Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Mike, have you considered or investigated a "soft start"?

These guys know their stuff and may be able to help:

Comment

• DanS26
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2011

Mike, have you investigated a "soft start"? Try the guys at Hyper Engineering in Indiana they may be able to help.

ps site will not let me post a link

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Soft start is not my issue. The generator is incapable of powering loads AND heavy battery charging simultaneously, because the loads (pump) have poor power factor and rob the generator of capacity. When the PF goes bad, the AC waveform deteriorates and then the Protector shuts the pump off. If I cancel battery charging, then the 3Kw generator has enough headroom to run a 1Kw (1/2hp) pump. My other generator is a beefy wound antique and runs charger and loads just fine.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• MichaelK!
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Mike90250
          Franklin Pump Protectors:

The Pumptec line of pump protectors from Franklin Electric are computer-based pump/motor protection devices which monitor load and power conditions to provide superior protection.
          Thank you for this link and information. I went back to Franklin-Electric again, and typed in "Pumptec" and got "No Results" again, even though you can see the Franklin Electric logo on the documents included on the pump warehouse site. Do you have any idea why that is? I have to say that after trying to conduct on-line research about companies like Franklin and Grounfos, it seems they'd rather have their teeth pulled than provide information about their products.

Comment

• DanS26
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MichaelK!

Thank you for this link and information. I went back to Franklin-Electric again, and typed in "Pumptec" and got "No Results" again, even though you can see the Franklin Electric logo on the documents included on the pump warehouse site. Do you have any idea why that is? I have to say that after trying to conduct on-line research about companies like Franklin and Grounfos, it seems they'd rather have their teeth pulled than provide information about their products.
            These are old line companies......sell through plumbing distributors. They seem to not know that an electronic revolution is going on around them.

It's just a matter of time before a Chinese, Indian, or Korean company will eat their lunch.

By the the way, I have a Pumptec......good product but way overpriced in their old line supply chain.

Comment

• DanS26
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Soft start is not my issue. The generator is incapable of powering loads AND heavy battery charging simultaneously, because the loads (pump) have poor power factor and rob the generator of capacity. When the PF goes bad, the AC waveform deteriorates and then the Protector shuts the pump off. If I cancel battery charging, then the 3Kw generator has enough headroom to run a 1Kw (1/2hp) pump. My other generator is a beefy wound antique and runs charger and loads just fine.
              Well, it sounds like you have a decision to make......scrap the Pumptec or buy a better generator. Seems like a simple choice to me.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Yes. it is a trend in the small generator market, that the smaller machines (and likely the larger ones too) are going to be rated much closer to their operational limits, than traditional generators. Gotta be a trade-off between an old 3Kw alternator @ 160 lbs and a new 3Kw alt @ 60 lbs. When you take away lots of copper and steel, you also loose the margins (and flywheel effect) that mass supplies.
                ST head info:

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...