X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

New Lawnmower!

My old mower croaked, my neighbor gave me this one (also with blown engine), and I had an electric gokart that my son has grown out of - so.....
    Attached Files
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Looks like a fun project. Talk to Sunking, I think he might know how to make it a little faster.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

I'm just tired of these unreliable ICE engines.....
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• bcroe
        bcroe commented
        Editing a comment
        In the 70s my 8hp snow blower motor blew up, so I adopted my 4hp electric compressor motor. The motor and
        100' extension cord are still in service here today, but the snow blower at the new place is 27hp AWD. Bruce Roe

• solarix
        solarix commented
        Editing a comment
        I also made an electric rototiller. No smoke in the greenhouse!
    • Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by solarix
      I'm just tired of these unreliable ICE engines.....
      Will see how tired you really are when it can cost you $5000 to replace that $1000 engine with Motor, Batteries, and Controller. You could buy a brand new JD Lawn Tractor for less than it is going to cost you for something that does not work as good.

I take it this is a riding Lawn Mower? That will require some challenges because of the Low RPM nature of the design. Most riding mower motors operate at 3600 RPM. I know a few folks who have done this and I helped them out. Most work with High Torque OEM Golf Cart Motors, Controllers, and AGM batteries. Or if you can afford a $2500 battery lithium.

However this is the WRONG FORUM to get any meaningful help Try DIY EV

Two options on motors. D&D Motors if you go the DC motor route, or HPEV for AC motor. Most likely because of the Low RPM nature and budget you will go with a 48 volt Series Wound DC motor. Just besure to do your homework because the 48 volt DC motors come in two flavors: Speed and Torque, you want Torque, something where peak power band is at 3000 to 3600 RPM's

You can get a good 48 volt DC Series Wound motor for $600, another $500 for a 650 amp controller, and another $600 for cheap 2-year batteries. Or if you want AC you can get a 16 Hp/80 HP peak with 550 Amp Controller for $2400, plus another $2500 for a 48 volt 100 AH lithium battery.
      Last edited by Sunking; 08-29-2016, 11:15 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• solarix
        solarix commented
        Editing a comment
        I already had the all the stuff except the three batteries. Had to spend a couple hours machining (doesn't everyone have a machine shop?) an adapter to the pulleys. Works great. Very powerful and quiet - and so nice to just get on flip the switch and go - no swearing at the engine to get it to start....
    • J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
      In the 70s my 8hp snow blower motor blew up, so I adopted my 4hp electric compressor motor. The motor and
      100' extension cord are still in service here today, but the snow blower at the new place is 27hp AWD. Bruce Roe
      Whd'ya do - move to a snow belt ? 27 HP's pretty nationwide. Come with a cab/coffeemaker/satellite radio ?

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        Whd'ya do - move to a snow belt ? 27 HP's pretty nationwide. Come with a cab/coffeemaker/satellite radio?
        I moved from 1/2 acre (zoned AG) near work, to 5 acres (zoned AG) 100 miles away. Unlike most of IL, the terrain is hilly enough to
        make AWD necessary for mowing and snow blowing (480' of drive + 1000' of paths to buildings & PV array). The smallest tractor
        with AWD and PTO drive is a Simplicity Legacy, which does come with a cup holder and cruise control (I use neither), and power
        steering. A cab can be used for snow blowing, but the job is done so quickly its hardly worth the trouble. Bruce Roe
        Last edited by bcroe; 08-29-2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

I moved from 1/2 acre (zoned AG) near work, to 5 acres (zoned AG) 100 miles away. Unlike most of IL, the terrain is hilly enough to
          make AWD necessary for mowing and snow blowing (480' of drive + 1000' of paths to buildings & PV array). The smallest tractor
          with AWD and PTO drive is a Simplicity Legacy, which does come with a cup holder and cruise control (I use neither), and power
          steering. A cab can be used for snow blowing, but the job is done so quickly its hardly worth the trouble. Bruce Roe
          From someone who once lived in a 100 + "/yr. snow climate, understood.

J.P.M.

Comment

Working...