Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you offer some advice on refrigeration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see where you're calculating LP cost. I'm dealing with this exact ordeal at my off grid vacation cabin. I've burnt through 320 gallons of propane in 14 months, and at $1.79 a gallon that adds up. I'm going with a Dometic 65 dual zone. They make a larger 95 qt version that you might look into. Not spending $500/year on propane will pay for the Dometic in 2 years. I leave the fridge on year around, because they take 24 hours to cool down and I like keeping cold drinks, condiments, etc there so I don't have to haul those everytime I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonie View Post
      I didn't see where you're calculating LP cost. I'm dealing with this exact ordeal at my off grid vacation cabin. I've burnt through 320 gallons of propane in 14 months, and at $1.79 a gallon that adds up. I'm going with a Dometic 65 dual zone. They make a larger 95 qt version that you might look into. Not spending $500/year on propane will pay for the Dometic in 2 years. I leave the fridge on year around, because they take 24 hours to cool down and I like keeping cold drinks, condiments, etc there so I don't have to haul those everytime I go.
      Do you have 120V power? I converted a chest freezer to a fridge and it only consumes .5Kwh a day.
      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
        search for solar chest type refrigeration. vertical front load units will run the compressor each time you open the door, chest type will cycle much less often and for a shorter run time. chest types can also maintain temp for many hours w/o power.
        Very close to what i use, chest freezer with temp control kicks on for seconds multi-times very cool but butt ugly. just set temp to 34-37F very low power consumption
        freez1.png
        Last edited by Paul Land; 01-16-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X