Proposed Solar Wireless Surveillance System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogerRetro View Post
    OK, that's two votes for, and one against. majority wins.
    I'll use fuses.
    Thanks,
    Roger
    A fuse is a very inexpensive way to protect the wiring between electrical components. While not necessary by code in some places most electrical experienced people decide it is a wise action to take.

Comment

A question about fuses and diodes... I asked a Renogy rep if fuses and diodes are necessary for this system using two of their 50W panels and 20A controller, and he claimed that neither is required. However... the Tracer manual indicates fuses for PV input and Battery output. I'd like to get a practical opinion on this.
      Thanks,
      Roger
      First note never ever trust any manufacture where electrical code and safety is involved. Why you ask. Because you got two different answers, they do not know squat about electrical code requirements.

A fuse is REQUIRED between the battery and controller, and the fuse must be located on the battery term post to be effective.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Code requirements are a good point, however this system is developed as a 'portable' system, not attached to the house. It is only driving a 4.5W load (surveillance camera) and the battery and control panel will be in a steel weatherproof enclosure. I guess I can afford the added cost of a couple of fuses for this $1000 "investment".
        Thanks,
        Roger

Comment

Code requirements are a good point, however this system is developed as a 'portable' system, not attached to the house. It is only driving a 4.5W load (surveillance camera) and the battery and control panel will be in a steel weatherproof enclosure. I guess I can afford the added cost of a couple of fuses for this $1000 "investment".
          Thanks,
          Roger
          Fuses are a cheap investment to keep your system safe.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 03-16-2016, 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Fuses are a cheap investment for to keep your system safe.
            Depending on where the system is mounted, it would really suck to burn your house or the tree or pole the system is mounted on. Your loss could be more than just the cost of the system itself.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
            X