caption of the short bus needs water heater help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charles2,david000k View Post
    The overall point though is to be able to run my stuff without AC power incase the power goes out and it does here we get freezing fog, ice storms, and power was out for a month last year two weeks the year before. This has been our warmest winter in a while. and just overall it's a 4,500 watt water heater.

I plan on running a 12AWG wire from the dump load to water heater tomorrow and seeing what happens. all else fails : I loss a water heater.
    I would like to buy a 2k sun grid tie inverter but no one will tell me if they perform well or not but sun grid tie is in my price range.
    The reason nobody is commenting is probably they don't understand your needs - I don't. The people here are very knowledgeable, but they generally won't spend time on something that is not defined, won't be done to code, etc etc. If I understand it, you are looking at replacing one 4500W element with a 600W element, and disconnecting the other. If you do that, how will you get the water heated, and what will power it? You said in another thread that you can use 90+kwh per day, but here your house sounds like it isn't completed yet.

How are you going to run your house for a month with the grid down, with a grid-tied solar system?

Comment

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
      The reason nobody is commenting is probably they don't understand your needs - I don't. The people here are very knowledgeable, but they generally won't spend time on something that is not defined, won't be done to code, etc etc. If I understand it, you are looking at replacing one 4500W element with a 600W element, and disconnecting the other. If you do that, how will you get the water heated, and what will power it? You said in another thread that you can use 90+kwh per day, but here your house sounds like it isn't completed yet.

How are you going to run your house for a month with the grid down, with a grid-tied solar system?
      you make a good point I do jump around alot when I think. My home is ready for final inspection if I remove all the DC. All my AC wiring is done and up running. Everything I know came from the book.
      (BLACK&DECKER The Complete guide to wiring 5th Edition Current with 2011-2013 Electrical codes)

I would like to replace both elements but with the length of wire and Awg it would take just does not seem practical I guess would be the word for it. So if I can just do the lower to keep the upper from kicking on during the day would be nice. But I still have the problem of transporting 24V @ 25A over a 35ft wire.
      This is the the instruction video "I THINK" for installing the element. https://youtu.be/_s5h4Gs07fc Mine is the one without the ajustable dial. I have asked the manufacturer to send me a wiring diagram through my e-mail. But is how he explains the insulation correct?

Comment

you make a good point I do jump around alot when I think. My home is ready for final inspection if I remove all the DC. All my AC wiring is done and up running. Everything I know came from the book.
        (BLACK&DECKER The Complete guide to wiring 5th Edition Current with 2011-2013 Electrical codes)

I would like to replace both elements but with the length of wire and Awg it would take just does not seem practical I guess would be the word for it. So if I can just do the lower to keep the upper from kicking on during the day would be nice. But I still have the problem of transporting 24V @ 25A over a 35ft wire.
        This is the the instruction video "I THINK" for installing the element. https://youtu.be/_s5h4Gs07fc Mine is the one without the ajustable dial. I have asked the manufacturer to send me a wiring diagram through my e-mail. But is how he explains the insulation correct?
        Your wasting your time and money. The element is of some use with a wind or hydro system that uses a dump load anyway.

With your sized solar system, and unknown battery size/quality, there is no way you are going to have enough spare? power for enough hrs during the day to heat any significant amount of water.

Comment

HOW will you heat sufficiently water with 600 Watts as a "dump load"? Unless your water heater is 8 gallons, I don't see it happening. You convert your water heater to DC, then you have to heat with just DC. A dump load is for excess energy. From what you have posted, you have none. You appear to be worried about a minor detail like electrocution, instead of designing a system that is capable of doing a defined task. As funny as it sounds, the latter is more important in the beginning. I'm jumping off the short bus, like Mannix.

Comment

You guys are right it is a waste of time and money. Thank you for clarifying.

Comment

Was this thread closed?

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                Was this thread closed?
                I don't think so
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

I don't think so
                  It is funny that it shows up on my list of New Topics but I can't make it go away.

Comment

Working...
                  X