X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nomadh
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Some hippie types were really into self sufficiency and all the hard work that entails but I think its become pretty obvious that for most hippies its about being lazy. Lazy about work and what it takes to keep themselves fed and sheltered. Lazy about what it takes for over head to keep people safe and a country safe. Lazy about what the real threats to life and freedom are. And at the pinnacle of it all, lazy thinking.

They did make so great music though

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by copymepls
      Fancy carbon fiber bicycles are not weapons, they give you nice legs.
      If the goal of some bike riders is to be healthy and excercise why do they use those modern, super-light, high-efficiency CF bikes anyway? My old Schwinn Continental 10-speed will build muscles way faster than a modern lightweight CF bike.

I buy old stuff all the time and go to great effort to buy used and re-use it before buying something new. That's my small contribution to the earth. I try not to be the first in line for the latest do-dad those brain-washed consumers think they must own. If someone has already used earth's resources to build a widget then better to keep using that widget than to bury it at the landfill and make another. Am I saving the earth? Of course not...just slowing down its demise very immeasurably.

Without a doubt we humans will ruin the earth eventually, we just don't know when.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by azdave
        Without a doubt we humans will ruin the earth eventually, we just don't know when.
        We will only ruin the earth from the point of view of supporting human life with the quality to which we have become accustomed (poor as that is in much of the world.)
        We could certainly trigger a mass extinction, and by dithering sufficiently humans could end up being part of that extinction, but the planet will remain.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• copymepls
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by azdave

If the goal of some bike riders is to be healthy and excercise why do they use those modern, super-light, high-efficiency CF bikes anyway? My old Schwinn Continental 10-speed will build muscles way faster than a modern lightweight CF bike.

I buy old stuff all the time and go to great effort to buy used and re-use it before buying something new. That's my small contribution to the earth. I try not to be the first in line for the latest do-dad those brain-washed consumers think they must own. If someone has already used earth's resources to build a widget then better to keep using that widget than to bury it at the landfill and make another. Am I saving the earth? Of course not...just slowing down its demise very immeasurably.

I meant from the perspective of using a bicycle on roads designed for cars to get around and keep up with traffic on some slow streets. I been going without a car the last 4 years, getting around on a bike 10,000 miles a year is NOWHERE NEAR AS HARD as some lazy hippies I know think it is. Eventually new bikes need to be built and sold and more and more are being made of carbon fiber, but with huge price tags, the durability should improve in carbon design as time passes and prices are falling. I was riding a Walmart bike in the beginning, then I got a few used bikes, then I wanted something newer so I built a new bike so I could put a powermeter on it (when I learned of powermeters I was like "A dynamometer I can put on my bike to measure myself and take everywhere with me... SWEET. I have to get one").

Comment

• BrentEMarvin
            • May 2016

Yes, definitely going green means going solar. You save your envirnoment and live in a clean energy. Sun energy is batter than electricity power. It is beneficial for envirnoment as well as for financially.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by BrentEMarvin
              Yes, definitely going green means going solar. You save your envirnoment and live in a clean energy. Sun energy is batter than electricity power. It is beneficial for envirnoment as well as for financially.
              I am sorry Brent but that is not necessarily true. While solar will help reduce your usage of the grid power it is not really green. It may also save you money but will hardly save the environment because it is "clean" unless you turn off all your electrical devices before the sun goes down. Because without sunlight solar does not generate any power.

If you are talking about generating power without emitting carbon dioxide then the cleanest way to to that is use nuclear power generation as your base power and renewable energy when it is available.

Comment

• BrentEMarvin
                BrentEMarvin commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought that solar energy is cleaner then electricity power. If I live in a sunny area then what will you say? I have installed solar light in my home and it reduces my electricity bill. But I don't know if I install solar panels on my roof then how does it work?
            • Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by BrentEMarvin
              Who told you that crap.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• kingofbanff
                • Jan 2016

The OP left out the only worthwhile question. Is the hippie mom hot?

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by kingofbanff
                  The OP left out the only worthwhile question. Is the hippie mom hot?
                  They use to be.

Grace Slick back then

Grace Slick today

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

However there are exceptions.

Goldie Hawn back then

Goldie Hawn today.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      While solar will help reduce your usage of the grid power it is not really green. It may also save you money but will hardly save the environment because it is "clean" unless you turn off all your electrical devices before the sun goes down. Because without sunlight solar does not generate any power.
                      SunEagle, seems like you're arguing "unless it's perfect, it's worthless". If we were to power the grid mostly from solar and wind when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing, that'd cut our carbon generation quite a bit, don't you think?

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by DanKegel

SunEagle, seems like you're arguing "unless it's perfect, it's worthless". If we were to power the grid mostly from solar and wind when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing, that'd cut our carbon generation quite a bit, don't you think?
                        You are fooling yourself. Solar and wind is dynamic source of power trying to feed a dynamic load. It will not work. The very second a cloud passes over, or the wind slows for a moment and you have a instant Black Out. You must have Conventional Generation on line at all times running hot. You are not saving any fuel or emissions. In fact you are pissing away resources and burning more fuel. Those panels and wind turbines did not fall out of the sky. It took a incredible amount of energy and materials to make them.

How else can you explain what has happened to California? Since you went green you went from importing 10% of your electric energy in late 80's to importing over 30% today despite using less power. What part do you refuse to understand or admit?
                        Last edited by Sunking; 06-05-2016, 03:48 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                          The very second a cloud passes over, or the wind slows for a moment and you have a instant Black Out.
                          That's a bit overstated. Yes, there will be days with zero wind and zero solar generation. Yes, that means we need to keep natural gas power plants around to handle days like that.

Nevertheless, on average, solar and wind generation will allow us to significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions. The energy payback time of monocrystalline solar panels was recently estimated as 1 to 4 years ( see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6403211500146X and http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../pip.2548/full ), and its lifetime co2 emissions were recently estimated at 38 grams co2 per kWh ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...27024813004455 ) -- far less than even natural gas generation.

Nuclear power plants could be part of the solution, too. The US hasn't had good luck getting those built on time or under budget, though; I still remember when Washington State cancelled a few. That was very expensive.

As for California -- what's wrong there? We've reduced our energy use, our economy is in good shape (the very first page I looked at on the subject, http://www.businessinsider.com/state...gs-2014-8?op=1, rated California's economy #2 out of all states in 2014), and we're phasing out imported coal-fired energy over the next few years. If CAISO's expansion plans work out, we may end up exporting energy fairly often, even.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

As I said before I really don't care if the carbon output is cut or not. I just like trees and think cutting them down to increase solar production is short sited and greedy.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

That's a bit overstated. Yes, there will be days with zero wind and zero solar generation. Yes, that means we need to keep natural gas power plants around to handle days like that.

Nevertheless, on average, solar and wind generation will allow us to significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions. The energy payback time of monocrystalline solar panels was recently estimated as 1 to 4 years ( see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6403211500146X and http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../pip.2548/full ), and its lifetime co2 emissions were recently estimated at 38 grams co2 per kWh ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...27024813004455 ) -- far less than even natural gas generation.

Nuclear power plants could be part of the solution, too. The US hasn't had good luck getting those built on time or under budget, though; I still remember when Washington State cancelled a few. That was very expensive.

As for California -- what's wrong there? We've reduced our energy use, our economy is in good shape (the very first page I looked at on the subject, http://www.businessinsider.com/state...gs-2014-8?op=1, rated California's economy #2 out of all states in 2014), and we're phasing out imported coal-fired energy over the next few years. If CAISO's expansion plans work out, we may end up exporting energy fairly often, even.
                              So you don't believe that the increase of RE % in CA has anything to do with the increase of your electric power generation costs? Really!!!!

Comment

Working...