits required. Now most electrical codes demand outlets every 12 feet, in every ceiling, duplex outlets in kitchens. Copper is expensive and its mining is destructive; if there is 12VDC wiring then an outlet per room for the vacuum cleaner is all that is needed. That way, there can be dual systems in a house without any more copper than is needed now.
                            12VDC power needs no childproofing, no wall warts, creates no EMF and makes adding incremental sources like solar and wind much easier. Let's make it the standard.
                            Only an idiot would believe that BS from Google. Trust me will never see the light of day. I sat on the NEC code making panel for 9 years. Fortunately people who write codes and standards know what they are doing.

Mods you need to shut this guy down before some lurker takes him serious. His ideas are extremely dangerous and good enough reason to shut him down.
                            Last edited by Sunking; 05-18-2018, 09:10 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Fivewin, you've made your points and have gotten good feedback. I think Sunking is right in that this thread might encourage others to start throwing 12V non-permitted, poorly engineered battery/solar systems in their homes. It sounds to me like a recipe for a fire and I think it's time to conclude the discussion and move to something else. Please stop evangelizing about converting US homes to 12V DC.

Comment

Im sorry, im not trying to convinced anyone for 12v and/or dc, just wanna share info that there are people on this planet think that nowadays we can generate our own dc electricity so why not try to run house appliances as much as possible on dc.

Btw talking about dc, this is cool. A 3500BTU 12-24volt aircon which can run directly on solar, battery or ac. If its available here i buy it tomorow and run it ofcourse without inverter cause it will draw more amps from the battery

Coolala AircOn

Added:
                                It seems that dc fans only gets warnings here and not the ones who for example say: "another stupid with 12volt toys".
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by fivewin; 05-19-2018, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X